Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ignorant question concerning BTO Powerbook

Ignorant question concerning BTO Powerbook
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 10:21 AM

I'm on the fence about buying a new 15" 1.5 Powerbook. There are a few BTO options I am really interested in, but it is my understanding that Apple will only repair a BTO system if there are problems other than a DOA. IF anything other than a DOA occurs, I'll just have to suck it up and let them repair - even if the system is brand new. I'm not looking to always get a new machine if a simple problem occurs, but I really have a hard time with this policy if it is true. Can anyone clear this up for me?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 05:20 PM

I really doubt that that is true, what kind of company policy would that be ? Not to repair BTO's under warranty ? I have 2 BTO's, haven't had any problems yet, but it would be the crappiest service ever if they came up with a BTO argument to make me pay for the repair that falls under warranty. I wouldn't worry about that rumor, I very highly doubt it is true ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 05:49 PM

I think DKeithA meant that Apple will only repair BTOs and not replace them with a brand new mac, unless they are DOA.
I think this is probably true, although Apple tend to try to repair macs anyway instead of replcaing them, unless they are only a few days old/have a major problem/have recurring problems.
As far as demanding a new mac when yours might need a repair for more than a 'simple problem', what sort of problem would cause you to want a new replacement instead of a repair? This would obviously costs Apple money; they have to give you a brand new replacement, repair your machine anyway, and then sell it as a refurb - overall losing about 20-40% of the cost of your Powerbook as new (refurb discount).

Concerning BTO, if this is the most affordable way to customise a Powerbook to your needs then get it. If it breaks and Apple will only repair it and not give you a replacement then so be it. You will end up with a working Powerbook.
Chances are it won't break down anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules