Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help with System log entry

Help with System log entry
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 11:57 AM

No one is answering in the Apps forum, and I'm not sure this belongs there. I need help understanding what the entry in my system log below means. I'm running 10.4.2 on my 1.5 Al Powerbook. Pages is 1.0.2. The following is repeated about 10 times in my log. Anybody know what the implications are on my system at large? Is there something I can do to correct it, or do I have to wait on Apple to fix it?

Thanks for your help,
Keith

Oct 14 10:43:47 Keiths-PowerBook /Applications/iWork/Pages.app/Contents/MacOS/Pages: The function CGSCreateDictionary is obsolete and will be removed in a Tiger update. Unfortunately, this app, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

asdasd
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 03:38 PM

It is benign - just a log from the owners of a API to get the developers from using an obsolete api which may or may not be any real cause of "system performance degradation" but if it is

a) it only affects the actual application Pages and not the system in general
b) The effect of this call will have no significant effect on OSX compared to everthing else going on in the system
c) the pages guys will have to update before the 10.4 update which will remove this call.

Everybody will see this if they run the application. It is a warning to the developer, not you.

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

Excellent. Thanks very much for info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules