Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need review about CRUCIAL RAM for my Albook

View Poll Results: Crucial memory rocks?
Poll Options:
Yes 22 votes (78.57%)
No 4 votes (14.29%)
Hell knows 2 votes (7.14%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Need review about CRUCIAL RAM for my Albook
boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 04:16 AM

Hi guys.

I've just acquired my brand nu Albook. Man, this sleek baby captivated me instantly from the initial use. Anyway, I am seeking for a 512mb memory stick as the 256mb built in does not suffice my need. I am in New Zealand and prices here are hell lots of money. I've surfed many reseller e-stores like newegg, memdate,... but they do not ship globally. I then had a look at crucial. They do ship to New Zealand, the total price for a 512mb stick is $150 USD (incl shipping, tax). I would like to hear from those who had experiences with crucial. Is it fully compatible with my rev C 12'' powerbook?

here is my Pb's spec:

� 256MB DDR333 (256MB built-in)
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
� SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
� NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory
� 12.1-inch TFT Display

Many thanks for your helps.

Have a splendid day.
Cheers

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 05:50 AM

From what I have read, Crucial are essentially the best RAM dealers out there (and yes, they will be compatible with your 12" - just go through the various options of Apple>PowerBook>12" (1.33GHz) to find the correct RAM you need). I myself have purchased various chips from them (for home and work) and never had any problems at all. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't other good sources of RAM to buy from... wait and see what others have to say. If you are getting it shipped to NZ you might want to stick with a company that is reliable like Crucial, just to reduce your risk of getting a duff chip.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 10:02 AM

I work through them exclusively and while I pay a slight premium per chip (think under $5 usually compared to other high quality RAM manufacturers), I've had no problems.

Buy from 'em.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 10:42 AM

Crucial are a superb company. My 12" 867 has one of their 256mb DIMMs in, which this week I'll be replacing with a 512mb, also from Crucial. I must have used them a dozen times now with no problems at all.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:38 AM

I got Crucial RAM in my 'book (Rev b 12") and it works fine. I only wish their 1gig chips were in the low $300 range.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MusicVideosRock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 04:05 PM

I have the 1.33 15 inch powerbook. I got a 512mb stick from Crucial.com. To my surprise, when I opened up the powerbook, the OEM memory had the same sticker as the one from crucial. I paid $130 for 512mb delivered to me in Los Angeles. If you can get it for $150 delivered to New Zealand, that's a good deal. This is my 2nd purchase from them and I am a happy customer.

Originally posted by boysss:
Hi guys.

I've just acquired my brand nu Albook. Man, this sleek baby captivated me instantly from the initial use. Anyway, I am seeking for a 512mb memory stick as the 256mb built in does not suffice my need. I am in New Zealand and prices here are hell lots of money. I've surfed many reseller e-stores like newegg, memdate,... but they do not ship globally. I then had a look at crucial. They do ship to New Zealand, the total price for a 512mb stick is $150 USD (incl shipping, tax). I would like to hear from those who had experiences with crucial. Is it fully compatible with my rev C 12'' powerbook?

here is my Pb's spec:

� 256MB DDR333 (256MB built-in)
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
� SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
� NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory
� 12.1-inch TFT Display

Many thanks for your helps.

Have a splendid day.
Cheers

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I got Crucial RAM in my 'book (Rev b 12") and it works fine. I only wish their 1gig chips were in the low $300 range.
How about this link, man?

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
How about this link, man?
That is a PC2100. I think it is not compatible with new rev C.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I am gonna order from crucial sometimes this week. Cheers

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by boysss:

That is a PC2100. I think it is not compatible with new rev C.
Oh, sorry. You're right. You need PC2700, I think. I thought you had a rev. B.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 11:28 PM

Can I ask the 3 persons who voted "NO" the reason? Greatly appreciate.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Oh, sorry. You're right. You need PC2700, I think. I thought you had a rev. B.
No worries. Thanks for the post tho.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2004, 05:32 AM

I've used Crucial UK a number of times and they've always been excellent. Using their website, It's really easy to navigate to the correct memory for your machine, and then order it. I've always received my order the very next day.
tin pot, garden shed

wedgewood
Jul 14, 2004, 02:09 PM

I voted no. I had a good experience with crucial memory with ibook and titanium powerbook. But the trouble occurred when I purchased 17 inch powerbook Rev. A. When I installed 512MB crucial memory on the second memory slot it worked fine. But I installed crucial memory on the first memory slot the powerbook won't boot. This was a well known problem to powerbook users for a while. Since then I has avoided crucial. I prefer Samsung or Hynix rather than crucial. As far as I know, Apple uses Samsung or Hynix memory for current aluminium powerbook.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

velodev
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 05:41 PM

Yeah, their memory is good and I know that when purchasing it - there is a sense of relaibility with it.

However, they also let their name get to their ego and their prices show it.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 06:04 PM

be careful when installing it
after i installed mine 7 keys on my kb stopped working
the issue was resolved by removing the chip and gently pushing on the circuit board, but still be areful

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2004, 06:20 PM

http://www.pricewatch.com/

PriceWatch has 1GB Micron and Samsung sticks for $240+ plus tax & shipping.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 12:07 AM

I have two sticks of 512MB in my Rev A 15" and they work just fine. I was worried about spending so much on something like 3rd-party RAM that can be of varying quality, but Crucial had a great reputation and I haven't been disappointed.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 03:19 AM

Crucial has an outstanding rep. I have several PC's around the house running crucial ram and it's always worked flawlessly. I would strongly suggest buying from them esp because they are one of the few companies that ship to you. Ideally I would get a kingmax 1gb pc2700 SODIMM from newegg for $247; however, as you stated they dont ship to you (this is only because of the price though).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules