Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Colors appear washed out after saving in CS3 "Picture Thread"

Colors appear washed out after saving in CS3 "Picture Thread"
macross
Dec 17, 2007, 02:32 AM

After I use "save for web" an image and upload it to the web, it doesn'tt resemble the image i worked on in CS3. I tried viewing hte image with all sorts of browsers on a PC & Mac, and only one that resembles the PP I did in CS3 is Safari (on Mac, but not PC). I tried IE, FF, and Safari on PC and no luck. I tried camino, FF on mac and no luck, only with safari will it resemble the colors in cs3.

Color Settings is currently set on North America General Purpose 2. Camera is set to sRGB

example image

left is how it looks washed out with anything but safari, middle is CS3, right is preview

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2007, 02:43 AM

I learned a lot about color management for web browsers from this site.

sRGB Correct ColorSpace Tutorial for the Internet The PROOF! www.gballard.net

Thorzdad
Dec 17, 2007, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the world of color-management!
First, the "North America General Purpose 2" color profile is, I believe, a CMYK profile. There's no reason to be using this profile unless 1) You are creating an image specifically for offset printing, and 2) Your print house specifically requests you use that profile. If you are working with images for web use, stay away from CMYK profiles.

For Photoshop, I usually work using the Adobe RGB profile. Once I'm done with all my editing, I then convert the image to the sRGB profile. Then you can use the Save for Web function do do the last bit of quality control. I get good results using this simplified workflow.

Of course, you need to calibrate your monitor first. If you can't afford a dedicated tool (or just don't want to spend any cash) you get acceptable results using SuperCal, a software-based calibration tool.

macross  (op)
Dec 17, 2007, 01:58 PM

I was under the impression NAG2 is the correct method because the working space list sRGB

Thorzdad
Dec 17, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by macross View Post
I was under the impression NAG2 is the correct method because the working space list sRGB
Ah. My mistake. I've never actually used any of the pre-sets and forgot that NAG2 was in there. I assumed you were referring to a specific color profile, not a set.
In any case, I would still recommend you set your RGB working space as Adobe RGB. This is about the widest gamut RGB profile, giving you maximum flexibility. As I said, once you're done with editing, then you can convert it to sRGB for web use.

Axell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 08:41 PM

All right. Lot of confusion here...

If you work only for the web (internet), just don't color manage unless you know why you want to and how you want to...

Most internet browser are not color managed to the notable exception of Safari, hence your problem with colors outside Safari, because you saved a file that was tagged with a profile that other browsers disregard.

If you still want to use color management, then set it to Web/Internet in photoshop, and before saving your pictures, choose Edit>Convert To Profile, then Save. This will actually apply the profile to your file.

Cheers.

macross  (op)
Dec 17, 2007, 10:15 PM

I had those settings you mentioned and its still showing up washed out and desaturated for some reason.

Should i have the one i have highlighted set or the top one, "working RGB - sRGB" ?

( Last edited by macross; Dec 17, 2007 at 10:23 PM. )

Thorzdad
Dec 18, 2007, 08:25 AM

Working RGB should be Adobe RGB.
Then, when you're done with the editing, go Image>Mode>Convert to Profile>Destination Space: sRGB. Then "Save for Web"

While it's true that most browsers don't support color management, to say one shouldn't color-manage images is just dead wrong. It's a matter of establishing an accurate reference point. Say, for instance, you don't do any color-management for images on a client's website. Now your client calls up screaming that the images you just did for his site look all orange, instead of accurate fleshtones. Unless you have set-up a relatively accurate color-managed workflow, you have no defense to his criticism.

macross...have you calibrated your monitor?

Axell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
While it's true that most browsers don't support color management, to say one shouldn't color-manage images is just dead wrong.
What I was saying is: if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it! Color managing while not knowing how it works and its implications is more likely to induce drastic surprises than help...

For internet graphics, color accuracy is less relevant since there is no way to tell the conditions under which they are going to be displayed (hardware, software, platform, light condition...)
Less relevant: that is unless you're working on a high profile job/demanding client. Now, if one works on such high skills job and has no idea about color workflow, maybe then it's time for a bit of sit down and study before proceeding.

Say, for instance, you don't do any color-management for images on a client's website. Now your client calls up screaming that the images you just did for his site look all orange, instead of accurate fleshtones. Unless you have set-up a relatively accurate color-managed workflow, you have no defense to his criticism.
Well, even if you color manage (or try to) and got it wrong, you wouldn't have much more defense, this argument is empty.

Point is, don't do color management before you understand its principles. For most of the stuff that's on the web today, it would work just fine.
If one wants to do color workflow management, it's arduous business and it requires knowledge but yes, it will definitely bring any web designer a step further.

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2007, 08:45 AM

Well, even if you color manage (or try to) and got it wrong, you wouldn't have much more defense, this argument is empty.
Actually, you would be able to explain the issue from a professional standing. You would explain to the client how you took pains to assure your system was calibrated and tuned to produce accurate colors, in order to provide the best possible images for him. Clients actually understand and appreciate the explanation, and the fact that you care enough about your work in this way. I'm afraid your "The web is inherently inaccurate, so no need to bother." wouldn't bring you much repeat business. It would make me wonder where else you take such a lazy attitude.

Look...the OP asked for help with a color problem. Whether or not he's preparing images professionally or just for his personal family website, the answer to his problem is obviously a color-management issue. What I laid-out for him is a simple, user-friendly approach that works. For you to hop in here and start throwing red flags, declaring "It's too complex. Don't do it." is far from helpful.

If, as you state, that the OP shouldn't delve into color-management without first knowing the principles, why don't you be helpful and post some links clearly explaining the basics?
Your whole argument seems to be "You might get it wrong." True. But, chances are they will probably get it right. Especially if they ask for assistance. Which was the whole point of the original post and my answers, unlike your defeatist replies.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 04:21 PM

I agree with Thorzdad. The OP is not trying to become a professional color management expert. No one is claiming it's an easy subject and putting down professionals.

By no means am I a color expert, but having a general knowledge never hurt anyone.

I don't go attacking people designing a business card just because they don't have a degree in graphic design. I give them pointers for a beginner and that's what Thorzdad is doing.

macross  (op)
Dec 24, 2007, 09:38 PM

no, my MBP monitor is not calibrated. I tried switching around from 1.8 to 2.2 and giving the built in calibration a shot, still not sure what the issue is (although I do see a closer resemblance to my cs3 colors when i have 2.2 set). I'm a graphic design student, but pictures in question are for personal use.
( Last edited by macross; Dec 24, 2007 at 09:56 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules