Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Cider Vinegar uses

Apple Cider Vinegar uses
mindwaves
Oct 8, 2019, 10:07 AM

I have had charley horses for a while now, maybe 2x a year. Very painful sensation that leaves the muscles sore for hours. But recently, that 2x a year changed to once a month.I tried eating bananas for potassium but never worked.

I read the health benefits of apple cider vinegar (ACV) for other things but never read it being useful for charley horses. So I've been taking a teaspoon of ACV with water twice a day and I noticed that I haven't had a charley horse for a long time.

So I googled charley horse and ACV and found that other people say that it is useful even after a charley horse episode. So in my unbiased and blind, unscientific example, I find that ACV does work for charley horses.

Hope people on this board can take ACV also if they have similar issues. Any other ACV examples?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2019, 10:48 AM

My wife loves the instagram influencers and their batshit home remedies (ask me about my Norwex, essential oil diffusers, or all natural laundry detergent). One of them recommended an ACV face wash. Afterwards I couldn't get within a foot of her face without gagging, so she doesn't do that anymore.

I have been using white distilled vinegar in the laundry for a while now in addition to regular detergent. Laundry comes out less...musty. And there's no pleasure in slamming your face into recently-bleached towel that feels like being waterboarded by a public swimming pool.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2019, 11:29 AM

When my stomach started refusing to process wheat, ACV was one of the things I tried, and it does seem to help somewhat with digestion. Never drank it but used it in cooking or with vegetables. Makes a good cole slaw.

It's also good for skin issues, certain rashes etc, but wash it off afterwards!

White vinegar in the laundry is good for cleaning the machine itself, which is why things are less musty. Vinegar kills mold better than bleach.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My wife loves the instagram influencers and their batshit home remedies (ask me about my Norwex, essential oil diffusers, or all natural laundry detergent).
Haha same here. Although she also got some all-natural dryer balls made of New Zealand wool in lieu of dryer sheets and not only has it cut out that chemical smell I never liked it’s actually cut down on drying time pretty substantially.

Vinegar makes me want to vomit, but it certainly has some uses. We do white vinegar and baking soda to de-stink the washing machine and dish washer, and a small cup of ACV, one drop of dish soap, and a paper funnel keeps the fruit flies at bay quite nicely.

Oct 8, 2019, 01:13 PM

We use it as bait in fruitfly traps.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Haha same here. Although she also got some all-natural dryer balls made of New Zealand wool in lieu of dryer sheets and not only has it cut out that chemical smell I never liked it’s actually cut down on drying time pretty substantially.
I FORGOT ABOUT THE ****ING DRYER BALLS.

"You put a safety pin in them and they remove all static!"

No they ****ing don't. All of my clothes were stuck to all of my clothes. It's okay though, she found some all-natural dryer sheet bullshit that still doesn't work but probably costs more.

Give me my toxic-chemical-laced home products that actually work and smell like the hills from The Sound of Music and will eventually give me cancer. At least my shorts won't be sticking to my leg as my body eats itself from the inside out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 04:09 PM

I think excessive static is because your dryer is running much longer than it needs to be, ours has some kind of moisture sensing technology I’m sure will shit the bed in 3 years but it’ll turn off once the clothes are dry.

I can only assume every container in your house is either glass or stainless steel as well. I have to keep my eye rolling in check with some of this stuff but I’m pretty hands off with buying home good so I guess I don’t have much of a say to begin with.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 04:30 PM

Hahahaha, I bought the glass refrigerator storage containers for her. She still raves about how it's one of the best gifts I've ever bought her.

The dryer has an auto setting but I tell it to go extra-dry or else a corner of the sheets or my jeans will still be wet.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2019, 04:51 PM

Been meaning to try the wool. There's stuff you can spray on the wool balls to make them be more static control. It might even be that good ol' toxic stuff.
glass tupperware is good, lasts longer than the plastic stuff, you can reheat without fear of cancer, but it is bulky and heavy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 05:01 PM

I was totally on board with glass "tupperware", the way the plastic stuff gets stained and retains smells is pretty gross, also the aforementioned microwave cancer aspect. Don't really feel like the coffee container needed to be stainless, but it does look nicer than the plastic one. I'm on board with organic milk, cereal, fruit etc.. for the baby, I spent my youth eating Dunkaroos and Gushers, I'm a lost cause.

An interesting anecdote about my paternal Grandmother, my Father, my Sister, and I. We are all lactose intolerant, and we all developed it around the same time. A total span of 50 years between and we all couldn't digest milk within 5 years of each-other. Obviously there's some genetics involved here, but our conspiracy theory is it's due to the increasing hormones in milk.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2019, 05:23 PM

Antibiotics could also be a culprit. That's what I blame for my gluten intolerance. Some people also blame glucosphate, aka Roundup.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 05:53 PM

Yeah that’s a dirty word round these parts now. Again, I’m not opposed to paying more attention to my little Zoey’s diet, but I stand somewhere between “it’s bad and should be avoided” and “Mmmmm Choco Tacos”

I picture Subego reading this thread with a cig hanging out of his lips just smirking....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2019, 06:30 PM

I had a friend growing up who put enough malt vinegar on his chips (fries to you) that the last few on the plate would float. Then he'd drink it off the plate like soup from a bowl.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2019, 07:59 AM

I physically shuddered.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yeah that’s a dirty word round these parts now. Again, I’m not opposed to paying more attention to my little Zoey’s diet, but I stand somewhere between “it’s bad and should be avoided” and “Mmmmm Choco Tacos”
My oldest is 6 and he's had soda maybe...like...three times in his life?

I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot with the youngest one though. When I was still traveling and the older one was 4 or so, we put breakfast foods in easy-to-reach areas so he could gain a little self-sufficiency and give my wife a break. But now the little one has discovered where all of the bananas and fig bars and applesauce packets are and has taken to getting herself a snack whenever she wants. Luckily she can't open them by herself now and needs help, which gives us the opportunity to tell her to put it back, but my biggest struggle in life is that when I'm bored I eat, and we're basically programming that in from year one...

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2019, 08:28 PM

The crux of apple cider vinegar ingestion is that it really does do something. But it does not do everything the "nuts and flakes" crowd says it does.

The BBC did an actual experiment (with controls and everything) to test some of those claims. Drinking a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before a carb-heavy meal can reduce the blood sugar spike such meals can cause. It can also reduce your cholesterol levels, even in healthy individuals. Their experiments found no impact on weight loss, nor on markers of inflammation. And it probably didn't help the volunteers GPAs or credit ratings, either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules