Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store Oakbrook opening...photo gallery now online!

Apple Store Oakbrook opening...photo gallery now online!
dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 11:29 PM

Some pictures I took tonight while attending the Apple Store opening at Oakbrook Mall, outside Chicago.

Enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/dpfenninger/PhotoAlbum4.html

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2002, 11:40 PM

I was there, though I don't think I got into your slide show. That might be me facing away from the camera in your Genius Bar shot.

I loved all the incredulous passersby asking what we are all standing around waiting for.

"The Apple Store is opening," someone would say.

"That's it?!"

I wanted to say it's the sort of thing where if you have to ask, you'll never understand.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by dpfenninger:
Some pictures I took tonight while attending the Apple Store opening at Oakbrook Mall, outside Chicago.

Enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/dpfenninger/PhotoAlbum4.html
I HAD $7000 but I spent it all on my mac a year ago.

Man apple stores are so cool!

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the pictures!! I sooooo wanted to go but couldn't make it. Guess I'll wait for the Michigan Ave. store to open. I guess that's going to be a while since it looks like Apple is destroying the old building and starting from scratch. Maybe in a year or so...I hope.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
Thanks for the pictures!! I sooooo wanted to go but couldn't make it. Guess I'll wait for the Michigan Ave. store to open. I guess that's going to be a while since it looks like Apple is destroying the old building and starting from scratch. Maybe in a year or so...I hope.
But just think how much joy you'll have buying your PPC 970 PowerMac when the store is finally open.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

But just think how much joy you'll have buying your PPC 970 PowerMac when the store is finally open.
I better start saving now!! I'm using a PowerMac G4 400 right now. I can't wait to upgrade when i have the money. The CPU speeds are sooo much faster than what I'm used to it'll be like night and day when I finally can afford it. I'm sure OS X is much snappier on a 1.25 dual.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:

I better start saving now!! I'm using a PowerMac G4 400 right now. I can't wait to upgrade when i have the money. The CPU speeds are sooo much faster than what I'm used to it'll be like night and day when I finally can afford it. I'm sure OS X is much snappier on a 1.25 dual.
As the owner of a G4 350, I hear you. those 2x 1.25's at Oakbrook were schweet.

pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 03:54 PM

Great pictures. You must've been right near me in line. We were right near that stairway, close to where your pictures suggest you were. You managed to get everyone in my group but me in your pictures. My dad has the bright red IU hat on in line and my sister is the girl on the left on the eMacs (Kids section).

Here are my pictures. Let me know is any of you are in them.

http://homepage.mac.com/pkatt/PhotoAlbum15.html

Philip

P.S. Anyone know how many people were there? I lost count after like 350.

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by pkatt:
Great pictures. You must've been right near me in line. We were right near that stairway, close to where your pictures suggest you were. You managed to get everyone in my group but me in your pictures. My dad has the bright red IU hat on in line and my sister is the girl on the left on the eMacs (Kids section).

Here are my pictures. Let me know is any of you are in them.

http://homepage.mac.com/pkatt/PhotoAlbum15.html

Philip

P.S. Anyone know how many people were there? I lost count after like 350.
Hi Philip...don't feel bad about not making it into any of my pictures...I didn't make it into any of yours, so we're even.

As for people in line, I chatted with the mall security officer when I got to the front of the line. He said there were about 1500 in line about half hour before opening...wow!

I felt bad being there actually. I intended on buying something (maybe a printer, or even an iPod) but accidentally left my wallet at home. I'll have to go back.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 04:58 PM

I don't know whether to save $10,000 for a new G4 and Cinema HD display (fully loaded with accessories too) or a car.

pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2002, 11:45 AM

I never would've guessed 1500. I know Nordstroms is pretty far from the store, but I wouldn't have thought it was far enough to hold 1500 people.

Sorry I didn't get you in any of my pictures. I took a lot more, but I had the flash off and they didn't come out at all.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 02:38 AM

I'm glad they finally opened one in my backyard, now I don't have to haul ass to Woodfield..

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 03:14 AM

I didn't make it to Oakbrook, but I was at the Woodfield store again to enter for that free iMac! Store was busy at 9:00. I can't wait for the Michigan Ave. Mecca

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 05:15 AM

Oakbrook Mall? Dude, havn't been there for quite a while, totally missed this grand opening... Gotta check that out as soon as possible.

PS: Nice pictures however lots of people-waiting-in-very-long-line pictures

@RGB: There's an Apple store opening in Michgan Ave? Where, when? Boy I havn't been there for almost a year now...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2002, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by pkatt:
I never would've guessed 1500. I know Nordstroms is pretty far from the store, but I wouldn't have thought it was far enough to hold 1500 people.
Didn't look like 1500 to me. Maybe 3 or 400 at most. Still pretty good considering everyone had to stand outside freezing their asses off. I asked the security guide if store openings like this were common at Oakbrook, and he said no, "This is pretty unique."

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 12:33 PM

cool. I live in clarendon hills a couple miles south of the mall and actually worked at the ritz camera in that mall for several years. Nice to know there are people in the area!

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 06:35 PM

Ahh cool cool, I always enjoy looking at pics of all the Mac goodness I wish I could afford.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Oakbrook Mall? Dude, havn't been there for quite a while, totally missed this grand opening... Gotta check that out as soon as possible.

PS: Nice pictures however lots of people-waiting-in-very-long-line pictures

@RGB: There's an Apple store opening in Michgan Ave? Where, when? Boy I havn't been there for almost a year now...
It's supposed to be where the old GAP was on Mich. Ave. I'm not sure when It's supposed to open though. They decided to level the original building and star over so who knows how long it'll be...but I'm hoping by next summer!

Deadline
Dec 2, 2002, 11:55 PM

Oakbrook! yay thats like.. right out my back door and when i go to the tech confrence in oakbrook i can bring my windoze friends and preech the new religion!

Forum Links
Forum Rules