Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth Questions.........

Bluetooth Questions.........
boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 12:58 AM

1)I just wonder if I can use the bluetooth handfree used for mobile fone for yahoo voice chat on my rev C 12'' Albook?

2)Also, Anyone has motorola E398 handset? Can I connect the phone to my Pb via bluetooth? Thanks.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2004, 01:39 AM

1) I wouldn't see why you couldn't. I am looking into getting a BT headset for my phone (motorola v600), and from what I have read/researched it should work without a problem.

2) Not sure about that phone in particular. Mine synces fine to my PC w/ a D-link USB dongle. I would imagine it would be easy as pie to connect it to your PB.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 08:31 AM

1) I am no Bluetooth expert but if I understand it right, to use a headset it would be necessary that Mac OS X supports that kind of devices. Looking at tha BT preferences I have not found any such device category.
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by RealMadrid:
1) I am no Bluetooth expert but if I understand it right, to use a headset it would be necessary that Mac OS X supports that kind of devices. Looking at tha BT preferences I have not found any such device category.
One of the latest 10.3.x updates (10.3.3 or 10.3.4 - I forget which) introduced support for BT headsets, so it is there.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by boysss:
1)I just wonder if I can use the bluetooth handfree used for mobile fone for yahoo voice chat on my rev C 12'' Albook?

2)Also, Anyone has motorola E398 handset? Can I connect the phone to my Pb via bluetooth? Thanks.
1) You may not need it unless you are roaming around the room while chatting - the built-in Mic is probably good enough. However, if may work with your headset, but I couldn't guarantee it.

2) Looking at the list of phones currently supported by iSync (the Apple app that synchs your iCal/Address Book data with your phones etc), yours isn't listed. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you wouldn't be able to put files etc on your phone via BT, just that it isn't going to work via iSync.

How new is your phone? If it is a recent model, it could be that Apple will include support in an upcoming update to iSync. If not, they probably won't be.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
One of the latest 10.3.x updates (10.3.3 or 10.3.4 - I forget which) introduced support for BT headsets, so it is there.
I remember this but I can't remember if OS X supports the handset or handsfree profile. I'm guessing it would support both, but if you could a headset that supports both profiles, it would be ideal. I wasn't able to find anything specific on their support site to answer this but if you search for "bluetooth headset" you'll come up with a number of results.

BTW, enjoy the e398 if you get it! At first I couldn't find it on Motorola's US or UK websites (they need some work in general and have for some time), but quickly googling it came up with some reviews and the phone is incredible in my mind! I currently have the Sony Ericsson T610 and my mom has the Moto v300. We like both for different reasons, and I would like to get the new Sony k700 or s700i, but I prefer the looks of the e398. You may not be able to sync it initially, but I would guess that you could still browse the device, remove pictures, add MP3s and ringtones, etc.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 10:45 PM

1)I guess I need to bring my Pb to the store and check it out.

2)I haven't actually bought the phone. Moto E398 is a pretty recent phone (released in June 04). How about SE T630? Can it sync my Pb? What I need to do is to download the pixs from the phone, upload themes, wallpapers and of course games. Thanks a lot guys. This forum is super-active.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by kafoochy:

BTW, enjoy the e398 if you get it! At first I couldn't find it on Motorola's US or UK websites (they need some work in general and have for some time), but quickly googling it came up with some reviews and the phone is incredible in my mind! I currently have the Sony Ericsson T610 and my mom has the Moto v300. We like both for different reasons, and I would like to get the new Sony k700 or s700i, but I prefer the looks of the e398. You may not be able to sync it initially, but I would guess that you could still browse the device, remove pictures, add MP3s and ringtones, etc.
I totally agree with you. The moto e398 is so cool and compact. Unfortunately, its a bit over my budget so I think to opt for SE T630. How does ur T610 sync to your Powerbook? If T610 works fine, the T630 shouldnt have probs as they are pretty identical in fuctions.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by boysss:
I totally agree with you. The moto e398 is so cool and compact. Unfortunately, its a bit over my budget so I think to opt for SE T630. How does ur T610 sync to your Powerbook? If T610 works fine, the T630 shouldnt have probs as they are pretty identical in fuctions.
Yeah, from what I read the e398 isn't even going to be shipping until the end of this month and will command a premium price when it is released. The T630 should be a good phone. The screen is supposed to be much better than the T610. I find the T610 to be a little slow and pokey at times and it could use more memory, but the user interface is superior to Samsung and Nokia. My mom's Motorola isn't bad to use and I'd choose it the others I mentioned, but I still prefer a Sony-Ericsson. The phone can do a lot, just read the manual or quick-start guide or shortcut page.

It is incredibly easy to get the Sony Ericsson's to sync via Bluetooth. The easiest thing to do is use the Bluetooth Setup Assistant in the Utilities folder. Basically you'll want to make sure that you have bluetooth on by going to the bluetooth menu item in OS X (or in the Bluetooth tab in the System Preferences) and that you have bluetooth on, on your phone. It's very easy but might be confusing without your phone. Read to manual, you can do it in two key clicks. What you need to do is Pair the devices and enter a passcode for both. In order to transfer files I simply go up to the Bluetooth menu bar item in OS X and select "Send File" or "Browse Device" I can then take pictures off, add them, add MIDI files for ringtones, etc. It is very easy. All of these things can further be controlled through the Bluetooth system preference pane.

I can help you out more if you need it when you get the phone. After you pair the phone, you can use iSync to sync your addresses in the address book. You can also use the Address Book to call or SMS anyone in your addresses. Just click the bluetooth menu icon in Address Book and then right click (or control-click) on the number you want to call or SMS and it will give you the option to do so. If you leave the address book open and connected to your cell phone, when you get an incoming call or SMS it will display the caller and/or message on your computer screen.

I'd also suggest looking into two neat applications that further extend the functionality of your phone and computer. I've been using a program called Romeo for a while. The interface is sparse on the Mac side, but allows you to control iTunes, the DVD player, Powerpoint, the system volume, or use the joystick as a mouse all from your bluetooth phone. I'm guessing it would work fine on the T630. It is a very cool device and has wowed many Windows friends of mine, especially at parties where I can change the iTunes song at a whim. I have it setup to also mute the system volume whenever a call comes in. Romeo can be found here: http://www.irowan.com/romeo/

Another neat program which I have yet to use (since I've been supporting Romeo for a while) is called BluePhoneMenu. It doesn't seem to have as many features, but has a nicer interface in my estimation and is more informational. Check it out here: http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneMenu/

BTW, Apple's website lists the T630 as a supported phone, so I think you should be set. Enjoy! And email me (or just post as there are tons of people that have bluetooth phones, including Sony-Ericsson, I've even seen Mac OS X themes for the T610 that some people have created!) if you have any questions.

boysss  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by kafoochy:
Yeah, from what I read the e398 isn't even going to be shipping until the end of this month and will command a premium price when it is released. The T630 should be a good phone. The screen is supposed to be much better than the T610. I find the T610 to be a little slow and pokey at times and it could use more memory, but the user interface is superior to Samsung and Nokia. My mom's Motorola isn't bad to use and I'd choose it the others I mentioned, but I still prefer a Sony-Ericsson. The phone can do a lot, just read the manual or quick-start guide or shortcut page.

It is incredibly easy to get the Sony Ericsson's to sync via Bluetooth. The easiest thing to do is use the Bluetooth Setup Assistant in the Utilities folder. Basically you'll want to make sure that you have bluetooth on by going to the bluetooth menu item in OS X (or in the Bluetooth tab in the System Preferences) and that you have bluetooth on, on your phone. It's very easy but might be confusing without your phone. Read to manual, you can do it in two key clicks. What you need to do is Pair the devices and enter a passcode for both. In order to transfer files I simply go up to the Bluetooth menu bar item in OS X and select "Send File" or "Browse Device" I can then take pictures off, add them, add MIDI files for ringtones, etc. It is very easy. All of these things can further be controlled through the Bluetooth system preference pane.

I can help you out more if you need it when you get the phone. After you pair the phone, you can use iSync to sync your addresses in the address book. You can also use the Address Book to call or SMS anyone in your addresses. Just click the bluetooth menu icon in Address Book and then right click (or control-click) on the number you want to call or SMS and it will give you the option to do so. If you leave the address book open and connected to your cell phone, when you get an incoming call or SMS it will display the caller and/or message on your computer screen.

I'd also suggest looking into two neat applications that further extend the functionality of your phone and computer. I've been using a program called Romeo for a while. The interface is sparse on the Mac side, but allows you to control iTunes, the DVD player, Powerpoint, the system volume, or use the joystick as a mouse all from your bluetooth phone. I'm guessing it would work fine on the T630. It is a very cool device and has wowed many Windows friends of mine, especially at parties where I can change the iTunes song at a whim. I have it setup to also mute the system volume whenever a call comes in. Romeo can be found here: http://www.irowan.com/romeo/

Another neat program which I have yet to use (since I've been supporting Romeo for a while) is called BluePhoneMenu. It doesn't seem to have as many features, but has a nicer interface in my estimation and is more informational. Check it out here: http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneMenu/

BTW, Apple's website lists the T630 as a supported phone, so I think you should be set. Enjoy! And email me (or just post as there are tons of people that have bluetooth phones, including Sony-Ericsson, I've even seen Mac OS X themes for the T610 that some people have created!) if you have any questions.
Wow. that is a heck of valuable information. Many thanks. I will give the T630 a try. It has the cool "apple design". You can purchase the E398 here:

http://plemix.com/Merchant2/merchant...egory_Code=MOT

I have never had any experiences with that reseller so pls check them out first.

Thanks kafoochy

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 12:35 PM

One other thing... Besides Romeo and BluePhoneMenu, I suggest trying SallingClicker http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling...ker/index.html It doesn't specifically mention your Moto, but you could try to demo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules