Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > POLL: What OS do you spend the most time in?

POLL: What OS do you spend the most time in? (Page 2)
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 08:36 PM

OS X got everything I need.

I'm sorry for all of you who are dependent on drivers for scanners and such, hope you are bugging them for the drivers so you can enjoy system stability.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

muddywaters2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 09:04 PM

From La Honda? Where the Merry Pranksters partied with the Hell's Angels years ago? Quite enigmatic.

Re:

"OS X got everything I need.

I'm sorry for all of you who are dependent on drivers for scanners and such, hope you are bugging them for the drivers so you can enjoy system stability. "
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _ __ _
Thank you for your concern; much appreciation.

Uh, what system stability. My system rarely crashes (OS 9); if it does, I reset the PRAM or worse, run Tech Tools Pro once and voilia, no problema. Beats re-instalilng an entire system.

What peripherals? None really work well and darn it, I don't have my trust fund yet to buy new ones. But there's always hope: I usually win at the dogfights.

Cheers.

<and the winner is....>
Dec 16, 2001, 11:48 PM

MAC OS 9.2.2
"indiscutiblemente" whatever that means! :o

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2001, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by marusin:
<STRONG>

Once you really start using X, you really won't want to go back (of course that is if all of your apps are still only in 9).</STRONG>
Thats funny, the more I play with X.1 the more I want to boot back into 9.2.....

As for die-hard 9 users, Ciph and I may be in a dead heat here

And I said it once and I'll say it again: Once x does everything and more that I currently do day-in and day-out better, faster, and more intuitively then I will be sticking with the ol addage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and 9 isn't broke by a long shot.

Cipher13
Dec 19, 2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by &lt;and the winner is....&gt;:
<STRONG>MAC OS 9.2.2
"indiscutiblemente" whatever that means! :o</STRONG>
Grr. 9.1.

The number of people who still think they can do actual work in OSX amazes me. Very amusing.

-1984-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2001, 11:49 AM

9.04. With 3 kids and a mortgage I don't see myself affording an X-capable Mac anytime soon. (And I don't have the time to learn Unix; if I did I'd use it instead of a Mac.)
(Sorry for all the edits; broken image.)

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: -1984- ]

Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 02:48 PM

Vote = Mac OS X (Classic is used for PhotoShop and Dreamweaver Ultradev only. Oh yeah real player too).
My pants are fancier than yours!

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

Grr. 9.1.

The number of people who still think they can do actual work in OSX amazes me. Very amusing.</STRONG>
That's absurd. To so you can't get any work done is one thing. To say that other people who think they are getting work done in OS X actually aren't is just plain crap.

I use OS X all the time, and I get work done in it. Do you know what I do? How do you know if I'm deluding myself?

dave

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 05:11 PM

X

for PHP
Apache
Java
Terminal

All the new UNIX stuff we find here by default!

For the rest, why go back in 9?
People who don't like OSX are the ones afraid by the new UNIX style of life

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 05:26 PM

I loaded OS X about three weeks ago, and after discovering that Classic does not run with Norton File Saver enabled, everything worked fine.

However, with a Beige G3/300 Mhz/384 MB, OS X is enjoyable - but I have a printer that is not supported in OS X and it looks like Epson will never provide X drivers. Also, I can't print from Classic either. So I experiment, surf the web, use iTunes in OS X, check email (Nisus Email 1.6 for OS X).

But I have to reboot into 9.2.2 to get to a printer. And the major apps I use are not cocoa or carbon (Nisus Writer, FrameMaker, PageMaker, Reunion, etc.).

So while I like OS X, I am a user in 9.2.2. And happy!
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2001, 01:24 AM

Vote=OS X (10.1).

I took the plunge when I saw how well-integrated OS 9.2.2 was with 10.1. Any OS 9 software I need to run works very well in Classic (I don't notice much of a speed hit except when I drag out Quark).

I like IE 5.1 for OS X, don't mine AOL 5 for 10.1 (hate the anti-aliasing and window interleaving, though), my job supplied me with Office v.X (though my Office 98 works flawlessly in Classic).

I love the stability of 10.1 and the fact that when AOHell inevitably crashes, my Mac and all my other applications keep plugging away happily. I'm also nuts about Column view and how drop-dead easy it makes navigating your files. Whenever I'm in OS 9 I feel frustrated because I can't use it.

I use Macs at home and work, and at home I have a desktop (450 Cube) and a portable (iBook 2001). I use 10.1 on all three. At work I need to print through Classic (so I end up running Office 98 and Office v.X simultaneously) due to a printer incompatibility. At home, the only time Classic runs is 3 minutes every morning to sync my Palm device, otherwise I'm firmly in 10.1.

Except for Real Player, which is a real pain in the rump. While it works in Classic, the sound and picture are always out of sync, so to watch the regular Net news feeds that I like, I have to boot into 9. That bugs me a lot, since Real is not exactly forthcoming with details of a Cocoa or even Carbon version of the player.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Cipher13
Dec 24, 2001, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>X

for PHP
Apache
Java
Terminal

All the new UNIX stuff we find here by default!

For the rest, why go back in 9?
People who don't like OSX are the ones afraid by the new UNIX style of life </STRONG>
Actually, the *only* thing about OSX that I like is the UNIX garbage... I love the terminal. That generalisation was almost as bad as mine

Originally posted by davechen:
<STRONG>

That's absurd. To so you can't get any work done is one thing. To say that other people who think they are getting work done in OS X actually aren't is just plain crap.

I use OS X all the time, and I get work done in it. Do you know what I do? How do you know if I'm deluding myself?

dave</STRONG>
Well of course, I'm not the one to ask whether you're deluding yourself

muddywaters2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2001, 12:13 AM

Boy I wish that I were a rich fella and saw the greatness in learning an entirely alien system and enjoyed it being shoved down my throat.

When Apple sells computers that w/not run 9.04 or 9.1, I'll get me a nice Windoze machine that I'm sure the "other side" has prepared for.

Believe me, people that dig the Mac OS will convert very reluctantly to this alien, bizarre, code loving system. I can see that the geeks however (with trust funds or great investments for all their new apps) will be very pleased.

When that day comes, I'll be very happy to see Apple go under, as it's OS X zealots.

Am I opinionated? Sorry. OS 9.1 for me; if it ain't broken, why fix it?

Answer: if you're a trust -funder or developer with nothing else to do since OS 9 makes so many people happy. And those who don't think it's a beta and will not remain a beta for YEARS I think are deluding themself. Enjoy those patches, updates, and please, volunteer your hard bought time as a Developer to help Steve's corporation.

Happy New Year otherwise.

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 25, 2001, 08:24 AM

100% OS X

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 25, 2001, 08:26 AM

Double post ... I didn't notice the second page ...

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: Jan Van Boghout ]

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>OW is awesome but slow-</STRONG>
tried 4.1b? it amazed me

scarab
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2001, 10:07 AM

I was 100% Mac OS X from a fortnight ago. Finally got the basic apps I needed like Office v.X so I removed all traces of classic, and strangely enough, I haven't had the need to reinstall 9.x Well to each his own; it's what you are most productive in that matters. I still miss Photoshop and Epson drivers though

Cipher13
Dec 25, 2001, 07:07 PM

You miss them but do nothing about it?

So... you make sacrifices such as a loss of functionality (via applications)... for what? Cute animations?

Forum Links
Forum Rules