Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone have Macbook display callibrations? Needed badly...

Anyone have Macbook display callibrations? Needed badly...
JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2007, 05:21 PM

As a photographer, I know that my MB screen isn't AWESOME color accuracy wise. That said, between my external and MB, there is a HUGE difference that I can't wipe out in the (even advanced) color calibrater OS X has... I searched, and people discussed downloading caalibration profiles, but all the links were dead by now...

Anyway, I know my external is darn clse to callibrated, and I just can't get my LCD MB to match it...

Any help?

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 11:48 PM

I've been having some of the same issues as you, the Mac OS X operating system by default loads the color calibration at 1.8 Gamma, it makes colors and overall everything look alot brighter and less vibrant. Windows and other mainframe websites and even movies use 2.2 Gamma this is used alot more frequently and its something that every Mac user should change there viewing to, you can do so by opening System Preferences and following the steps below:

- System Preferences
- Displays
- Color
- Calibrate> Continue> 2.2 Television Gamma

Hopefully that should help you out!

fruntbut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 01:25 AM

This is one of the first things I do when I get a new Mac. Take your time with it, and maybe redo it a few times to get it perfect. It kind of takes practice.
12" powerbook rev. C (80gb, 5400rpm, superdrive, 256mb), 12" powerbook rev. B (80gb, 4200rpm, combo, 768mb)

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2007, 02:53 PM

Apple definitely changes to different LCD panels in the various MacBooks. So, any particular display calibration profile may not actually work for your MacBook. I have two MacBook displays which I keep calibrated to D65 with gamma 2.5 using a Gretag MacBeth EyeOne spectrophotometer. One is a first generation, the other is a core2duo. If you look at the profiles using the Colorsync profile utility, you can see that the two panels have different gamuts.

For a limited time, you can get my two profiles at

{files removed}

Hopefully, one is close enough to your particular panel to be of use. The best is of course to have an actual hardware based calibration done on your own MacBook.
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Aug 31, 2007 at 11:11 AM. )

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 03:16 PM

wow...

i just ran SuperCal on my MBP....

what a difference

Forum Links
Forum Rules