Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Weeding Out Old Contacts - Selecting More Than One?

Weeding Out Old Contacts - Selecting More Than One?
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2015, 09:05 AM

I notice that I have eleventy billion contacts on my phone (and thanks to iCloud also on my iPad and my iMac and my MBP...). I'd like to be able to simply select a bunch of them and delete them en masse. I can't figure out how to do that. Am I missing something, or does Contacts not let anyone do that?

Would it work to delete them on my MBP and have iCloud just propagate the changes to my phone, etc?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 25, 2015, 09:04 PM

That'd be my approach. I've had mixed luck getting my Contacts to sync just right over iCloud. But, in theory, deleting them on your MBP should remove them from your iOS devices.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2015, 04:26 PM

If all of your devices sync through iCloud, any additions or deletions should sync. On a Mac, in Contacts, you can select multiple contacts by selecting one, then hold the Command key down, and each additional contact that you select will be added to those contacts that are selected.

Then press the delete key.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 31, 2015, 08:28 PM

So far deleting contacts from my iMac has been successful in removing them from my iPad, so I think it's working. This "on the fly" sync process seems to be much smarter than the other, earlier systems that screwed things up.

I have had issues in the past with syncs "deciding" that the largest collection of contacts was "correct" and syncing everything with that. This resulted in multiple copies of the same contacts, or multiples of the same person with some having less info and others having more instead of consolidating everything into one.

Currently things are going nicely, so I'm just going to continue with cleaning out entries on either my iMac or MBP and letting the changes propagate to the iPhone and iPad. Too bad the iOS Contacts doesn't offer something that lets you select more than one contact, but I guess I can live with that since I can edit and delete better through my OS X devices.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have had issues in the past with syncs "deciding" that the largest collection of contacts was "correct" and syncing everything with that. This resulted in multiple copies of the same contacts, or multiples of the same person with some having less info and others having more instead of consolidating everything into one.
So much this. Comparing contacts to see what was right is a PITA... a "merge contacts" function would be nifty.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
So much this. Comparing contacts to see what was right is a PITA... a "merge contacts" function would be nifty.
After selecting multiple contacts, go to Card in the menu bar, then:

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Nov 1, 2015, 03:26 PM

That's a nice option, but I still have to (eventually) make sure the cards to be merged have only current information. Still, it's easier if all the data is on one card...

And of course it's only available in the OS X app, not the iOS app. It's a nice idea for ALL versions of Contacts. Listening, Apple?

Forum Links
Forum Rules