Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone's mail app

iPhone's mail app
mr breaker
Jun 30, 2007, 06:17 PM

Has anyone found a way to either delete or mark all of the messages in the inbox as read?

It downloaded about 300 messages from my gmail account, but they are all "unread" in the iPhone.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 06:37 PM

You're right there seems to be no easy way. I read through the iPhone manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

But, if you open the first message, you can rapidly move through the following messages with the down triangle,. I tested it to see if it sets them to "Message Read" and removes the blue dot, I was able to rapidly move through the messages and reset them to Read. Clicking about 2 per second, should only take you about a a minute and a half...
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 30, 2007, 06:47 PM

Is there any way to set up message rules like you can in Mail on the Mac? I don't like the way Gmail shows all sent messages as new messages in your inbox when using POP. Until I can find a way to do that, Gmail is useless for me on the iPhone.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
Is there any way to set up message rules like you can in Mail on the Mac? I don't like the way Gmail shows all sent messages as new messages in your inbox when using POP. Until I can find a way to do that, Gmail is useless for me on the iPhone.
If you have a number of rules, the best way to tackle this would be to use an email system that allows you to setup server-side rules (such as sieve, mailfilter, etc.). This way, your client doesn't have to support rules (and you don't have to configure your rules on each client you use).

Does GMail have a place where you can designate rules? If so, there is a good chance these would be server side rules, and not simply rules negotiated by the GMail client.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 07:52 PM

This is why even though the email is nice on the iPhone, we need to bring our mobile email app to the iPhone with a UI that it deserves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules