Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nokia 6230

Nokia 6230
Elliot Swart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 09:21 PM

I have a new Nokia 6230. It is without a doubt the best phone I have ever seen/had. The features are amazing and the operating system is sensational.

Why am I posting this?

Obviously I must have a complaint and that is that iSync will NOT sync with this phone. I know that it is new and therefore hope that someone out there is reading this and can reassure me that iSync will be updated to include this model of phone.

Also, does anyone know where to get a Mac bluetooth modem driver for this phone?

Please Apple and Nokia get together to make my 6230 sync with my Mac!!!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 12:27 AM

It's about time this phone was released. I needed it a couple months ago when I ended up buying my 6200.

How much did it cost you?

Where did you get it and who is your cell phone provider?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 07:01 AM

If it's Series 60 - iSync will probably start working with it soon.

As for using it as a BT modem see here:

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/

and

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

takai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 09:08 AM

Being in Australia we have a whole different pricing scheme to the US. It is only available on Optus at the moment, and is free on the $55 p/m plan that i am on.

As for the series, it seems to almost be a hybrid S40 and S60. Its a bit weird.
Trying to find confirmation as to what series it is now.
takai
------

Elliot Swart  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 06:56 PM

I am also in Australia and on the $55 plan. On the Nokia website it is listed as a S40 but seems to have SyncML which I believe is a requirement for iSync.

C'mon Apple and Nokia get your act together - get this right otherwise change the name of iSync to iEricsson

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 08:56 PM

The Nokia 6230 looks cool. It's not a Series 60 (Symbian 6.0) device, so there's no iSync support -- yet. In fact, no Series 40 devices sync with iSync at the moment. But I can't see it staying that way. Hopefully iSync will be updated soon.

tae667
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2004, 03:08 AM

I'm almost willing to bet that next iSync update will have support for all of the Nokia's new Series 40 phones with bluetooth, which are:
Nokia 6820
Nokia 6230
Nokia 6650
Nokia 7600

I'm in a market for a new phone, and I'd love to have 7600, but if iSync isn't updated soon, I'll wait for Nokia 7610, because of the megapixel camera.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 07:20 AM

Update: I got a passthrough EDGE connection going with TIM Italy. I just follow the directions from this page:
http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/tut...toothtimnokia/

and used the Nokia iR 6210-8xxx for the Bluetooth Modem.

All the GPRS settings on the phone were already set.

Pages seemed to load pretty fast but I haven't been able to test speeds. Going to try to download something and time it this evening.
I got the [G] symbol right away so I imagine I was getting decent speeds.

I imagine most carriers that have EDGE could be configured similarly.

Other things I got to test is Radio (only works with headset plugged in ) but got a great signal. Once you connect the headset you can route the radio to the loudspeaker. MP3 works with or without headset. Apple's AAC format currently doesn't play, but the videos from the phone open up in Quicktime. 640x480 photos are decent in indoors so I suspect they be nice outdoors.

Only problems is the plastic seems quite fragile. Just removing the back to put in the battery and MMC card had me concerned.

Due the popularity of this phone so far I would hope we'll see iSync support with the next update.

Tech Details
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,016-1473,00.html

Initial Post:
I just bought one yesterday and it's a sweet phone. You can use BT file exchange and send Address book entries (one at a time) but iSync definitely doesn't work. It's a Series 40ish OS.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Jun 14, 2004 at 10:07 AM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 09:35 AM

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 04:12 AM

Hi, I just wonder if this fone can connect to my Albook 12'' rev C to download/upload pictures, video clips and games? Thanks

Elliot Swart  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 04:17 AM

yes it can. Set it up using the Set up Bluetooth function.

Any word from anyone when we might see an iSync upgrade???

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by boysss:
Hi, I just wonder if this fone can connect to my Albook 12'' rev C to download/upload pictures, video clips and games? Thanks
Yes, I had tried with my Dad's Nokia 6230. Can use Bluetooth to transfer MP3, MIDI and pictures between 6230 and my PowerBook with "No brand" USB Bluetooth Adapter.

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Yes, I had tried with my Dad's Nokia 6230. Can use Bluetooth to transfer MP3, MIDI and pictures between 6230 and my PowerBook with "No brand" USB Bluetooth Adapter.

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried to upload some games to the fone? From what I know, I will need to use PC suite software in order to get new games in the fone. Just wonder if there is a version of PC suite for Mac? Cheers

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried to upload some games to the fone? From what I know, I will need to use PC suite software in order to get new games in the fone. Just wonder if there is a version of PC suite for Mac? Cheers
No, Nokia doesn't have a Mac suite for their phone

However, in theory you should be able to upload games from your Mac to Nokia 6230.

No, I haven't try it yet, because my Dad doesn't play games And I don't think there's any free games out there for me to try to upload, without spending $$$ first to get one, and then not being used (remember, my Dad doesn't play games).

If you can locate me a place where I can download a free game, I can give it a try.

Naplander
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 07:12 AM

go to imserba.com, register, and then get points to get free game downloads.

Then receive a code for the game that you want. You then have to visit their wap site wap.imserba.com, input the code, and the game downloads to your phone.

try it - it works!
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Naplander:
go to imserba.com, register, and then get points to get free game downloads.

Then receive a code for the game that you want. You then have to visit their wap site wap.imserba.com, input the code, and the game downloads to your phone.

try it - it works!
No, too hard

I really don't want to register yet another web site... I got about 50000 (sorry, lost count... too many) accounts of all kinds, with about 50 different password combinations! My IT department at work did something on my account yesterday, and I lost all my username & password files in Internet Explorer took me about 4 attempts before I got the MacNN forums password correct

I just don't want to get another account if I can do it away.

Also if I download from wap.imserba.com, that means I got to downloaded from my (actually, my Dad's) Nokia 6230... now if I do so that I am not testing if I can upload the game from my Mac to Nokia 6230?!?! Completely lost the point of the exercise?!

Naplander
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 09:03 AM

know what you mean about the registrations thing!

Can't help though about the games then. I think you have to put .jar files in some folder on the phone, but no exactly sure.

Anyone else know?
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 10:36 PM

No, too hard

I really don't want to register yet another web site... I got about 50000 (sorry, lost count... too many) accounts of all kinds, with about 50 different password combinations! My IT department at work did something on my account yesterday, and I lost all my username & password files in Internet Explorer took me about 4 attempts before I got the MacNN forums password correct

I just don't want to get another account if I can do it away.

Also if I download from wap.imserba.com, that means I got to downloaded from my (actually, my Dad's) Nokia 6230... now if I do so that I am not testing if I can upload the game from my Mac to Nokia 6230?!?! Completely lost the point of the exercise?!
Hey, I found a web site offering free Nokia games:

http://www.xtel.com.ua/j.php?series=40&type=race&page=1

I dun even what language it is, greece i suppose? Can you pls try to upload the games to your fone via BT? You are a veryniceguy indeed . Cheers

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 11:21 PM

I dun even what language it is, greece i suppose? Can you pls try to upload the games to your fone via BT? You are a veryniceguy indeed . Cheers
The webpage is from Ukraine (country code UA), so the language would very likely to be Russian.

If I have time tonight, I will give it a try.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 10:30 AM

OK, I have finally tried it, with the game I got from that Ukraine web site.

Unfortunately, it seems the Nokia 6230 doesn't like it when I transferred it via Bluetooth

I used Bluetooth file exchange, using both "Send File..." method and "Browse device..." method with the put command. It seems the Nokai 6230 somehow doesn't understand the file, and I cannot even save it in the Games directory! (Only in the Gallery directory, which is only for pictures, sounds, MP3s, videos... not for games).

I had even tried to force the Nokia 6230 to open it once it received it, but it doesn't like

Unless someone suggest me some other methods, otherwise I think we are out of luck.

(In fact, tonight I tried to put in a wallpaper, and then after I put it into a directory, it won't even allow me to delete, move or rename the wallpaper file... I think that sugguest me I should stick with my Sony Ericsson Z600 instead )

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 11:22 AM

(In fact, tonight I tried to put in a wallpaper, and then after I put it into a directory, it won't even allow me to delete, move or rename the wallpaper file... I think that sugguest me I should stick with my Sony Ericsson Z600 instead )
I had that problem with wallpaper. I just switched the phone off, then back on again, and after that I could move/delete/rename etc no problem. Obviously a bit of a glitch.

I can't wait for iSync support for this either. There's a 6230/Mac OS X website somewhere. I have the link bookmarked at home - will post it when I get in from work .
12" Rev B PB

Elliot Swart  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 06:19 PM

You can view that website at http://mist.co.uk/mac6230/index.php

bassbug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 08:41 AM

Use Phone Director to upload Java games/applications to your Nokia
Check it out at Versiontracker
Take care!
Jay

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 04:30 PM

So no updates on iSync support for the 6230?

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 10:41 PM

ive had this phone since april and still no isync support! makes me want to switch to a SE phone *shudders* anyone have any idea when apple will get on the ball? i REALLY dont want to buy a new phone that can just sync with my pbook.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:12 AM

If it's < Series 60 then you won't get syncing.

tae667
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
If it's < Series 60 then you won't get syncing.
Nokia's latest Series 60 doesn't sync either..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 10:40 AM

I can sync my 6600. A few glitches on first name/last name but it works.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tae667
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I can sync my 6600. A few glitches on first name/last name but it works.
That's because it is older Series 60 phone. Latest phones such as 7610, 6260, 6630 and 6620 won't sync.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 12:15 PM

i guess apple doesnt really like nokia huh? b/c the k700i was introduced way later than the 6230....
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by takai:
Being in Australia we have a whole different pricing scheme to the US. It is only available on Optus at the moment, and is free on the $55 p/m plan that i am on.
It's $60 per month from telstra

Forum Links
Forum Rules