Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari not downloading compressed files (.sitx, .rar, etc)

Safari not downloading compressed files (.sitx, .rar, etc)
Shark026
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 04:46 AM

I believe that I have had this problem with Safari since I have installed Tiger. I can't seem to download any compressed files expect for .zip files. Every other compressed file type (.rar, .sitx, etc),instead of downloading, loads a new page of complete mumbo jumbo! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have been switching back and forth from Firefox and Safari to download files, but I want it to work on Safari.

Here is an example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...26/problem.gif

Anyone else having the same problem?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 09:44 AM

It's a misconfiguration of the server afaict.

Hold down the Option key before clicking the link to .sit(x) files.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 11:40 AM

I've always had this problem with .sitx files, no matter what server they are on. As far as I can tell, it is a Safari or Stuffit problem. I'm only on 10.3.9 too. If you download and open MisFox, you can see there is no file mapping for .stix files. I guess you could add one if you wanted to.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
I've always had this problem with .sitx files, no matter what server they are on. As far as I can tell, it is a Safari or Stuffit problem.
No, it's definitely a server configuration problem. .sitx is a rather new extension and by default the servers don't know about it so they send it with a text mime-type. Most people who offer .sitx files don't know how to configure the server correctly or don't have the privileges to do so.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 01:08 PM

Even so, at least Firefox has the wits about it to download .sitx as binary files instead of displaying as text. The server may be responsible for sending the mime-type, but that doesn't mean the client cannot also be a little responsible and check that the server knows what its talking about.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Shark026  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. At least I know that it is not a problem with Safari, just a server problem. I tried holding down the option key, but it just saves as a .txt file. The file will open if renamed. So I guess that I will just have to rename those files that have this problem.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 05:40 PM

Or, you could copy the link then open the downloads window and paste it in there...
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

david_copperfield
Aug 11, 2005, 10:45 PM

when you are pushing down a wall, why not use a cannon rather than hammers?

using the safari/firfox's download manager is not convinient.

speed download is a nice tool to use.

__^^__
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 11:03 PM

With Tiger I've never had a problem downloading sitx files only expanding them. I finally figured out I had to down stuffit expander. Go figure.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 04:00 AM

There can be very strange server/browser interactions. For quite a while, all of the HTML pages served off of my iDisk would be downloaded instead of viewed by default in Gecko-based browsers. Apple Support said it was a known issue, but they never did anything about it so I switched hosts. I don't know if it's still a problem or not.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 09:27 AM

Tell developers to STOP using StuffIt to distribute their wares. We live in a world of compressed dmgs and zips now. StuffIt should have died when we transitioned to OS X. But old habits die hard I guess.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules