Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Surprise! Surprise! Found better graphics card in my iMac than described

Surprise! Surprise! Found better graphics card in my iMac than described
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 01:48 AM

I knew you could hit the Jackpot with refurbished Macs, and get better equipment than described.

But my 24" iMac is new, all three seals on the box were intact.

And still, there's a nVidia 7600GT in my iMac, not the 7300GT, as described on the box.

Found out about it, when I opened iMovie6 to see what it looked like, and it crashed every time. Looked into the crash report I sent to apple, and, under hardware stats, found the 7600GT.

Thinking it an error, I go to "about this mac", and what do I find there?

Under graphics/displays I found the nVidia GEFORCE 7600 GT, 256mb Vram.

Only explanation: mine was one of the last built, and they had some 7600GT left over, and they put it in.

Very much appreciated.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 01:49 AM

Nice! 2.13 GHz processor though?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2007, 02:08 PM

I believe this is not so unusual for refurbs. More ram than quoted is fairy common too (So I have read)
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Only explanation: mine was one of the last built, and they had some 7600GT left over, and they put it in.
More likely they just had a lemon with a 7600GT returned and either goofed or didn't have an iMac with 7300GT available at the refurb depot.

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 08:25 PM

His was new...

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 08:50 PM

It was a new unit, and the seals were intact.

Of course it was new, and the seals were intact. Apple wouldn't put refurbs into new, sealed boxes.

I was just lucky, and it was a great thing to do. (who has ever heard of Dell giving away more than you paid for?)

I didn't go for refurb. I kind of like the new computer smell...

All the other specs are normal, so 2.16ghz, etc...

Now, together with 3 Gb Ram it's a well equipped machine... but the best of all is the great screen. Color reproduction is so much better than on the 20" iMac, it's all clear and crisp.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2007, 09:53 PM

Where'd you buy a new old machine?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 11:33 PM

Mac Connection.

Apple itself doesn't sell computers once they are replaced with a new model, but several retailers like Mac Mall, Mac Connection, J&R, or the New York Photo house B&H still sell the replaced model, which is new in the box with factory seals.

The fact that there is a replacement model doesn't make the other computers "less new".

For me, the white 24" was better suited to what I do, and I also liked the design better.

It is quite natural that this happens, even with a company like Apple, which has good control over their stock pile. It is impossible to get all stock down to zero at the time the new model comes out. Nobody can do that. So the remaining stock will, while still a new computer with full warranty, be sold at a discount.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2007, 03:15 AM

I'm confused. Did you get a refurb (brown box) or a new iMac? Can you give us the first 5 characters of your s/n?

On refurbs it happens quite often that you get a better BTO option than advertised (especially RAM). On a new iMacs that would be rather suspicious although not impossible. The stealth minis also came with better specs than indicated on the box sticker. What does the box sticker say?

Here in Europe Apple's offering a lot of 24" iMacs as inexpensive refurbs. They advertise them with 2.16 GHz and the 7300. If I knew for sure it would come with a 7600 I'd know two guys here at work that would certainly get one for games.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm confused. Did you get a refurb (brown box) or a new iMac? Can you give us the first 5 characters of your s/n?

On refurbs it happens quite often that you get a better BTO option than advertised (especially RAM). On a new iMacs that would be rather suspicious although not impossible. The stealth minis also came with better specs than indicated on the box sticker. What does the box sticker say?

Here in Europe Apple's offering a lot of 24" iMacs as inexpensive refurbs. They advertise them with 2.16 GHz and the 7300. If I knew for sure it would come with a 7600 I'd know two guys here at work that would certainly get one for games.
It is a new iMac, NOT a refurb, with the regular, colorful box, and all seals intact, as I said.

Box sticker says 7300GT.

But I would not really count on it happening every time.

AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 01:56 PM

Congrats on hitting the jackpot!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2007, 03:17 AM

Great news then! According to the s/n you sent me, your iMac was manufactured sometime after July 23. So that's just about a month before the new iMacs started shipping. Looks like they indeed had some left over 7600s to get rid of. I haven't heard any other reports than yours though. Consider yourself lucky.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Great news then! According to the s/n you sent me, your iMac was manufactured sometime after July 23. So that's just about a month before the new iMacs started shipping. Looks like they indeed had some left over 7600s to get rid of. I haven't heard any other reports than yours though. Consider yourself lucky.
Smiling from one ear to the other, sipping French Pinot Noir (Bourgogne)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2007, 04:36 PM

Santé.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2007, 05:25 PM

Refurbs still have the new computer smell. Just sayin'.
ice

scaredpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Refurbs still have the new computer smell. Just sayin'.
Wonder if "new computer smell" is something you can get in a bottle?

Forum Links
Forum Rules