Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Looking for converter: video from camcorder to Powerbook

Looking for converter: video from camcorder to Powerbook
PatsPalace24
Nov 9, 2004, 08:27 PM

Sorry for my wording if it is confusing, but hopefully you know what I am talking about:

The video camera I have right now is not DV. It's older than that, like recorded to a tape, and then the camera itself has output cords, the yellow and white ones. ( I am sorry,I can't remember for the life of me what these things are called, but you know, the red, yellow, and white cords?) Well, I can plenty fine, with the included cable, from the camera player, watch the film on the "tape" on my TV, but I want this on my computer.

It cannot be that hard, and I have seen things for PCs where its a converter, one end you plug the red, white, and yellow plugs, and the other end is just a USB connection. So I know it exists and will work fine. Just what is one that is OSX compatible. I will just be needing it for some iMovie work, nothing intensive. But digital camera is not in the budget right now. ANY HELP IS PERFECT. Thanks again!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 08:36 PM

The ends you are referring to are called RCA. One for video and two for the audio. As for converting the old video to new video, you will need to use something like the Formac Studio DV or an EyeTV. Both of which are expensive, it may just be easier and cheaper to buy a good digital camcorder with a built in convertor. I know most if not all of the New Sony's do this.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Nov 9, 2004, 09:17 PM

How expensive. Because I was at Best Buy, and I was about 2 seconds away from buying it, but then I realized that It was only PC. It just had two inputs for the RCA cables, and then the output in USB i think. This was only like 69.99, and I didn't think that it was too bad. There were other ones that had converting both ways, and all the other videos, and fancy things, but all I want is yellow and white RCA to USB. Thanks and more help please!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by PatsPalace24:
How expensive. Because I was at Best Buy, and I was about 2 seconds away from buying it, but then I realized that It was only PC. It just had two inputs for the RCA cables, and then the output in USB i think. This was only like 69.99, and I didn't think that it was too bad. There were other ones that had converting both ways, and all the other videos, and fancy things, but all I want is yellow and white RCA to USB. Thanks and more help please!
iMovie only works with DV. This means that the easiest solution is to buy an Analog-DV conversion box like the Formac. USB convertors produce low-quality mpeg-1, which is incompatible with iMovie (unless you dont have a problem with lengthy video conversion, which will produce crappy picture).

If you just have a few tapes that you want to capture you should consider renting a DV-Cam - you can use the DV-Cam in a similar way to the Formac if it has pass-through, even if it does not you can just hook your camera up to the DV-Cam (like it was a VCR) and record your footage onto the DV-Cam and then import it to iMovie from there...

I bet this is over your head.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 10:43 PM

MyCapture II USB Video Capture
$ 89.99

MyCapture II allows you to capture video on your iMac, iBook, PowerBook or G3/G4 Macintosh without opening your computer. Unlike many other USB video solutions, MyCapture II delivers smooth, full frame rate video capture. MyCapture II, for video capture without compromise... and without the hassle!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
MyCapture II USB Video Capture
$ 89.99

MyCapture II allows you to capture video on your iMac, iBook, PowerBook or G3/G4 Macintosh without opening your computer. Unlike many other USB video solutions, MyCapture II delivers smooth, full frame rate video capture. MyCapture II, for video capture without compromise... and without the hassle!
... not compatible with iMovie. - unless you want to spend time converting, only to wind up with poor image quality.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

PatsPalace24  (op)
Nov 9, 2004, 11:17 PM

Wait, I am somewate confused here. The MyCapture II USB, how do you say works great if someone else says its not compatible with iMovie. That is a great price, and for nice quality you say, sounds great. But if it's not compatible with iMovie, then what are other options. This is for future things as well, so I cannot rent a DV camera. Thanks again for the help
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by PatsPalace24:
Wait, I am somewate confused here. The MyCapture II USB, how do you say works great if someone else says its not compatible with iMovie. That is a great price, and for nice quality you say, sounds great. But if it's not compatible with iMovie, then what are other options. This is for future things as well, so I cannot rent a DV camera. Thanks again for the help
Compatible with iMovie means that when you plug in the DV-RCA converter from the Mac to the camera that you can import directly into iMovie.

Unless you don't mind crappy mpeg-1 video, I wouldn't recommend a USB-based converter.

http://www.macworld.com/2001/08/reviews/converters/

Your options are not cheap. But if you are serious about this, then you'll have to fork down some cash for a good converter box. If you are just doing this for a quick edit to put on the internet, then maybe the USB one is what you need.

bgordon
Nov 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

See if someone you know has a DV minicam similar to the Sony DCR-TRV22. It has a pass-thru feature that lets you connect older 8mm and Hi-8 minicams and digitizes the video:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der_review.htm

I've got one and it works great. I've connected an old (circa '90) Yashica 8mm cam and imported video from it into iMovie.

Good luck.

- bgordon

p.s. The DCR-TRV22 itself is going for just about $300 on eBay; maybe you get a used one and kill two birds with one stone.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2004, 04:20 PM

This is in the wrong forum, for one thing.

Second, click here http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ight=dv+bridge -- this question's been asked many times, and the answer is there.

Third, not just "newer Sony" camcorders act as DV bridges: pretty much all Sony DV cameras ever made do, and most models on the market now from all manufacturers do it as well.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules