Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Courtney Love is a filthy whore.

Courtney Love is a filthy whore.
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 08:49 PM

As of November 4th, you�ll be able to purchase Kurt Cobain�s personal journals. It was bad enough that Courtney love denied the release of a Nirvana box set because she would rather cash in on a cheap �greatest hits� record, but now she�s hocking Kurt�s innermost feeling so she can buy another Versace dress.

Are there any Nirvana fans here?

How do you guys feel about Kurt�s Journals being released?

I feel kind of hypocritical. I resent the fact that Courtney is selling out EVERYTHING related to Kurt and Nirvana, but I�m still going to buy the book.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 08:50 PM

She's a whore. Most definately.

No plans on buying it.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 08:56 PM

It actually wasn't her who got the journals to begin with, it was a family friend but she did agree to let them be sold. I read some excerpts in Newsweek and they are disturbing. I shall stay away.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by DKeithA:
I feel kind of hypocritical. I resent the fact that Courtney is selling out EVERYTHING related to Kurt and Nirvana, but I�m still going to buy the book.
So you pay for whores?

ps: Nirvana were crap.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 09:04 PM

I stopped liking Nirvana as soon as the guy shot his brains out.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 09:08 PM

Yeah, he's dead, so he doesn't care. Courtney Love is a smart, rich filthy whore, and you're jealous.

Nirvana was okay, but you know, I listened to Nevermind for the first time in a couple years the other day, and it's really mixed quite poorly.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 09:13 PM

i always thought nirvana were one of the most over-rated bands of all time. cobain was a jerk, courtney is a jerk...a match made in....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2002, 09:18 PM

For all of Courtney's faults, she's still alive and supporting her child.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

ps: Nirvana were crap.
To make a long post short: That is so true.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 09:33 PM

my favorite was when she was on and MTV post interviw of Madona at an MTV music award, and she started throghing **** up there and she got up there and fell of the stage, and layed there spead eagle for the cameras, viewing pleasure

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 10:01 PM

Well, I guess I should have expected these types of replies from you guys. Not quite in tune with art, are you? Little Art 101 theory for you all: Art is a broad spectrum of expression. Bet you think Jackson Pollock�s paintings are �crap� too. Like him and his music or not, he was one other the most ingenious artist of our time. Listening to 'Nevermind' won't let you in on that.

Immature doesn't even begin to describe you all.

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 10:02 PM

My favorite was when Kurt killed himself, the radio station near me had a "Nirvana Double Shot Weekend" and played 2 Nirvana songs in a row.

Courtney was hotter when she was on heroin.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 10:04 PM

Well, I guess I should have expected these types of replies from you guys. Not quite in tune with art, are you? Little Art 101 theory for you all: Art is a broad spectrum of expression. Bet you think Jackson Pollock�s paintings are �crap� too. Like him and his music or not, he was one other the most ingenious artist of our time. Listening to 'Nevermind' won't let you in on that.

Oh my. Well aren't you a holier than thou Cobain humper? Everyone is allowed an opinion. Just because they dont match yours, doesnt mean they are wrong.

You are the immature one, jackass.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 10:11 PM

ingenious? ha, that's a laugh.

Cipher13
Oct 25, 2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by putamare:
Ouch. Nice call

Nirvana had a few great songs, a nice mood to some of their music, and Dave Grohl. That's all they had going for them, really.

Nirvana were good - but unbelievably overrated. Their music simply wasn't the best out there.

The only reason they're good is cause Kurt killed himself. I have no respect for Kurt Cobain, and despise the Cobain apologists.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 10:21 PM

wow...trashing nirvana.

faceache,

what the hell did they do to you? i never thought they were very much in your face so why are you trashing on them? were they the best? no...but they tried to do something different in a time where crappy music ruled.

i was a teenager when they came out and i have to say i think they represent a bit of my past and helped influence my music tastes to this day.

i think it's mean and quie distasteful for you to to say they were crap. i mean, a true music fan with respect for the artist can definately voice their opinion but i don't think "nirvana is crap" cuts it.

i'm a little older now and when i see a britney spears video or a eminem song, i dont say they are crap because i realize today's youth is quite enamored by it. I would never trash on bygone music either. Beatles, rolling stones, motley crue, elvis...i may not be a fan but they deserve respect.

furthermore, i am a guitar player and often play some open mic things. i'm not great and some people i see are not that great but i always have respect for somebody who is willing to perform. to get up on a stage and bare your soul is something that takes a lot of guts.

so faceache...so what do you consider "great music"? What's your favorite album? Who do you consider a "non-crap"?
snappy

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 10:29 PM

I never enjoyed a Nirvana album all the way through, but they definitely made some great songs.

For that matter, so has Courtney.

Hillary B. Rosen, CEO of the RIAA....now there's a filthy whore.

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
i'm a little older now and when i see a britney spears video or a eminem song, i dont say they are crap because i realize today's youth is quite enamored by it. I would never trash on bygone music either. Beatles, rolling stones, motley crue, elvis...i may not be a fan but they deserve respect.

furthermore, i am a guitar player and often play some open mic things. i'm not great and some people i see are not that great but i always have respect for somebody who is willing to perform. to get up on a stage and bare your soul is something that takes a lot of guts.
well....i agree with some of your points. i am not a fan of the beatles, stones, elvis etc but i certainly *do* have respect for their musical accomplishments. i certainly would not say the same for brittany spears though - the music just seems to be a secondary by-product of the the "package" - she seems more interested in how she looks and dances than the quality of the songwriting and lyrics.

and yeah, i know how tough it is to get up in front of people and play - i've done it myself more than a couple times. but again, that does not raise my respect for cobain either....when your strung out on heroin and numbed half to death....well, there's not much to repect there. and to get right down to the essence of it - his songs were just not that good....mundane riffs and trivial lyrics....nothing that hasn't been done a million times already. if he hadn't have died nirvana would have nowhere near the "legend" they seem to have.

foo fighters are better though...dave grohl is great in their video's....he should get into films....he's funnier to watch than adam sandler, thats for sure.

and i've been meaning to check out "eyes adrift" - krist novoselic's new band with curt "meat puppet" kirkwood (always loved the meat puppets.....)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by mrtaber:

Hillary B. Rosen, CEO of the RIAA....now there's a filthy whore.

Mark
Amen. I actually gained quite a bit of respect for Courtney love after reading this.

She's not exactly stupid. Killing yourself when you have a small child is stupid.

Jackson Pollack was another overrated drunk. Rothko put a lot more thought into his work.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 11:03 PM

wow...trashing nirvana.

faceache,

what the hell did they do to you? i never thought they were very much in your face so why are you trashing on them? were they the best? no...but they tried to do something different in a time where crappy music ruled.

i was a teenager when they came out and i have to say i think they represent a bit of my past and helped influence my music tastes to this day.

i think it's mean and quie distasteful for you to to say they were crap. i mean, a true music fan with respect for the artist can definately voice their opinion but i don't think "nirvana is crap" cuts it.

so faceache...so what do you consider "great music"? What's your favorite album? Who do you consider a "non-crap"?
Actually I was mainly offended by the topic starter calling a woman he doesn't know a "filthy whore", so I thought I'd take a little wind out of his sails by attacking a band he obviously holds dear.

But Nirvana were still crap.

Perhaps it's because I was already in my mid-twenties by the time they showed up but I fail to get the whole Nirvana deal. I also don't get the Pearl Jam thing. They are all imitating other bands. If you were a teenybopper when these bands came out you are excused. Hell when I was a kid I liked KISS. (Now THAT'S crap!).

Britney Spears is crap.

Jackson Pollock was crap. I can churn that stuff out too (Try me). Blue Poles? Ha!

Eminem is actually quite clever IMHO.

Some bands stand the test of time (Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc). Nirvana were one-hit wonders who are only revered by people who were teenagers at the time.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

Amen. I actually gained quite a bit of respect for Courtney love after reading this.

She's not exactly stupid. Killing yourself when you have a small child is stupid.

Jackson Pollack was another overrated drunk. Rothko put a lot more thought into his work.

CV
i remember that article....it is actually well written...however....the music business *does* make itself a pretty easy target with all their ripping off of artists. that's one of the really good things the internet has done - it's made it a lot easier for someone to go the d.i.y. route and bypass the big company bullsh...

(and the sire the article is on - cdbaby. unsolicited plug here...they're a great place to get indie music from...i've bought through them a few times....really fast service, decent prices...)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 11:07 PM

nirvana did NOTHING new.

kurt wrote a couple catchy tunes. thats all. nothing "ingenious" there.

jackson pollock? what the **** does he have to do with any of this?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 11:21 PM

So you lower your standards to fit into the mainstream?

So David Cassidy (Partridge Family) deserves respect for his musicianship?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2002, 11:21 PM

We have a winner. She's a whore bag, but hey ... Puta's got it right, I think.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
We have a winner. She's a whore bag, but hey ... Puta's got it right, I think.
perhaps...but with a father like cobain, and mother as flakey as courtney...well, she'd better be setting some major $$ aside for the psychologists.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 11:52 PM

Are there any Nirvana fans here?

How do you guys feel about Kurt�s Journals being released?

I'm sorry that you have so much hatred for Cobain's ex-wife. I'm happy that his journals will be available; I probably won't read them, but I don't hate Love for releasing what is rightfully hers to release; the whole "sellout" thing has been played to death already.

hayesk
Oct 26, 2002, 12:02 AM

i'm a little older now and when i see a britney spears video or a eminem song, i dont say they are crap because i realize today's youth is quite enamored by it.
I would put Nirvana above Britney and Eminem, and yes, I think I have every right to say they were overrated, but I agree, I wouldn't call it crap. Eminem is just bottling controversial lyrics, I fail to see the talent.

Britney's stuff is crap. What she "performs" is a musical-like product. Her voice is processed, her dancing is carefully choreographed, and her videos use sex to sell. There's no musical talent at all.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2002, 12:21 AM

I have no opinion about Courtney or the journals. But I do have an opinion about Nirvana. Nirvana's music wasn't amazing. Their music was rather simple. Admitted by the band themselves many times. What was so special about Nirvana was timing. They came to the forefront when mainstream music was much like it is today: boring, cookie-cutter bubble gum pop. Yes there were bands out there like Nirvana, but they were all underground, and not making any sort of influence on the musical masses. Nirvana came on the scene with something that 90% of people never heard before. Most scoffed it off as noise, but others heard something new and defiant. Cobain wasn't putting on a show, his music was honest.

I can easily see why people would say that Nirvana "sucks" or that they are "crap" or what have you, but there is much more to Nirvana than the music. It's the impact they made on music in general. You ask just about any rock band that came after Nirvana, and it's a pretty safe bet that Nirvana is one of their influences. They made an impact on music, art, and millions of people's lives. A positive impact. That is nothing to brush off as "crap", in my opinion.

Personally, I am a fan of their music. They came around at just the right time in my life. They made a big impact on me. I respect what they did, and was very sorry to see Cobain do what he did to himself. But I do not judge their importance to music by the very personal actions of the members of the band.

(This opinion has been brought to you by me, and only me. Nothing said here is directed at anyone in particular. Thank you.)

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

So you lower your standards to fit into the mainstream?

So David Cassidy (Partridge Family) deserves respect for his musicianship?

it doesn't bother me. so why should i say it's crap?!

go out of my way to make fun of somebody's music just to make myself look smart. i am not a britney spears fan. i was not born in the 80s and 90s and i have accepted that they see and hear something that i do not.

no way am i going to act like a old geezer and yell "get off my lawn!" if i dont understand it...i'm not going to talk ill of it. i was a youthful lad once too and know what it felt like to have old people look down on me because i was into my music.

and to directly respond to your quote, faceache...

Yes i do. i am not particularly sure i could pick out any of his songs but as i understand it he was a one-man boyband in the 70s. I am sure he has plenty of fans who find pleasure listening to him. why should i go out of my way to say "he sucks" when i obviously have no knowledge in him

i extend my respect in general for other human beings to musicians as well. just as i didn't outright flame you, i tried to write a few paragraphs explaining why i enjoy Nirvana's music.

and to add to the nirvana is not crap list: although their music was not new, it brought back something that was missing in rock. i remember hearing teenspirit right after a george michael song back in like 92' or so
snappy

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::

Personally, I am a fan of their music. They came around at just the right time in my life. They made a big impact on me. I respect what they did, and was very sorry to see Cobain do what he did to himself. But I do not judge their importance to music by the very personal actions of the members of the band.
i think this man has summed it up quite nicely. he posted right before i did and said it much better.

it just stings me to hear someone say "nirvana is crap"....he threw it out there for no reason whatsoever too. i wonder what faceache's favorite band is. just out of curiosity.
( Last edited by Mark Tungston; Oct 26, 2002 at 01:29 AM. )
snappy

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 12:58 AM

By definition, there can be no "crap" artists, as long as they are true artists.. Britney Spears is not a true artist. She doesn't write her own music, so she is just a performer. There is a huge difference. Performers can suck ass. But an artist can never suck even if they suck at performing, because art is about expression (your feelings, your thoughts) and putting those things into a medium that can be reached by other people. Music, painting, writing etc.

Nirvana wrote their own music, and Kurt was a brilliant and troubled man. I don't have sympathy for a person who commits suicide, but I do respect the fact that he lived a shitty life, was addicted to drugs and was overwhelmed by the sheer mania that develops around you when you are a rockstar. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison....all these people basically comitted suicide because of their lifestyles. Do you hold that against them, and judge them by it? Tell me Jimi Hendrix is crap.. I dare you.

A musician who writes his own tunes might never live up to the Beatles or, to an even greater extent, classical composers like Mozart, but that doesn't mean they suck. They just aren't as good. Would you go to a university art class and tell everyone that all their work sucks because it won't see the inside of the Louvre? I don't think so.

Furthermore, Nirvana hit it big because the media sensationalized the "grunge" scene. To this day, I still hate the word "grunge". Nirvana, Pearl Jam, even Soundgarden would never call themselves "grunge", It's just a label. But thats beside the point. I don't think Nirvana would have stayed around. Part of me believes that (just like in the Pearl Jam song "Immortality") Kurt Cobain might have taken his own life so that he would be remembered forever. He immortalized himself.

I don't really respect Courtney Love because she had a huge fight with the remaining members of Nirvana over the rights to some songs and things like that. Dave Grohl and Krist Novacelek deserved the rights to the music, not the junkie lead singer's bitch wife. Publishing his diaries? Get ****ed. I will never buy that.

I want to sort of derail this thread by asking: what are you opinions of the band Pearl Jam? They have a new album coming out called "Riot Act"(their 7th) and I've heard it. It's a strong album from a band who really knows who they are, and where they came from.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
I want to sort of derail this thread by asking: what are you opinions of the band Pearl Jam? They have a new album coming out called "Riot Act"(their 7th) and I've heard it. It's a strong album from a band who really knows who they are, and where they came from.
they made a decent backing band for neil young, but as for their own material i can live without it. i don't find it offers me anything i have not heard before and i just plain don't like his voice. i certainly don't diss anyone else for liking them though...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2002, 01:19 AM

Tell me Jimi Hendrix is crap.. I dare you.
i won't go as far as saying he's crap - he was a truly great guitarist. however, i was never really a fan of both his singing and his songwriting. every song was stuck at the same tempo, very little variation. that mid-tempo bluesy stuff may be great for someone to solo endlessly around, but it gets tired pretty quickly. as for his writing, well he certainly did come up with some classic chord progressions that still get quoted and ripped off by so many others today, but again, always in a very narrow tempo/range. as always....just my opinion....

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:21 AM

Thats the beauty of music. Everyone takes away from it different things. I've gotten a lot, and I mean a lot, of strength from Pearl Jam's music, but I can see how lots of people could live without it. It's always been an extremely personal thing for me. I love Eddie Vedders voice.. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but it really gets to me. Everytime I hear "I'm Open" from No Code, my face goes numb. It seriously evokes a physical reaction from me. His voice and Mike McCready's guitar have brought me to tears. Pure emotion.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2002, 01:25 AM

By definition, there can be no "crap" artists, as long as they are true artists.. Britney Spears is not a true artist. She doesn't write her own music, so she is just a performer. There is a huge difference. Performers can suck ass. But an artist can never suck even if they suck at performing, because art is about expression (your feelings, your thoughts) and putting those things into a medium that can be reached by other people. Music, painting, writing etc.

Nirvana wrote their own music, and Kurt was a brilliant and troubled man. (snip)
the first paragraph, very very true....we can all have opinions of whether it moves us as individuals in any way but that doesn't make someone "not an artist."

kurt - troubled, yes but brilliant, no...that's going overboard...an average garage-dude that got a bit lucky and was too stupid (or drugged out) to see it.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
they made a decent backing band for neil young, but as for their own material i can live without it. i don't find it offers me anything i have not heard before and i just plain don't like his voice. i certainly don't diss anyone else for liking them though...
i agree with blur. i like nirvana a lot but not ANY of the other ones from the same time.

i think they have skills, but it's not really for me. i too don't like his voice too much. i think their lead guitarist is very good though.

i like grohl though. i think he evolved nicely.
snappy

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:32 AM

I don't normally do this, but can I give you guys some advice on Pearl Jam? Or should I say, can I ask you to do something for me? Check out some whole albums, not just singles, and listen to the music a few times or more. Pearl Jam has the ability to grow on you. Get Vs. and Yield and maybe No Code. Not saying it will work, but you gotta spread the Jam

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:37 AM

maybe.

list me some more of your favorite bands so i can get a reference to what you feel is "good music"
snappy

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 02:04 AM

Pearl Jam
The Beatles
The Who
Pink Floyd
TOOL
Queens of the Stone Age
Brad
old RATM
Foo Fighters
old Smashing Pumpkins
Snoop Dogg
Jurassic 5
Jimi
Bob Dylan
Led Zepellin
Cat Stevens
Miles Davis
Dave Brubeck

dude, the list goes on and on

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2002, 11:44 AM

i think they have skills, but it's not really for me. i too don't like his voice too much. i think their lead guitarist is very good though.

i like grohl though. i think he evolved nicely.
I agree. The thing with Pearl Jam IMHO is that you can tell the lead singer was in a cover band at some time and is using someone else's voice (who's name escapes me at the moment), so they end up sounding like a cover band. And now the guy from Creed (I think it's Creed) is using the same voice. They're cloning them.

Now see, I quite like the Foo Fighters. I think they've got some good material/talent so we can agree on something there. Dave Grohl has turned out to be more talented than Cobain was.

I still think Nirvana were crap. And depressing.

I can't really answer your question of what bands I like because I like most music (that isn't crap ). I suppose everything from Glen Miller to Green Day. I like rock, pop, dance, trance, techno, punk, jazz, swing, folk, heavy metal, thrash metal, classical, reggae, country (AND western ).

But I draw the line at polka and Tom Waits (sorry Max baby - he makes my ears hurt). But see I don't think polka or Tom Waits are crap.

But I still think Nirvana were crap.*

What'chu gonna do about it?

* That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it as long as it's not based on ignorance (and it's not. I actually know quite a bit about Nirvana and what Cobain himself thought of their records, which was largely "they were crap").

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 26, 2002, 01:07 PM

Yeah she's a great mom, oneof my best friends partied with her and Drew Barrymore once, Courtney was smoking heroin while the kid was off somewhere playing with one of her lighters acting like mommy.

She should get the mother of the year award.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:10 PM

Queens of the Stone Age
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol

Goo-goo-goo-goo-goo-goo-GOOOOO

Lerkfish
Oct 26, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I have no opinion about Courtney or the journals. But I do have an opinion about Nirvana. Nirvana's music wasn't amazing. Their music was rather simple. Admitted by the band themselves many times. What was so special about Nirvana was timing. They came to the forefront when mainstream music was much like it is today: boring, cookie-cutter bubble gum pop. Yes there were bands out there like Nirvana, but they were all underground, and not making any sort of influence on the musical masses. Nirvana came on the scene with something that 90% of people never heard before. Most scoffed it off as noise, but others heard something new and defiant. Cobain wasn't putting on a show, his music was honest.

I can easily see why people would say that Nirvana "sucks" or that they are "crap" or what have you, but there is much more to Nirvana than the music. It's the impact they made on music in general. You ask just about any rock band that came after Nirvana, and it's a pretty safe bet that Nirvana is one of their influences. They made an impact on music, art, and millions of people's lives. A positive impact. That is nothing to brush off as "crap", in my opinion.

(This opinion has been brought to you by me, and only me. Nothing said here is directed at anyone in particular. Thank you.)
wow. that's a righteous well-thought out post. it echoes what I was going to say (about timing) but much more eloquently. I was going to compare Nirvana to Blondie. Both bands broke up the stilted mass-produced crap that was on at the time, though in retrospect their music skills dont hold up as well over time...but they were both INFLUENTIAL in unclogging the record company exec's arteries, which have an amazing tendency to accumulate plaque.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 01:44 PM

faceache,

thanks for listing your likes and dislikes. i like other people have a more narrow playlist more geared towards something more specific.

you're obviously acting a bit childish and perhaps trying to be outrageous. but i can calmly resume my daily activities knowing that you're happily listening to your trance/country western/reggae tunes (non-crap according to yourself) and etc while i go about my business listening to my own musical favorites

enjoy...and cheers.

p.s. i hear garth brooks is coming out with a new album (where he sings s a duet with celine dion), you might want to check that out. Also i read trance star DJ Darren Anderson throws great raves, you may want to check that out too.
snappy

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2002, 03:00 PM

Excuse me? Is this the room for an argument?
you're obviously acting a bit childish and perhaps trying to be outrageous.
Exactly! Rather than having a pointless argument I saved myself a lot of reply-typing by writing a sillier response instead of posting my original erm, thoughts. I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the cheese. I usually get around to the cheese.

And I still think Nirvana were crap.

You can't win an argument with me.

I'm crazy. :o

Nevertheless I look forward to further attempts at condescension.

We round the Cape tomorrow! (for it is 3AM here).

Kind regards,

Admiral Face Ache.

ps: Garth Brooks is crap too.

Is that you Mary?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2002, 03:19 PM

Oh, and Nirvana still sucks like hell.

I spent one winter listening to ALL their albums over and over and OVER AND OVER again and I reached that conclusion after that time.

Before you assume that I was volunteeringly listening to Nirvana, that was not quite the case. Rather it was all thanks too may overzelous nirvana fan that shared the room with me at the dorm.

I cringe every time I hear Nirvana. Oh, how I loath them.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 11:46 AM

sorry for digging this discussion up again, i missed it last time.
I was never a huge fan of Nirvana, I liked their music but it was all a bit whiney and angsty for my tastes. However, I have great respect for their music, not only for the generations they inspired but also for the music they opened my eyes to. If I had never heard Nirvana I would never have known that Kurt Cobain was heavily influenced by lesser known Boston band, The Pixies. In an interview after Smells Like Teen Spirit made it big, Kurt said he was trying to write the greatest pop song ever, that he was basically trying to rip-off the pixies. The pixies had 4 albums in four years and never made it big in the states, they had a cult following over here in the UK but their influence can be seen in pretty much every modern rock band. The Pixies, for me hold the no1 slot in my top three artists of all time, closley followed by David Bowie and Neil Young. Dave Grohl a better songwriter than Kurt Cobain? Not a chance, a better musician? Hell yes, but I wish he'd stuck with the Queen's of The Stone Age, he's a better drummer than songwriter.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 02:07 PM

maybe.

list me some more of your favorite bands so i can get a reference to what you feel is "good music"
Here is a smattering of artists from my 200+ CD collection.

Dave Brubeck Quartet**
Miles Davis
The Farm
Stan Getz**
Indigo Girls**
David Gray**
Kieth Jarrett**
Michael McDermott
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Charlie Parker
Pearl Jam
REM
Rush
The The
U2**

** denotes artist who has made an album that is on my desert island list--you know, the 5 or 10 CD's you absolutely could not live without.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2002, 02:23 PM

I saw Nirvana Unplugged and I was amazed: Kurt COULD sing and it actually sounded good. Too bad they went back to the amplifiers.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 02:34 PM

I am so not making this up, but did you hear about Courtney Love's dog? Apparently when she had her implants removed she kept them around. Well, last week her dog got hold of one and swallowed it and...well...died.

'Damn shame what they did to that dog.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules