Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.2.1 - When?

MacOS 9.2.1 - When?
Kestral
Senior User
Aug 16, 2001, 09:53 PM

I was curious to know, anyone with any thoughts/link re: the release of an update from OS 9.1? I've been in Alaska for the past 6 weeks and thinking that it was time to re-install my main system software but if a new update is coming out, might as well wait until then - a site yesterday mentioned that it was going to be released but then at the last minute, said that it would be released next week. So what gives?

-Q-
Aug 16, 2001, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't bother waiting. You can waste you life waiting for the "next thing" from Apple. And the rumor sites just aren't reliable. If you need to install your system software, go ahead. 9.2.1 won't be a big update. I'm running 9.2 and I really don't notice a whole lot is different...

jadolfsson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 10:21 PM

Obviously Apple is running 9.2.1 on all the Macs at their stores. It's final it seems... the last seed I know of is fc7.

mkd
Aug 17, 2001, 03:15 AM

I have a uh... a "friend" running 9.2.0 on his iBook. *cough* It is just about eh same as 9.1 except a lot shower starting up. It won't boot in classic when running 10.1 build 5f24, though. But he *cough, cough* hasn't tried 5g15.
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

mkd
Aug 17, 2001, 03:19 AM

I have a uh... a "friend" running 9.2.0 on his iBook. *cough* It is just about eh same as 9.1 except a lot shower starting up. It won't boot in classic when running 10.1 build 5f24, though. But he *cough, cough* hasn't tried 5g15. As for 9.2.1, it's floating around but I haven't heard anything about it.
-Morgan Davis
AIM: RobinHoodX333

-Q-
Aug 17, 2001, 07:13 AM

You should see a doctor about that cough.

And 9.2 is running just zippily on my iBook 500. I've had not problems with it at all...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2001, 08:33 AM

i thought 9.2 was just for the new G4 quicksilvers? eh?

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2001, 09:55 AM

9.2 runs fine on my iBook... in Classic too (5f24)

Mac Guru

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2001, 10:47 AM

9.2 runs fine on my iBook... in Classic too (5f24)

Mac Guru

Axiom
Aug 17, 2001, 01:22 PM

Are there any support issues unique to 9.2? I can't find any info in Apple's Service Source, nor on the other sites.

I have a user with 9.2, who just got a new Quicksilver last week, and it worked fine, until one little freeze, and BLAMMO, now the major apps (Quark, Photoshop, possibly others) have issues. Some apps will quit during startup with a type 2 error, some just don't work quite right (e.g. Photoshop won't save JPEG's).

I haven't seen the system yet (it's off-site), but I can't recall one freeze ever damaging an OS this badly before. Perhaps this explains why 9.21 has been spotted already...

<Overdosed Rock Star>
Aug 18, 2001, 07:17 AM

I heard that OS 9.2.1 absolutely BLAZES compared to OS 9.1. According to this report, Apple has speeded it up so that Classic runs fast in OS X v10.1. The funny part is that even with the speed improvements of OS X, OS 9.2.1 is so fast that X will NEVER catch up to it.

This report on 9.2.1's speed asserts that the OS made a PMG4 400 MHz computer feel like a PMG4 533 MHz computer. Wow. Also, I heard that Open GL is wicked fast and that Quake gets a solid 20% boost in framerates.

tdominey
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2001, 10:02 AM

The above post is rubish. I gave 9.2 a whirl on a G4 dual 533 and a dual usb iBook, and saw none of what the previous poster said. As a matter of fact, 9.2 caused all kinds of problems with the G4, but worked just the same as 9.1 on my iBook. Apps crashed, OpenGL did bizarre things, and the Finder became a total mess on the G4.

I finally had to zero out the HD and reinstall 9.1 All is back to normal now.

Obviously there is A REASON why Apple hasn't made it available to 9.1 users yet.

Any posts about frame rate increases and blazing speed are just wrong.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

<Dave>
Aug 21, 2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by mkd:
<STRONG>I have a uh... a "friend" running 9.2.0 on his iBook. *cough* It is just about eh same as 9.1 except a lot shower starting up. It won't boot in classic when running 10.1 build 5f24, though. But he *cough, cough* hasn't tried 5g15. As for 9.2.1, it's floating around but I haven't heard anything about it.</STRONG>
I have just downloaded 9.2.1fC. Will try it tonight.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2001, 03:38 PM

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2001, 04:34 PM

So what are the reactions to 9.2.1? Any problems that people have had? How about upgrading from 9.1? This is supposedly supported by the update as well. ARe there any 9.1-&gt;9.2.1 issues versus 9.2-&gt;9.2.1?

Dan

Paul Conaway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 04:54 PM

The read me says it is only supported on OS X capable macs. Will the installer run on 9.1 capable macs?

I would like to install the update on my Power Mac 6500/250 currently running 9.1

Paul

x user
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2001, 05:01 PM

Well I just popped my iBook 500 CD up from 9.1 to 9.2.1 and the only difference I've noticed so far is:

1. Busy cursor when booting is a spinning black and white ball instead of the watch

2. Serial number displayed in the Apple system Profiler.

I haven't tried it with OS X (10.0.4) yet. How the heck can I get my hands on ... Cough 10.1

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2001, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I don't notice much difference either on my (day-old) iBook. It installed without problem, though. I'll try it in the Classic environment tonight when I have time to play.

I'll probalby wait a little bit to upgrade my G4 at work, though. I had big problems when I rushed into the 9.1 update on the first day. They're all fixed now, but it took a LONG time to get everything resolved. Probably won't have a similar experience, but you never know....

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2001, 06:04 PM

Paul:

The update will not install on your 6500, only on those Macs that can run OS X. I tried it on my PCP 210 with an upgraded G3 processor, and it didn't work... the installer quit saying essentially that my Mac was not supported. I've also updated my Rev. A iBook from 9.1... nothing different (didn't really expect anything new), but I must say, things "feel" faster (I don't have any numbers to back this up.

Chris

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Chris_G:
<STRONG>I've also updated my Rev. A iBook from 9.1... nothing different (didn't really expect anything new), but I must say, things "feel" faster (I don't have any numbers to back this up.</STRONG>
Chris, just installed 9.2.1 updater on my Pismo 400, I've found this to be the case to, things feel snappier. Wondering if it's psychological but hey, even if I think it feels faster, that's still pretty good

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 21, 2001, 07:06 PM

updated from 9.1 to 9.2.1 on my G4/500MP (gigabit ethernet)
feels faster.
it disabled my version of logitech's mouseware software, but a quick update solved that. tablet seems to still work. haven't tried my scanner or anything in X classic yet, but i imagine it'll be fine.

a nice update.

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2001, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>a nice update.</STRONG>
Just wish I knew what all that 84 or so megs actually did - but hey if feels snappy so that's good enough for me!

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 21, 2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Kestral:
Just wish I knew what all that 84 or so megs actually did - but hey if feels snappy so that's good enough for me!
Exactly. Of course, by nice I mean: nothing blew up.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2001, 07:59 PM

Just installed OS 9.2.1 on my Ti G4 (no OSX installed), here are my first impressions:

starting up time seems a bit longer
overall system feels much snappier
applications load faster
IE, Netscape page display seems faster (esp. scrolling)

Next tests (UT, Photoshop, Illustrator, Office) later.

Worth the download

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: GK ]

Eugene
Senior User
Aug 21, 2001, 08:08 PM

If you can't get it from Apple...I've uploaded the US-English update here:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/adm/

nyr44
Aug 21, 2001, 08:43 PM

I installed 9.2.1 on a Dual USB iBook. Thoughts:

Downloaded very fast; 9.1 took 2 days to get!
Boot added about 10 seconds, but stilll faster than X.
DVD Player works better than ever before. A great suprise.
A little quicker; IE renders better.
VERY Stable. A large number of device drivers are on my system, with no problems after update (A first for me!)

Well done overall. Get it if you have the bandwidth.

~Kris

ibookmark
Aug 21, 2001, 09:49 PM

Did anyone notice in the Appearance control panel under the Appearance tab an option called "Liquid"? I am running only 9.2 on my 366 se ibook. It gives an aqua look to windows and responds the same.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2001, 09:54 PM

downloaded 9.2.1 (8 minutes).
installed on my pismo (no OSX).
did my resedit stuff (2nd enter key, etc), no problem.

everything seems...MAYBE a little smoother, but time will tell.
printer, hotsync etc all work.

guess i'm ready for x...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2001, 10:23 PM

Installed it on a PMG4, 400 MHz/576 MB RAM/Radeon, running OS 9.1. The installation went fine, no problems.

Applications seem to load faster compared to 9.1, but I've yet to notice any other changes in performance. Too early to judge the stability of this release.

I noticed the liquid theme, but I already had a bunch of themes in there and I don't remember if "liquid" was one of the custom themes I downloaded previously. When I tried liquid, all of the window title bars got dorked out, so I'm back to using Platinum....no complaints here, I love it.

Thanks Apple!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Vsx1
Aug 21, 2001, 10:23 PM

9.2.1 has arrived. QT has been updated to 5.0.2, there are also new utilities versions. Big file 82 MB. Works pretty good so far.
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2001, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Vsx1:
<STRONG>9.2.1 has arrived. QT has been updated to 5.0.2, there are also new utilities versions. Big file 82 MB. Works pretty good so far.</STRONG>
QT 5.0.2 has been out for quite awhile, FWIW. -p

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 22, 2001, 02:35 PM

hmm, i don't see any Liquid theme in my appearance cp. that's odd.
one other thing it did: 9.2.1 disabled the control-eject shutdown key combo on pro keyboards. now it just opens my dvd drive. anybody know if there is a new keyboard shutdown combo?

ibookmark
Aug 22, 2001, 09:38 PM

Hmmm. Like OverclockedHomoSapien, I must have downloaded this liquid theme some time ago and forgot about it. I rediscovered it just fiddling around with the os after installing. At least thats where I think "Liquid" came from

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: ibookmark ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules