Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > stupid essays anyone?

stupid essays anyone?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

finish your drink of water before reading this to avoid spitting liquid all over your shiney new or dusty old monitors.

http://stupidessays.googlepages.com/
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 03:11 PM

The one about atoms cracked me up.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 03:50 PM

I wish I had saved some of the papers I wrote in high school. I really went out of my way to stir up s***.

One I remember in particular (which got me in a lot of trouble) was the journal I kept as a student teacher. I did it in Flowers for Algernon/Clockwork Orange style and documented my decent into madness as the teacher I was assigned to assist reprogrammed my brain to turn me into her killing machine.

Had a good time talking to the school counselor about that one. True story.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 04:03 PM

These sound bogus to me. Too much like a copy writer trying to create outlandish essays. If the students were that uneducated, I think there would be a lot more grammatical errors.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
These sound bogus to me. Too much like a copy writer trying to create outlandish essays. If the students were that uneducated, I think there would be a lot more grammatical errors.
Could be, or it could be just some smart kid trying to stir up shyte. It's always hard to know what some students are thinking.

I still remember a classmate of mine who had a 90 average in several classes, so she didn't bother showing up for any of the final exams for those classes, since they were "only" worth 25%. Her logic: 90%x0.75 = 68%, so she had already passed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 04:26 PM

When the MCAS testing was being 'tested' during H.S. I know many people (myself included) that did poorly on purpose in the essay section. A few of my friends wrote about the then recent Bret Hart death. I don't really remember what I wrote, something along the lines of why I was to tired to take a worthless test.

The next year the testing was mandatory in order to graduate H.S in MA.

I find it silly to judge a tests effectiveness on students who don't benefit from doing well on it. Am I wrong?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
When the MCAS testing was being 'tested' during H.S. I know many people (myself included) that did poorly on purpose in the essay section. A few of my friends wrote about the then recent Bret Hart death. I don't really remember what I wrote, something along the lines of why I was to tired to take a worthless test.

I find it silly to judge a tests effectiveness on students who don't benefit from doing well on it. Am I wrong?
If you were responding to my last post, it made a big difference for my classmate, because she graduated with crappy grades (even though she passed).

It did screw up stuff for her later too, since she eventually decided to go to university, but had to do classes at a local university first to up her grades before going on to a better one.

I still don't understand that decision of hers. Even if she had not bothered studying and only gotten 50% on those final exams, that would have given her an 80% average, as opposed to a 68% average.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 06:10 PM

A few of my friends wrote about the then recent Bret Hart death.
Do you mean Owen Hart?

I remember a bright friend of mine wrote a story for creative writing class that involved a chain reaction of people vomiting during a town hall meeting in a small rural community. I think even the cows threw up somewhere towards the end. My teacher actually gave him an A because the story was creative and well-written, even if it was ridiculous.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2007, 06:25 AM

They’re supposed to be intentionally that stupid; but I seriously doubt that anyone would write such nonsense for five years in a row—and more importantly, never have his writing style develop or change in any way over these five years. Judging by the names of the classes, they look like they’re supposed to be high school essays; and as far as I’m aware, few people do five years of high school (no?). At least, anyone who spells so relatively well and uses such relatively good grammar as this guy should be able to graduate high school in normal time, without having to retake classes. Still, the most important factor, to me, is that his writing style never changes; if you look at real people’s essays from age 15 and age 20, you’ll see a remarkable difference in writing style, but apparently not so here.

So yes, they’re without a doubt fake.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 06:09 PM

The last few actually seem like college papers while the first ones are definitely high school papers. Notice how he wrote Professor, and of course the class name is more like a college class name. Also most kids don't take organic chemistry in high school.

Alsoooo, a buddy sent me a link of these essays back when I was in high school. They were different essays but same guy, Peter Nguyen.

In conclusion, I think they're real, but it's obvious he writes this stuff just to stir things up/brag to his buddies about the stupid things he can get away with (or not).

berryshort569
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2008, 03:04 PM

My friend printed this out and brought it to school and the whole class read then my friend read it aloud and the teacher and student teacher were both laughing SOO hard they were crying! it was funny! i love this kid!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 03:21 PM

I see dumb people.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 03:26 PM

besson?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 04:36 PM

Obviously fake.

-t

Rumor
Mar 24, 2008, 03:06 AM

I did the same thing in Washington. I was the "test grade" or whatever. Most of us at my school purposefully bombed the test to make it easier for the next grade.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 04:45 AM

Um, guys:

I was TRYING to point out a zombie thread.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 01:47 PM

Oh wow, I think I may have attended the same university as Mr. Nguyen. I wasn't in the same course, but I know the course number and the professor's name; the Dr. Peterson I know is my favorite professor of all time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 03:11 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 03:13 AM

OMG. Dumbest spammer evar.

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2009, 04:41 AM

What did we miss?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 04:45 AM

What did we miss?
A dumb spammer, nothing else.

I should have quoted that bitch.

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2009, 09:22 AM

yah; way to go and ruin it for the rest of us.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 09:28 AM

fake. But amusing!

wait, this is like a million years old...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2009, 11:38 AM

The one on Pop Rocks got a B-? WTF?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 12:20 PM

I once used the essay portion of a test in high school to write an apologetic letter to my teacher, explaining that I hadn't studied adequately and didn't know the answer to the essay question, but that I'd learned my lesson and would study for the next test well enough to pass.

I got a 5/25 on the essay just for my efforts.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2009, 03:26 PM

They seem fake.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules