Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iphoto and Tiger

iphoto and Tiger
redoid
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 08:35 PM

Guys,

i am about to go insane.

Since i installed tiger, iphoto acts weird and freezes on me everytime i try to browse the Library folder.

Other folders are ok, but damn i cannot access the top part of the Library folder. It worked ok before Tiger.

Did you encounter the same problem?

thnx
its a fact that im dope.

shamelri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 03:45 PM

I wish I could answer that. I did a full install of Tiger and I didn't know it didn't come with Iphoto. I guess I either have to buy Ilife or somehow get it off my 10.2 disc.

i_wolf
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 07:18 PM

I have seen iPhoto (iLife 05) version acting very strange under Tiger. It seams to be very unstable. Particularly when you create lots of albums; then start adding pictures to your different albums. I have found that you could could be working on one album and then iPhoto crashes. When you get back into iPhoto half of the albums you had created and organised do not appear.
Has happened repeatedly on a work machine we have. Very frustrating.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 11:07 PM

Did you repair disk permissions after installing Tiger? If not do so first thing. Are you using the ampersand "&" character in any of the album names? That's been found to be a real iPhoto killer. Have you tried to rebuild the iPhoto library?

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Old Toad
Did you repair disk permissions after installing Tiger? If not do so first thing. Are you using the ampersand "&" character in any of the album names? That's been found to be a real iPhoto killer. Have you tried to rebuild the iPhoto library?

yeah i did repair disk permissions after installing Tiger. I use iphoto 05 by the way. I dont use any weird charaters in my album names. Only the _ .

How do you rebuild the library by the way?

Thanks for the help guys
its a fact that im dope.

memento
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 09:20 AM

I noticed the same thing. VERY unstable with Tiger and iPhoto '05. I did a repair disk permission before and after Tiger install. iPhoto crashes when I make adjustements to photos, when I click to email a photo, importing new photos, and sometimes even when I just double click a photo. I hope there's an update soon.

To rebuild the libraries, hold down the option and command keys while launching iPhoto. This did not help me.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 09:56 AM

thnx memento...

i get to choose different options when rebuilding...

which one shall i use?

cheers
its a fact that im dope.

memento
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 12:14 PM

I'm not at my mac, what are the options?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 08:15 PM

nevermind memento...

i did rebuild the librairies but it still craps out on me :/
its a fact that im dope.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2005, 11:07 PM

Wow, yeah, iPhoto does NOT like Tiger.

I am on a G4 1.4, admittedly not the fastest machine, but iPhoto was semi-useable before, now as the library grows, and most notably after Tiger installation, this thing CRAWLS and CRASHES.

Hopefully there's an update coming....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 06:28 AM

I ve been stressing Iphoto the past two hours and holy ****, it crashes everytime!

god damn
its a fact that im dope.

memento
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 12:36 PM

I'm hearing that trashing the ~>Library>Preferences>com.Apple.iPhoto.plist is a potential fix, but I don't know what is lost if you trash that file. I'm tyrying to find that out.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 12:40 PM

So far it seems to be working fine for me. Then again I did a reformat and install.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

memento
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 03:30 PM

So the fix seems to be to trash the prefs file. You supposedly won't lose your libraries or photos, just custom settings like icon size, etc.

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 08:19 PM

yup it works to some extent.

But, when trying to resizing the main window to the fullest, it still crashes. I have to use a limited size.

Guess i will wait for a fix from Apple

Cheers anyway.
its a fact that im dope.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 10:50 PM

iPhoto is working well for me in Tiger except I'm getting regular crashes while editing. It happens fairly often when clicking 'next' after having made a few adjustments. Start-up, navigation, import all seems fine. Shut down takes as long as ever.

memento
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 08:29 AM

yeah - I tried trashing my prefs, but still crashes for me. I was hopeful, but no dice.

I don't consider crashing while editing "working well" at all. Mine seems to crash when editing or sending email. Apple probably has 50 error reports from me so far. I send it every time.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2005, 09:44 AM

For the record, I did a re-format and install, tried trashing the prefs, and rebuilding the thumbnails, and still have serious performance issues with iPhoto in Tiger.

Quitting the app is just ridiculous...waiting...waiting....

I also send an error report everytime it crashes-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 07:32 AM

LeeG

yeah same here, i flooded Apple with bug reports the past week...
its a fact that im dope.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by redoid
LeeG

yeah same here, i flooded Apple with bug reports the past week...

Aside from iPhoto, the OS feels quicker overall, but iPhoto is a dog under Tiger - I really hope there's a fix in the works...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

memento
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 09:40 AM

I see that 10.4.1 is in the works and includes SOME kind of fix for iPhoto. Hopefully this will be taken care of.

mhodos
May 7, 2005, 06:08 PM

iPhoto went bad on me with 10.3.9 and I was hoping 10.4 would correct it. But it didn't. There are several in Apple's discussions with a similar problem.

It hangs whenever I try to import photos from my CF card using a PC-Card reader. Even if I don't import, if my card is in the computer, iPhoto will lock up after a while. I have to copy the photos to the computer using finder, disconnect/remove the camera/card and then I can drag and drop the photos into iPhoto (most recent v5).

I rebuilt the library as well, without success. Maybe there is a plist problem.

Mike

ps...quitting iPhoto takes forever for me, too.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 04:55 AM

iPhoto keeps hanging on the "loading photo's" screen right after the start here.

Nothing helps,re-installed 3 times,trashed everything,repaired permissions,cleaned caches,it still hangs.

I can click all buttons,then it will work a bit,but I have to force-quit to stop,so nothing is saved.

I hope Apple will fix this....
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

allensis
Jun 30, 2005, 03:04 PM

I had iPhoto with my original PB12" OS (10.2) and kept it updated through 10.2.3.

Just did a full install (clean hard drive) of Tiger (10.4) only to find out iPhoto is NOT included.

A. That is crappy - thanks Apple!

B. How do I get back to iPhoto 4 so that I can utilize the update .dmg on apple.com?

It appears I did not maintain a copy of my last system version of iPhoto. The only one I could find on my backups is v. 2.0.

I have the original Jaguar install disks (10.2), Panther (10.3), and of course Tiger (10.4).

Please help!

Thanks,

joseph

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by allensis

I had iPhoto with my original PB12" OS (10.2) and kept it updated through 10.2.3.

Just did a full install (clean hard drive) of Tiger (10.4) only to find out iPhoto is NOT included.

A. That is crappy - thanks Apple!

B. How do I get back to iPhoto 4 so that I can utilize the update .dmg on apple.com?

It appears I did not maintain a copy of my last system version of iPhoto. The only one I could find on my backups is v. 2.0.

I have the original Jaguar install disks (10.2), Panther (10.3), and of course Tiger (10.4).

Please help!

Thanks,

joseph
It was posted on the box and on the website that iLife and third party programs are not included with Tiger. If you have the original discs that came with the computer, look for the restore disc and go off that to get the '04 apps installed.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

allensis
Jun 30, 2005, 03:18 PM

Oops, forgot to mention I am a College Student...no retail box.

What are the steps to do a RESTORE from my previous install disks?

Thanks,

joseph

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by allensis
Oops, forgot to mention I am a College Student...no retail box.

What are the steps to do a RESTORE from my previous install disks?

Thanks,

joseph
Put them in, click "restore." Make sure your data is backed up somewhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules