Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Netgear MR814

Netgear MR814
pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 07:33 PM

I'm getting DSL in a few days, and I need a wireless router that is cheaper than Airport (299 is outrageous). Amazon has the Netgear MR814 for $49 after rebates. Is this a good router (anyone own one)? It comes with Mac directions, but they don't do any good if the router is crap to begin with.

Thanks.

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 12:09 PM

I was looking into buying this myself. Anybody?

Titom
Nov 30, 2002, 01:54 PM

I'm looking too.
How about the D-link 614?

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...389684,00.html

anyone using this model?

pkatt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 04:00 PM

Every review I've read only details the PC aspect of the router. I was looking at the Netgear because the manual has OS X instructions and because there is a $30 manufacturers rebate that can take the price down to $70 (depending on where you buy).

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Dec 2, 2002, 02:14 AM

So does anyone have exprience with Netgear wireless products in general? I want to buy one of these tomorrow because I am atracted to the ad blocking and atractive form factor.

sray
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2002, 03:03 PM

All Netgear wireless routers will work with Macs. There is no application for you to run on the computer. All Router configuration is done via a browser (hence, these routers can be oonfigured from any OS).

I have a Dell P3 + G4 plugged into the wired 10/100 ports (4 ports). The router connects to a Cable modem. I have a (old) IBM thinkpad running a netgear wireless card. Just ordered a iBook to replace the IBM and the airport card should pick up the signal from the netgear.

Netgear makes great products; I haven't had one hub/router go bad on me yet. I've had 3 Linksys hubs die in the last three years (although, their customer service promptly replaced them).

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
So does anyone have exprience with Netgear wireless products in general? I want to buy one of these tomorrow because I am atracted to the ad blocking and atractive form factor.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 12:40 AM

Ok I just got the Netgear MR814. MUCH better then then Linksys. My only complaint so far is that it makes a bit of a hiss sound.

nerd
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 04:30 PM

Does the MR814 have a external antenna port or can you unhook the external antenna and plug in another one?

Thanks

Brad

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by nerd:
Does the MR814 have a external antenna port or can you unhook the external antenna and plug in another one?

Thanks

Brad
You can remove the antenna and put a high powered one in it.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

nerd
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 03:11 AM

Sweet! Thanks

Brad

JNI
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 04:57 AM

Does anyone here know what the difference is between the MR814 and the MR314? They seem to have the same specs. It looks like one can get the MR814 for less money.

pkatt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 02:38 PM

Thanks guys. As soon as I find out if it's available at my home, I am going to order it and some airport cards.

Philip

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 11:54 PM

Where can one find the "high" powered external antenna mentioned above?
( Last edited by mdcarter1; Dec 10, 2002 at 12:18 AM. )

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2002, 10:02 PM

I'm assuming you can configure this router from a Mac? I have a PC but don't want to rely on it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2002, 10:46 PM

The Netgear page on the MR814 not only says that it supports Macs, but since it specifies certain versions of web browsers, it is practically guaranteed to be browser-configured.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 19, 2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I'm assuming you can configure this router from a Mac? I have a PC but don't want to rely on it.
It works perfectly on a Mac. you just configure it though any browser, I use Chimmera.

milf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2002, 02:18 PM

Where do you see the MR814 for $49 after rebates at? Amazon, I think, still has it at 70 after rebates.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by milf:
Where do you see the MR814 for $49 after rebates at? Amazon, I think, still has it at 70 after rebates.
I think the origianl poster misquoted the item. The PC CARD is $49 after rebates. I've never seen the MR814 under $99 anywhere.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2002, 07:31 PM

It was buy.com's price mistake of the day yesterday (the 18th) for $79.95 w/ a $30 rebate, didn't see this thread until now so the information isn't of much use, but at least you'll know not to bother looking at amazon for that price.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

pkatt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2002, 06:16 PM

Believe it or not, I DID see it at Amazon for $49. They had it for $99, minus a $30 manufacturers rebate and a $20 amazon rebate, making it $50. They removed that ofer though before I bought it! So I ended up paying $99 minus just the $30 manufacturers rebate.

I got the router and DSL, and am pleased to say I love them both. The DSL was a pain in the behind to get going (stupid SBC), but once up and running, it works great. I had some trouble with the router disconnecting last week, but It was due to a mistake I made, and not the routers fault.

I highly recommend this router to anyone in need of one and not willing to pay the extraneous price for the Apple one. It is a cinch to set up and works great.

devin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2002, 05:16 PM

After reading all the positive reviews about the Netgear MR814, I'm wondering whether there are similar positive experiences with the netgear wireless PC card MA401, and whether I can put one in a airport card slot in my ibook?

thanks
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." - the one and only, George W.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2003, 03:51 PM

I don't know about how well Netgear's card works, but you cannot plug any standard PC card into your AirPort card slot. Not only is the space for the card too small for a standard PC card, but though the AirPort card uses a PC card connector, it only uses a subset of the connection protocol-and not necessarily properly.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by JNI:
Does anyone here know what the difference is between the MR814 and the MR314? They seem to have the same specs. It looks like one can get the MR814 for less money.
The MR314 is the discontinued model. I bought the last one that any of the major catalog vendors had, because I like the blue metal case better than the silver plastic one. The only differences I can perceive is that the MR314's antenna does not appear to be removable, and the MR814 comes with extra software (dunno if any of it is for Macs).

Netgear has been ambiguous about their routers' AppleTalk support: they always say that the MR814 does not support it, and then sometimes say that the MR314 does, other times they say it doesn't.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
I don't know about how well Netgear's card works, but you cannot plug any standard PC card into your AirPort card slot. Not only is the space for the card too small for a standard PC card, but though the AirPort card uses a PC card connector, it only uses a subset of the connection protocol-and not necessarily properly.
Alas, that's not altogether true! There are some PC cards that will function in an Airport slot.

Physical fit of the PC card's antenna aside, you can put a Lucent WaveLAN/Agere Orinoco PC card into an Airport slot and it will work. (It is seen as an Airport card, since an Airport card is just a WaveLAN Silver card [with flash ROM] without the built-in antenna.)

Other PC cards will not work in the Airport slot.

These are the results of my experiments using a G4 tower (Gigabit ethernet).

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Physical fit of the PC card's antenna aside, you can put a Lucent WaveLAN/Agere Orinoco PC card into an Airport slot and it will work. (It is seen as an Airport card, since an Airport card is just a WaveLAN Silver card [with flash ROM] without the built-in antenna.)tooki
Of course this has to do with how Apple "customized" the AirPort slot-for their card's OEM, Lucent. Beware that trying other cards may damage them; one of the PC card protocols allows the host (the computer) to query the operating voltage the card needs, and then provide it. If a card doesn't use the same voltage as the Lucent card, the host may provide the wrong voltage. Smoke may result !

Except for the PowerBook's poor performance, the point of the internal AirPort card is to use the antenna in the machine's case instead of the tiny one built into most wireless cards. Alas, the PowerBook's case distorts the antenna's pattern such that it doesn't work as well as the iBook's antenna, though it is still better than the little dipole built into your basic wireless card.

The cost difference between a good card that works with MacOS and an AirPort card isn't all that much, and the software that comes with Apple's product is guaranteed to work both with the card and the computer, so I don't understand (except for scientific purposes, of course) all the interest in using other cards...

junobear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 12:17 AM

MR314 definitely supports AppleTalk, and that's something I need for my 4/600 LaserWriter. I've read the AppleTalk availability on many postings as well as here:

http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/routers/

though D-Links apparently does, too.

I've read no consensus re: AppleTalk for NetGear MR814. It would be easier and cheaper to do the MR814 than find a MR314, but I'm reluctant to experiment. And, NetGear's tech support for Mac requires you pay for their premium support. (!) When I called their regular tech support (which took a good 30 minutes waiting), they had no idea if it even supported Macs. (Even though the product link states otherwise...thanks GHPorter) Then, upon calling their sales/customer service dept, they couldn't tell me either. Soooo, I'm looking at the more expensive but well documented SMC AWR7004. It does what I'm looking for.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 12:11 PM

Oooo Darn!

I wish this thread was here a month ago when I decided on the Linksys BEFW11S4. Well at least they will replace it if it goes down. I got it from Best Buy for $69 before Christmas. Has worked good so far, but I would like to replace the external antennas. Where can I find new ones? The so aforementioned "high" powered ones?

-ChadC
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
MR314 definitely supports AppleTalk, and that's something I need for my 4/600 LaserWriter. I've read the AppleTalk availability on many postings as well as here:

http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/routers/

though D-Links apparently does, too.

I've read no consensus re: AppleTalk for NetGear MR814. It would be easier and cheaper to do the MR814 than find a MR314, but I'm reluctant to experiment. And, NetGear's tech support for Mac requires you pay for their premium support. (!) When I called their regular tech support (which took a good 30 minutes waiting), they had no idea if it even supported Macs. (Even though the product link states otherwise...thanks GHPorter) Then, upon calling their sales/customer service dept, they couldn't tell me either. Soooo, I'm looking at the more expensive but well documented SMC AWR7004. It does what I'm looking for.
Why not just get an Asante FR1004AL? I think this is the same thing as the Netgear, but Asante has full and aggressive Mac/AppleTalk support. I have the FR3002 and it has worked flawlessly.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Why not just get an Asante FR1004AL? I think this is the same thing as the Netgear, but Asante has full and aggressive Mac/AppleTalk support. I have the FR3002 and it has worked flawlessly.
Forget the hardware specs. It is the software that really matters and the netgear is packed with so many great options it makes me giddy every day.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by ChadC:
Oooo Darn!

I wish this thread was here a month ago when I decided on the Linksys BEFW11S4. Well at least they will replace it if it goes down. I got it from Best Buy for $69 before Christmas. Has worked good so far, but I would like to replace the external antennas. Where can I find new ones? The so aforementioned "high" powered ones?

-ChadC
One of the most important things to note in dealing with antennas for wireless networking is that different companies use different connectors-they are NOT "one size fits all" by any means. Linksys uses a "TNC-R" connector on its WAP11 and probably the BERW11S4 as well. This is the same sort of connector used on vehicle cell phone antenna cables, but Linksys reverses which side of the connection gets the male pin (thus the -R).

Further, the "high powered antenna" that most people are referring to is actually a choice of a powered, amplifying antenna or a well designed "gain" antenna. Powered antennas are usually quite expensive, not to mention having to deal with getting the right connector, etc., while gain antennas are anywhere from expensive to really cheap (you can build one yourself).

Before you go to the trouble and expense of new antennas, try the cheap solution: elevate your access point. My WAP11 gave me so-so coverage until I put it on a shelf about 5 feet from the floor. Now it covers my whole 1800 square foot house quite well. I'm thinking of raising it another foot to see if I can cover the far edge of my patio.

jbeebee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 02:24 PM

Just figured I post this as a testament to the Netgear MR314. Bought it yesterday (some Comp USA's are still selling them) and had it hooked up to my G3 blue tower and my tipowerbook in less than 45 minutes. It was 129.99 with a $30 price break and a $30 rebate from the manufacturer. Its the best $70 I ever spent, especially compared to $299 for an airport. Also, it is set up in my attic on the third floor and I am writing this in my kitchen on the first floor. So, just figured I pass along the info, good luck to you.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Forget the hardware specs. It is the software that really matters and the netgear is packed with so many great options it makes me giddy every day.
Asante supports AppleTalk, but Netgear does not. This is a software issue.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Asante supports AppleTalk, but Netgear does not. This is a software issue.
Luckily no PC users use AppleTalk and very few Apple users still use it. That is why Apple is ditching it.

The Netgear is packed with so many other great features it make it up for me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2003, 10:20 PM

Yeah, the software built in to the Netgear 814 wireless router is excellent. I would definitely recommend it.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Jan 19, 2003, 05:42 AM

And lets not forget the fact that it is dead sexy:

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 01:02 PM

I just this router up this weekend. I'm having trouble figuring out some of the options though.

I'm trying to turn off the SSID broadcasting (as I've read about in several Security sites) but I can't find this feature on the Config page.

It's probablt called something else. Does anybody have this router?

SPiNdustrious
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 02:06 PM

I fear the MR 814 always broadcasts its SSID. Is this possible?

Peter

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 12, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by SPiNdustrious:
I fear the MR 814 always broadcasts its SSID. Is this possible?

Peter
There's another thread on this forum where this is being discussed. At this point in time, I don't know that you can turn off SSID broadcast with the MR 814, but it is possible that a newer firmware may be available that provides this capability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules