Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keychain Backup without .mac

Keychain Backup without .mac
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 10:36 AM

I am giving up on .mac and letting my subscription expire. I really only used it to sync my data in case of emergency. I've done a search, but cannot find a definitive answer on what is the easiest or most effective way to backup one's Keychain.

I'm just backing up my data onto my external HD. If I were to erase and install, what is the best way to get my keychain back to the way it is normally? Is there a way of just dragging and dropping keychain db file(s) to perform a backup?

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 04:14 PM

Pretty please with sugar on top?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 04:21 PM

Your keychain is in

<yourhome>/Library/Keychains

and either called "login.keychain" or "<yourname>".

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 09:19 PM

Just back up everything in ~/Library/Keychains

~ is the shortcut for your home directory.

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 10:38 AM

thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 12:16 PM

Yep, just backup all the keychains in that directory and then replace them when you get a new system. Fairly easy and works like a charm.

krove
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 11:37 PM

You can really just replace the file on the new mac without ill effect? Do the logins have to be the same?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by krove
You can really just replace the file on the new mac without ill effect? Do the logins have to be the same?
You can have lots of keychains in there, with varying names. The correct keychains will be unlocked (after asking for your password) if a password they contain is needed.

The one that's special is the login keychain. In 10.3 and earlier, it would have the same name as your user's UNIX "short name." In 10.4, this can also be the case (especially for migrations), but I believe the default login keychain is now called "login." I can't confirm for 100% sure... never set up a "clean" system with 10.4... always used migration assistant which automatically takes care of all this kinda stuff.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 08:13 AM

Read Apple's help information on "How to back up and restore your important Mac OS X 10.4 files". It also includes info on backing up Safari bookmarks, Address Book contacts, iCal calendars, and Mail preferences and messages.
Agent69

Forum Links
Forum Rules