Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Camcorder Hi8--> Possible S-Video Out to USB on Powerbook

Camcorder Hi8--> Possible S-Video Out to USB on Powerbook
PatsPalace24
Jan 25, 2005, 08:14 PM

Just a quick question. I have a Sony Handycam SteadyVision Hi8 Camcorder, and am constantly taking ski videos on it. I am trying to put these videos onto my Powerbook and edit them in either iMovie and Final Cut, but do not know where to start. I have seen the things that have inputs for the Composite cables (white and yellow ones), which my camcorder has, but they are fairly expensive. I could maybe get a TV tuner I hear, which would be nice. Any suggestions on this? Finally, I just saw that my camcorder has S-Video Out, so is it possible to use a S-Video to USB 2.0 cord? But the main thing about any of these options is will iMovie recognize my camera? I don't need super quality, but I need iMovie to recognize it. Any help? Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

CitrusHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 06:46 PM

I don't know of any USB solution, I think you're only gonna be able to get your video in through the FireWire port. I use a Sony Media Converter DVMC-DA1 (also DVMC-DA2) which converts the analog signal to digital and gives you Firewire output. The DVMC-DA1 is recognized by iMovie but you won't have playback control of the camera through iMovie interface (no big deal for me) Not sure but I think that may not be an issue on the -DA2.

I'm sure you can find one on ebay.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 27, 2005, 07:20 PM

For just a little more money than a DV converter box, you could just buy a Sony Digital 8 camcorder, which can play your Hi8/8mm cassettes with no adapters, and will output right to a FireWire port that is 100% compatible with iMovie.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules