Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How well does the C2D MBPs handle RTE?

How well does the C2D MBPs handle RTE?
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 03:28 PM

*although this topic involves software, I'm asking about how it runs specifically on this boards systems*

Keep in mind I'd be moving from using Final Cut Express on a 1.25/1GB G4 Mac Mini, so anything new would be an improvement.

I would like to know how well the new systems handle video rendering. I'm not doing any profesional work, but I was all excited when Steve demo'd real time previews and such a few years ago. Having never been able to see this happen with my present system, due to it's lack of power, I really would like to get a system that can handle it.

I'm curious to know how the new system do with the Final Cut Express Suite. I've read a bit on here about how the graphics on the first Gen MBPs were derated. What, if any effect does/did that have on video rendering?
iGeek

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 04:19 PM

I image that they would work better than any other Mac Portable.

brother337
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mac-at-kearsarge View Post
*although this topic involves software, I'm asking about how it runs specifically on this boards systems*

Keep in mind I'd be moving from using Final Cut Express on a 1.25/1GB G4 Mac Mini, so anything new would be an improvement.

I would like to know how well the new systems handle video rendering. I'm not doing any profesional work, but I was all excited when Steve demo'd real time previews and such a few years ago. Having never been able to see this happen with my present system, due to it's lack of power, I really would like to get a system that can handle it.

I'm curious to know how the new system do with the Final Cut Express Suite. I've read a bit on here about how the graphics on the first Gen MBPs were derated. What, if any effect does/did that have on video rendering?
Just to clarify, what do you mean by the graphics on the first Gen MBPs being "derated"? Are you referring to how the graphics chip was clocked down? First of all, the graphics chip in the new C2D MBPs are clocked higher now (not full clocked, but definitely higher than the first gen machines.) Secondly, and most importantly, the graphics chip has very little effect on Final Cut performance. Motion and Apeture, yes. Final Cut, no.

Final Cut performance on the new MBP (or even the 1st gen MBP) is fantastic if you're using the Universal version. I'm also a non-professional video editor and I was still very happy with the amount of real-time effects and video rendering performance that I was getting out of my old Powerbook G4/1.5.

I don't edit DV so much anymore, and have been working in DVCProHD (720p24), and my MBP is still screamingly fast. On that note, DVCProHD worked just fine on my old Powerbook as well.

Also the dual core action wil have a significant effect on your real-time performance.

DV hasn't been much of a challenge for modern CPUs so as far as I'm concerned, we're talking about the difference between rendering video quickly and rendering video really quickly. Where I've really experienced the effects of the extra processing power of the intel chips has been in DVD (and also h.264) rendering which was painfully slow on the G4. It's still slow on my MBP, but much much much faster than my old Powerbook.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by brother337 View Post
Just to clarify, what do you mean by the graphics on the first Gen MBPs being "derated"? Are you referring to how the graphics chip was clocked down? First of all, the graphics chip in the new C2D MBPs are clocked higher now (not full clocked, but definitely higher than the first gen machines.) Secondly, and most importantly, the graphics chip has very little effect on Final Cut performance. Motion and Apeture, yes. Final Cut, no.

Final Cut performance on the new MBP (or even the 1st gen MBP) is fantastic if you're using the Universal version. I'm also a non-professional video editor and I was still very happy with the amount of real-time effects and video rendering performance that I was getting out of my old Powerbook G4/1.5.

I don't edit DV so much anymore, and have been working in DVCProHD (720p24), and my MBP is still screamingly fast. On that note, DVCProHD worked just fine on my old Powerbook as well.

Also the dual core action wil have a significant effect on your real-time performance.

DV hasn't been much of a challenge for modern CPUs so as far as I'm concerned, we're talking about the difference between rendering video quickly and rendering video really quickly. Where I've really experienced the effects of the extra processing power of the intel chips has been in DVD (and also h.264) rendering which was painfully slow on the G4. It's still slow on my MBP, but much much much faster than my old Powerbook.
Awesome, thats just the answer I was hoping for.

Yes, I was refering to the underclocking of the GPU when I said "derated".

Alhtough I doubt I'll be using Motion or Apeture anytime soon, I'm planning on picking up a Mac Pro in Late Winter/Early spring so if I ever do rogresses into those programs I can run them on those.

This also thows the possibity of getting a standard MacBook instead of a Pro.

Thank you for your detailed reply.
iGeek

brother337
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 01:52 AM

Yah...

Yah, a Mac Pro would be pretty sweet...
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules