Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Locking Up Like Crazy

New MacBook Locking Up Like Crazy
NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 10, 2007, 01:39 PM

I just upgraded from an iBook to the latest generation Black MacBook. I did a fresh install of OS X, and installed the same apps I used on the iBook (making sure to get Universal Binaries).

I haven't used this machine any harder than my iBook. I use it mainly for programming, occasional graphics work, and watching movies or TV shows on the external monitor while I'm working. I haven't installed any hacks, or any low-level programs, except for Parallels Desktop. But Parallels hasn't even been running when these freezes happen.

This machine is locking up every day or two. All programs become unresponsive. I can't switch to another program from whatever program was the frontmost one at time of lockup. No key combination works, including Force Quit or Command Tab. But the strange thing is that I can move the mouse cursor, including to and from the external monitor. The only way to recover is to hold the Power Button down for a hard shutdown.

After every freeze I've ran fsck and repaired disk permissions. I've even tried the Apple Hardware Test. These utilities have yet to find a single problem. I've even reinstalled the OS.

I love the machine, but its BY FAR the buggiest machine I've owned to date, and I've owned about a dozen or so. Any ideas?
( Last edited by NeXTLoop; Aug 10, 2007 at 01:45 PM. )
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

tintin220
Aug 10, 2007, 01:49 PM

Did you install any third-party ram? Similar issues occurred on my (admittedly pickier) PBG4 when I put in some Transcend Jetram (though the bastards at macsales told me it was compatible).

What programs are running usually when this happens? Open up Activity Monitor and check out what processes are in use.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Rumor
Aug 10, 2007, 02:04 PM

Take it back to Apple.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 03:17 PM

I would agree, if you just purchased the Macbook it may be defective and might require some kind of repair. Its a good idea to simply return it and purchase a brand new machine. If it too exhibits the same problems then perhaps there is something wrong with the third party RAM that your using.

Good Luck

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I've got some new information as well as a request for you input....

1. The RAM is installed directly from Apple at the time of purchase. So I know its not that.

2. Is it possible that its the external monitor? I use an external monitor about 50% of the time. I don't remember if its locked up when not using it, but I know the last time or two was with the external plugged in.

3. Although its past the window for exchange, I gave Apple the full story about how I'm using this machine on a large project with deadlines that I can't miss. So while I can't afford to lose data due to these crashes, I can't afford to be without the machine for a week or more for them to try to figure out what's wrong. Given that I've purchase a dozen or so Macs in the last 7 years or so, can they help me out and let me exchange it? They said "yes".

So my question is, should I take this opportunity to pay the difference and upgrade to the MBP? Is it possible that I'm pushing this machine, or possibly its graphics infrastructure, too hard between developing on it, using an external monitor, etc?

Thanks again.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 05:07 PM

If you using it for some really intensive tasks like major video editing and industrial photo manipulation then its probably in your best interests to get a Macbook Pro. I say this because the consumer level Macbook is a great machine for low intensity tasks, although alot of people will disagree with me but I don't think that its really made out for photo/video editing.

Again its a matter of personal choice and preference, I would say go ahead and exchange your Macbook. And if the problem persists then consider upgrading to a more powerful Macbook Pro.

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 07:08 PM

I went ahead and exchanged it for the MBP. Given how hard I use a machine, I just didn't want to take a chance that I might be pushing the limits on the MB.

That being said, I just hope it wasn't the HD. The HD in the MB was a Samsung 250GB drive that I installed after purchasing the MB. Needless to say, I pulled it out before returning the machine and now have it in the MBP. So far so good... but if it is the HD.... I should start seeing problems shortly. But I kinda doubt its the HD, since every test I ran showed that it was fine, including tests I've ran since I put it in the MBP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules