Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > apple itunes compatabilty with sony discman?

apple itunes compatabilty with sony discman?
The Yorkshire Rapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 05:28 AM

Hi I just got a macintosh imac and its really cool, the version is mac os X and I have the new itunes for my music. I want to link my imac with my sony discman which was just given to me, I realize I have to make a cd which is ok, but when i make one it wont play in my discman? any ideas how to make itunes compatable with discman? thanks in advance!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 05:54 AM

CDs burned by iTunes normally do work in the Discman. I've used them in one before. This may be kind of basic, but are you burning the CD with iTunes, or are you dragging files onto the CD with the Finder?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Feb 10, 2007, 06:02 AM

iTunes allows you to burn mp3 cds, data cds and audio cds. Just select your preferred settings in the iTunes prefs. Usually at least mp3 cds or audio cds should work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Yorkshire Rapper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 06:26 AM

OK now its compatible (there should be a wizard to do this) but the music keeps skipping, this didn't happen with my PC (gateway). but I was using an old version of itunes. Has itunes broke my discman?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 07:34 AM

This is dum, now even shop bought CD's are skipping, I can't believe mac would put out software that would do this! any way to fix this??

OreoCookie
Feb 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

Huh?
So now CDs that you have burnt and CDs you've bought are skipping on your discman … and you think the burnt CDs are to blame? Not the discman? Perhaps you should try the CDs in another Player and clean the lens of your CD player.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 11:41 PM

OK, this might be really dumb, but have you considered buying an iPod?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Yorkshire Rapper View Post
This is dum, now even shop bought CD's are skipping, I can't believe mac would put out software that would do this! any way to fix this??
There is no way software on your computer can affect your cd player when there is no contact between the two.

Also, 'Mac' doesn't put out anything, unless you're referring to mac daddy down the street . Apple makes iTunes.

My guess is you scratched your cd players lens, or it's dirty, and the timing is just coincidental.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
OK, this might be really dumb, but have you considered buying an iPod?
I only just upgraded from the Sony Soundabout which was eating to many batteries.
Its unlikely the skipping is coincidental as the minute I used mac itunes everything went wrong. I have tried the CDs on a midi hi fi system and they work great, but now I need to have music on the go for my running practice. I can't believe apple would not test this software before releasing it

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2007, 06:35 AM

Its unlikely the skipping is coincidental as the minute I used mac itunes everything went wrong.
Just have a look at your next sentence:
I have tried the CDs on a midi hi fi system and they work great, but now I need to have music on the go for my running practice.
So there are two explanations that are far more likely: either your discman doesn't like the particular brand of CD-Rs which you are using (common especially for older CD players) or the lens is dirty or scratched and needs cleaning. Cleaning the discman's lens will take 30 seconds, just take a q-tip and some alcohol. If that doesn't work, try a different brand of CD-Rs.

It's most not a software issue since the CDs work fine in another CD player. I've burnt quite a few CDs with most versions of iTunes, ranging from 1 to 7 with no problems whatsoever.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 11:14 PM

Im supised that you all blame the diskman when it served its previous owner perfectly for over 10 years

I know about computers and MAC has definitly damaged my diskman, my cousin also connected it to my midi hi fi system (B&O actualy) to record (RIP) compact disks and i wont be surprised if itunes has infected that too.

I have phoned apple mac and they wont help me without a serial number???

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 11:18 PM

OK. I don't want to be rude, but you are a total wanker.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 11:29 PM

Im supised that you all blame the diskman when it served its previous owner perfectly for over 10 years

I know about computers and MAC has definitly damaged my diskman, my cousin also connected it to my midi hi fi system (B&O actualy) to record (RIP) compact disks and i wont be surprised if itunes has infected that too.
I'm surprised that you would blame iTunes, which has worked with millions of CD players (both Discman and every other brand) all over the world without breaking one, and which also has never actually touched the thing.

Since you know about computers, I would be fascinated to hear the technical explanation of how you believe the Mac has "infected" a perfectly good player, because I've never heard of such a thing in my years of both professionally supporting computers and listening to music that I've burned onto CDs (yes, on a Discman).
( Last edited by Chuckit; Feb 23, 2007 at 11:38 PM. )
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 11:50 PM

I have phoned apple mac and they wont help me without a serial number???
Discmans can't be damaged by cd's. I suggest you clean the lens.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2007, 12:00 AM

That's your answer right there. Ten year old flimsy discmans, which have problems with CD-Rs anyway (I've had a few), break. Simple as that. Get over it.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2007, 04:32 AM

Wait guys, Dorkshire Rapper might be on to something...
I went drove to the beach in my car a few weeks ago. When I came back, I found out Anna Nicole had died.
If I hadn't stopped along the way to the beach to take a horrendous **** that flooded the toilet, Anna Nicole would still be alive today.
So you see, what Dorkshire says is happening with iTunes infecting his discman...it IS possible!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That's your answer right there. Ten year old flimsy discmans, which have problems with CD-Rs anyway (I've had a few), break. Simple as that. Get over it.
Heck. I can't even get an inkjet to last a year anymore without simply breaking. 10 years is still an extremely good run for a cd player.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks voiceofra, at least you know about this problrm.

FYI my Hi Fi is ok so its not got reinfected by itunes, I pulled the cable out quick.
I gave mac the serial number of my discman (under the battery) and they put me on hold for over 3minutes, I called the lady back 1 minute later an she had forgot me.

great customer service!!!!!!!!!!

Thorzdad
Feb 24, 2007, 12:23 PM

They were probably having a good laugh.
There is no possible way iTunes or the CDs burned with iTunes caused any harm to your old Discman. None. Nada. Zero. Can't-ever-happen.

You said yourself that your Discman is having problems with ALL CDs now, not just the few you burned with iTunes. Further, you state that the iTunes CDs play great in another player. Yet you continue to somehow blame iTunes for mysteriously ruining your 10-year-old Discman.

Be a big boy and face facts. The problem is your Discman.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 03:50 PM

Seriously, the problem is your Discman. The Apple support people have no idea how to support a problem that has nothing to do with their products. Why are you so determined to believe iTunes did this despite the overwhelming evidence that iTunes does not (and CANNOT) do such a thing?
Chuck
___

OreoCookie
Feb 24, 2007, 04:32 PM

We're not saying it's broken, either the lens is dirty (which may happen after 10 years of use) or that -- because of its age -- it doesn't work with a certain brand of CD-Rs.
There is no technical basis for this. A faulty CD cannot damage a drive, unless it physically splinters in the drive. Unplugging your stereo to `save it from infestation' is also a misguided attempt to remedy the situation, on the contrary, the only potential damage your stereo might have incurred is from suddenly unplugging it!

So why do you keep on ignoring our simple and cheap/free potential solutions to your problem and insist iTunes is to blame?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 24, 2007, 05:39 PM

I see two things here.

One : He is just too dumb to comprehend what everyone here is saying to him or
Two : He's just a troll.
Either way, lets just move on shall we?
( Last edited by JellyBeen; Feb 24, 2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: grammer)
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2007, 05:41 PM

FYI my Hi Fi is ok so its not got reinfected by itunes, I pulled the cable out quick.
I gave mac the serial number of my discman (under the battery) and they put me on hold for over 3minutes, I called the lady back 1 minute later an she had forgot me.
Ok, have you tried any burned cd's in another cd player? If the cd's work in another player, this means it's your Discman that's at fault.

Seriously, it's impossible for iTunes to break your Discman. We're talking laws of physics impossible. You can go to a different non-Mac forum and they'll tell you the same thing. Your Discman is 10 years old, it probably has a dirty lens. When you have a piece of electronics that is old, it's never a positive thing.

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 08:15 PM

This is the funniest thing I have read in the past 5 minutes. On the off chance you are serious, I can't imagine how hard your father must have been kicked in the nads to have a child as stupid as you.
-- Jason

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 08:13 AM

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
This is the funniest thing I have read in the past 5 minutes. On the off chance you are serious, I can't imagine how hard your father must have been kicked in the nads to have a child as stupid as you.
That, or too much ganja in the '60s.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 05:50 PM

Yeah, right, iTunes has infected his cd player.

Then why aren't all his players being infected?

Oh, I forgot, logic is beyond this "norom".

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Yeah, right, iTunes has infected his cd player.

Then why aren't all his players being infected?
Because I pulled the plug out in time.

You should read the whole page, some people have the same problem, and itunes also broke Gomacs inkjet printer in a similar way.

We need to get MAC to fix (patch) this hole.
( Last edited by The Yorkshire Rapper; Feb 26, 2007 at 07:23 AM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 07:34 AM

Yorkshire, you are either a troll or the dumbest person to ever grace this forum. Your inkjet comments sort of hints to the former.

Anyway, discman players are not known to be susceptible to viruses. End of discussion.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Yorkshire, you are either a troll or the dumbest person to ever grace this forum. Your inkjet comments sort of hints to the former.

Anyway, discman players are not known to be susceptible to viruses. End of discussion.
You do realize those last 3 words will ensure that this is NOT the end of the discussion for the Dorkshire Yapper...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 03:35 PM

You should read the whole page, some people have the same problem, and itunes also broke Gomacs inkjet printer in a similar way.
No, iTunes did not break my inkjet.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 04:17 PM

He agreed with voiceofra's post about taking a huge dump that killed Anna Nicole.

He's a troll.
Linkinus is king.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
He agreed with voiceofra's post about taking a huge dump that killed Anna Nicole.

He's a troll.
I was thinking that when I made the reply, but trolls tend to get angry when you call them out, so I held back

Thorzdad
Feb 26, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Oddly, my grandfather actually did die from that. Burst a vessel in his brain or heart or some such thing. Fell dead right there in the bathroom.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 04:52 PM

iTunes just broke my iTunes

Then I called MAC and my phone broke, just died right then and there.

It's a conspiracy!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

I don't mean to sound rude, Yorkshire, (well actually I do) but were you raised in a house with lead paint on the walls and windowsills?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 07:25 PM

Can we make this thread a sticky ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 05:03 AM

Yorkshire, I've seen this happen before. What you need to do is give your Discman some medicine to counter the iTunes virus. You can get the serum from Amazon. Here it is. Otherwise, the medicine you need is known as CD lens cleaner in most stores. Amazon.co.uk: Hama CD Laser Cleaning Disc: Electronics & Photo

Buy that and use it as instructed and your Discman will start working again. If you're lucky, it will even play iTunes CD's after you've immunised it. If not, give it the treatment again and only use your Discman for playing purchased CDs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 12:41 PM

My MAC gave my cat AIDS

jasong
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 01:03 PM

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive, I was hoping it would die a worse death than a mac infected Discman.
-- Jason

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 11:33 AM

You really are an idiot or you are trying to wind up people in here (i.e. a Troll)

There is no way on earth that a CD made on a computer can 'infect' a CD player.

1. the CD's you have made are music only, there is nothing on them to 'infect' with.
2. The CD player is just that 'A CD Player' is is not a computer, it is not programmable, it CANNOT be infected.

You have a faulty CD player - end of story.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 02:07 PM

I was just listening to a song on iTunes and now my toaster burns bagels...must have been caused by iTunes...Fricking Apple...

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 02:30 PM

Goaded
verb
provoke or annoy (someone) so as to stimulate some action or reaction

cms
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 04:02 PM

So much fun...

Love it love it love it

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 08:46 PM

Restrictions

FairPlay will allow a protected track to be used in the following ways:
The protected track may be copied to any number of iPod portable music players.
The protected track may be played on up to five (originally three) authorized computers simultaneously.
The protected track may be copied to a standard Audio CD any number of times.
The resulting CD has no DRM and may be ripped, encoded and played back like any other CD. However, CDs created by users do not attain first sale rights and cannot be legally leased, lent, sold or distributed to others by the creator.
The CD audio still bears the artifacts of compression, so converting it back into a lossy format such as MP3 may aggravate the sound artifacts of encoding (see transcoding). When re-ripping such a CD one should use a lossless audio codec such as FLAC however such files take up more space than the original .m4p files
-that may be your problem. Rip the DRM off before encoding to MP3 or otherwise.

MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 02:00 PM

I love this thread. It just made my day

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My MAC gave my cat AIDS
That was me actually.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive, I was hoping it would die a worse death than a mac infected Discman.
Some threads are just too funny to let them die peacefully.
Especially if the OP is not the sharpest lightbulb that fell of the truck.
Originally Posted by The Yorkshire Rapper

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 03:49 AM

All working now thanks.

vm7118
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 10:35 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules