Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT 2004 freezes

UT 2004 freezes
HamSandwich
Sep 26, 2007, 12:03 PM

Hey everyone,
I just installed UT 2004 with the latest patch on my new iMac and it works beautifully except for the fact that it freezes randomly. Sometimes, everything just stops and you have to do a hard reboot. Any ideas? Don't know what to do...

Greetings,
Steve

NewCarsAreStupid
Baninated
Sep 26, 2007, 12:57 PM

Yep. Get a white 24" iMac. The current 'improved' models have a horrible videocard with crap drivers, and so far apple hasn't fixed it yet. I'd take it back. Just ask for a refund, and spend the money on a 24" white iMac with a 7600GT. You'll play games faster anyway.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SteveJobs View Post
Hey everyone,
I just installed UT 2004 with the latest patch on my new iMac and it works beautifully except for the fact that it freezes randomly. Sometimes, everything just stops and you have to do a hard reboot. Any ideas? Don't know what to do...

Greetings,
Steve
Ignore the perma-noob troll.
I don't know if all the new iMacs do this, but certainly a lot of them do. Mine included. I started a post about it in this forum already. Although it was derailed constantly by said troll.
Some software seems to trigger the issue more than other software does. UT2004 is a popular candidate for this however. Call AppleCare and report it. If they claim to have not heard of the problem before, its complete BS, and demand to speak to someone with more authority.
Interestingly, my iMac also did exactly the same thing in Winblows XP with a PC version of UT2004.

However, the iMac is not crashing in either OS, the OS is still running just fine underneath (as fine as XP ever will be anyway). Its the graphics system on its own that is locking up. Whether the problem is hardware or software related, I don't know (could still be software as Apple provide graphics drivers via Bootcamp to run XP also).

There isn't anything you alone can do to fix it. So don't waste time reinstalling anything and performing various maintenance tasks. Its either a hardware fault, or a software fault, in which case a future update will likely fix it.
At first I thought the iMac software updater (v1.1) fixed it. But it did not. In fact for many folks it may have made things worse.
Either way, you must get onto Apple and pester them for an answer.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules