Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone crashes per day?

iphone crashes per day?
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 09:05 PM

I'm trying to figure out if my phone is out of the ordinary in terms of number of crashes. The iphone keeps logs and stores them on your mac in Library\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<iPhoneNam e>\

Today I had 15. Yesterday I had 7. I did a full restore yesterday and seemed to have lost a bunch but those numbers seem about average. Sometimes this is an app quitting, sometimes this is the phone just randomly resetting. It was sitting on my desk next to me and just reset a few minutes ago.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 22, 2007, 10:14 PM

Did you update the firmware to 1.0.2? Have you tried doing a full restore from within iTunes?

If I read things right, mail crashed every 10 or 11 days, Safari about once every 8 days.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2007, 10:45 PM

It's hard to say, but if I use Safari heavily, I might get a couple of crashes in a day. The iPod app hardly ever crashes unless I'm using Safari at the same time, in which case it rarely lasts more than 10 or 15 mintes. I basically never have crashes of the phone itself, but I did get an odd thing yesterday when it refused to wake up. After a minute or two of increasingly frantic button pressing, it came back on as if it had been completely powered off. I've also been having an issue in the last couple of days where I'm not getting any sound from the iPhone speakers at all. I'd think it was the recent update, but it happened for the first time just before I updated. I think it has something to do with the iPhone not recognizing that the headphones have been removed, since plugging in the headphones again will solve it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 10:46 PM

I have only 8 entries in there total.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 02:01 PM

Ya. I'm up to 1.0.2. I did that when I did the "full restore" to try and fix it. It's really weird. I think I'm going to make a genius appt.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 03:46 PM

Since I made my genius appt it's gone from bad to worse. Now it just says "connect to itunes". This sucks.

-Q-
Aug 23, 2007, 04:15 PM

I see two. The 1.01 update seemed to fix the constant Safari crashes I got. Before that I'm sure I had a couple crashes a day.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2007, 07:10 PM

There is a big difference between an app crashing and the whole iPhone crashing.

The latter has happened 3 times to me since June 30.

The former has all but disappeared after the two updates.

jtrwallace
Aug 23, 2007, 07:13 PM

mine has three in there...
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
There is a big difference between an app crashing and the whole iPhone crashing.

The latter has happened 3 times to me since June 30.

The former has all but disappeared after the two updates.
Well. Both were happening far too often for me.

I took it in today. Mike @ Somerset in Troy MI was super helpful. He did the basic restore, it didn't seem to help much. He did another restore, maybe a bit better but it was still crapping out. Then he said he could put it in a target disc mode like thing and completely wipe it. After this, it's been ok (about 3 hours so far, haha). We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Oh, midway through the convo, he was mentioning that he might have to send it in. They would have it for a few days and either replace it, fix it or just ship it back and say nothings wrong. I was like oh, like my ipod? (my ipod has been doing weird **** for a few months. I sent it into apple and they denied a problem.) He asked about my ipod, I described the problems, and it was replaced. Good dude.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2007, 11:09 PM

scaught, if you don't have any third party hacks, your iPhone should not be crashing normally at all. Sounds like your machine is sick; I hope the true full install fixes it.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 01:32 PM

I've been using mine for a week now, and have only two entries, both for Safari. Mine's been working great with firmware .1 and .2

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:49 AM

For the record, my phone kicked ass all day yesterday (translation: it did what it was fscking supposed to do).

The mac genius guy said something about ensuring I ran disk permissions on my imac before hooking it back up to sync it in case there was some fragged files getting transferred to my phone. It maybe makes sense, and surely wouldn't hurt.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
The mac genius guy said something about ensuring I ran disk permissions on my imac before hooking it back up to sync it in case there was some fragged files getting transferred to my phone.
That's just so... wrong.

Perhaps you should zap the PRAM too in case your MP3s have become voodoo cursed?

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 03:08 PM

It's not that wrong.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Aug 26, 2007, 07:58 PM

had my iPhone for 4 days now and not a single problem. Then again I don't dig into the system folders and stuff either, I just use my iPhone.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
For the record, my phone kicked ass all day yesterday (translation: it did what it was fscking supposed to do).

The mac genius guy said something about ensuring I ran disk permissions on my imac before hooking it back up to sync it in case there was some fragged files getting transferred to my phone. It maybe makes sense, and surely wouldn't hurt.
Sounds like bunk.
You'd be better off lighting incense and chanting.

While running a permissions repair isn't too bad of an idea after installing large applications or system updates, having to run a repair before each sync is ridiculous.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 10:57 PM

He/I never said "each sync", just to repair permissions before syncing it again.

Look at it. It's a pretty well closed system. I've not done any hacking at all. Same iphone OS as others that have a perfectly functioning phone. Same computer for syncing as others who have a perfectly functioning phone. The only variable is the software / state of the software on the computer. Running disk permissions isn't insane. What other options do you have?

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 09:09 PM

Yay. Phone crashing again. This sucks. Noone else has a phone with apps that just randomly crash or worse, a phone that just randomly crashes?

mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM

iphone crashes per day? zero for me... rock solid... most stable phone i've ever owned... running v 1.0.2... no third party apps

best phone i've ever owned... bar none.

peace

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2007, 06:22 PM

Well. iphone was doing pretty well for a couple days there seemingly out of nowhere. Today, it starts eating **** again. text message app crashed a dozen times in a row for me this morning. Mail app crashed a similar amount of times. Went to make a phone call and it rebooted. I think I have a lemon phone. I went to restore it just now, and now I have the "please connect to itunes" screen and it won't restore. I get a "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1611)." error. Nice error handling.

sph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 06:25 PM

Ive only had one crash and I bought it the day after it was released (6/30). Its the best phone Ive ever had.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 07:38 PM

I got my phone replaced today. Wish me better luck. The magic was dying with the problems I had with the other one.

imemikey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 07:40 PM

did they give you a new one on the spot?????
iMac 24 inch 2.8GHz | 2GB RAM
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 3GB RAM
MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
iPhone 8GB
ViewSonic 22 inch Monitor

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 08:00 PM

I hope you have better luck with this one. If you have similar problems, it's possible that the cause is in your environment somewhere (something about your computer or the files on it, or even how you use it -- although that seems unlikely).

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by imemikey View Post
did they give you a new one on the spot?????
Well, it was my second time going in to get this phone looked at, but yes. New phone on the spot.

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I hope you have better luck with this one. If you have similar problems, it's possible that the cause is in your environment somewhere (something about your computer or the files on it, or even how you use it -- although that seems unlikely).
Thanks, man. Ya. That was the genius bar guy's thoughts, too, which was why he asked me to run disk permissions before syncing it before.

I've put no hacks on it. Only used it for "normal" purposes. I guess a lot of my music files are from torrent sites, but I don't think they would cause any issues. Sooo. We'll see how this one does.

imemikey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 12:37 AM

going to apple tomorrow
iMac 24 inch 2.8GHz | 2GB RAM
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 3GB RAM
MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
iPhone 8GB
ViewSonic 22 inch Monitor

Forum Links
Forum Rules