Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone hardware deficiencies?

iPhone hardware deficiencies?
todd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2007, 01:02 PM

Apple can solve most issues with software updates (to-do app, better note manager/sync, etc..). But, are there any hardware issues others have noticed? Of course, there is the 3G support, or 802.11n, and things like that.... But, when talking about the iPhone being used as designed, are there any hardware improvements needed?

The one thing I have missed in common usage is: A LED message / call-missed indicator. Now, I must click it on to see the screen and any status message. A tiny LED next to the speaker would be nice to show that I should check the iPhone status. One of those invisible-when-off lights, like on the MacBook Pro iSight, would work nicely.

-Q-
Jul 30, 2007, 02:10 PM

Haven't really found any hardware 'defects' or things I really miss from my other phones. I myself kind of like not having an indicator LED like you mentioned, but I could see the usefulness of it in a later revision for others.

My pearl did have a flash but I don't really think it's truly necessary to have one on this phone. Otherwise, can't really think of anything I'm personally missing on the hardware side other than 3G (need some definite additions to the software side tho').

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2007, 02:32 PM

I would like there to be some sort of indicator when the phone is sleeping. Sometimes I like to just glance at it from across the room to see if I've missed any calls, have any emails or messages. Making the Home button glow and "throb" much like Macs do when they are asleep would be a cool indicator. I don't mean to suggest they make it bright and obnoxious, but make it nice and subtle.

Other than that, maybe a louder speaker for speakerphone and music and such. That might be fixable in software, I don't know, but I assume its more a hardware thing.

-Q-
Jul 30, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I would like there to be some sort of indicator when the phone is sleeping. Sometimes I like to just glance at it from across the room to see if I've missed any calls, have any emails or messages. Making the Home button glow and "throb" much like Macs do when they are asleep would be a cool indicator. I don't mean to suggest they make it bright and obnoxious, but make it nice and subtle.

Other than that, maybe a louder speaker for speakerphone and music and such. That might be fixable in software, I don't know, but I assume its more a hardware thing.
I love the concept of the first one. Hopefully could be implemented with no impact on battery life at all (I'd imagine it wouldn't affect it at all).

And the second one is a good point. I can barely hear the speakerphone when listening to voicemails, although it seems to sound ok for music or a tv show. I'm betting it has more to do with the quality the voicemail is recorded in than the speaker in this instance. But a general improvement in the speaker could definitely help.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:30 PM

The speaker volume - across the board - is my only hardware complaint and I hope it's misplaced blame. I'd love it if an upcoming software update would make the phone louder... Ringers, speakerphone, message alerts... All of it.

As it is now, this is the only phone I've ever had where it has to be in the room with me to hear a call. If it's in my office on the charger and I'm in the family room... Forget about it. It might as well be "off the hook." As for messages, definitely forget about that! I'd like to be able to set different sounds for SMS and e-mail... And have them be louder.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 02:27 PM

The stupid recessed miniRCA port is my favorite pet peeve. If you want to plug it in to any non-Apple speakers, you need an adapter (Apple should have either included in the box or should not have recessed this connector in the first place).

This is clearly a revA problem; whether Apple fixes it in revB or iPhone 2.0, who knows.

mr breaker
Jul 31, 2007, 03:17 PM

I would like a GPS chip in the phone. If it had one, you would have the potential to have a fully functional GPS unit....either integrated into the google maps application, or a whole new "widget". Maybe one that has all of the maps already downloaded.

This ould significantly increase the value of the iPhone. And put a serious dent into Garmin and Tom Tom's business. Those portable GPS units usually run $300+.

And it would be nice if they increased the volume of the speaker for phone applications. It does seem much louder when playing music, so my guess is that it could be changed with an update?

todd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 05:41 PM

Yes, GPS is a good one. I would love to have the equivalent of my Garmin Nuvi as an application on the iPhone. Integration with Google Maps would be handy, and also tagging your photos with GPS coordinates would be cool.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 07:07 PM

I'd like to use my iPhone as a personal safety device. To that end, I hope the next version has Taser contacts on the base.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I'd like to use my iPhone as a personal safety device. To that end, I hope the next version has Taser contacts on the base.
It's already pretty heavy as it is... a good throw should do

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:58 PM

My speaker volume is ok for music/movies/speakerphone, but the speaker at the top of the unit for normal calls is barely even usable. I have to be in a silent room and with the volume all the way to just barely make out what someone is saying.

With respect to an earlier post about nonapple speakers, does the line out on the dock work if the dock isn't plugged in to anything? Maybe sending line level audio to powered speakers is a temporary option.

I don't mind the recessed headphone port as I like the headphones it came with.

Is there any way to only activate half the screen to display missed calls and do it with minimum backlight?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules