Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trying to copy a DVD to machine

Trying to copy a DVD to machine
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 04:11 PM

I have a copy of a DVD I am trying to save to my computer so I can burn it when I get home....Becuase its a work copy itself it is in VCD format...
It will not let me copy it and the DVD player will not play it...

Any ideas?

dagaz
Nov 24, 2003, 04:32 PM

The best tool out there for playing VCD's in OSX is a program called "VLC Player" (I think it might even be freeware) - do a search on versiontracker for it. To copy the actual movie out of the VCD just open it in the finder and hunt down the .mpg file - this is playable in quicktime.
Not compatible with Windows

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 04:53 PM

Also you can use VCDGearX to extract the MPG from the video cd. It's found at this site .

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

popstand
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 06:28 PM

Don't know if you are interested, but the best method I have found for copying DVDs so far is to use the built in DVDBackup utility to decode and store the Video files on your computer, then use DVD20ne to compress the file to 4.3 GB, then burn a data DVD with toast including the video_ts folder and an empty audio_ts folder. DVD20ne removes all the menus and compresses the file to fit on a normal DVD-R or DVD-RW with little degradation in visual quality. It all works really well and takes about an hour of background encoding and burning. I suppose none of this belongs in this thread, but I just figured all this out and thought others might like to know...

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 06:30 PM

Thanks Popstand.....
I didnt know about that

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 06:43 PM

Daracle: Go HERE for the direct link and instructions. I think you can skip Step #3 since you're not interested in burning it. Hope that helps.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 11:23 PM

I downloaded the needed dvdback up app and it will not open....

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 11:44 PM

I got it....
Thanks

laieboy
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by popstand:
the built in DVDBackup utility to decode and store the Video files on your computer
where is this utility located?
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
I have a copy of a DVD I am trying to save to my computer so I can burn it when I get home....Becuase its a work copy itself it is in VCD format...
It will not let me copy it and the DVD player will not play it...
VCDs are not DVDs. They don't use the same disc media, disc format, or even same type of MPEG encoding. DVD Player does not play VCDs.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by popstand:
Don't know if you are interested, but the best method I have found for copying DVDs so far is to use the built in DVDBackup utility to decode and store the Video files on your computer, then use DVD20ne to compress the file to 4.3 GB, then burn a data DVD with toast including the video_ts folder and an empty audio_ts folder. DVD20ne removes all the menus and compresses the file to fit on a normal DVD-R or DVD-RW with little degradation in visual quality. It all works really well and takes about an hour of background encoding and burning.

DVD2OneX is a really impressive piece of software. It re-encoded my new Matrix:Reloaded DVD in 16 minutes on my dual-G5, utilizing both processors in the process. The copy/decrypt/reencode/burn process took about 45 minutes or so all told. I don't have any practical use for it (why copy a DVD I already own?), but as a technology it's quite impressive.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

popstand
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by laieboy:
where is this utility located?
It should be in your utilities folder. It's a Mac utility. I don't remember it being there under Jaguar so maybe it's an addition to Panther.

popstand
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
why copy a DVD I already own?
That's true, but it's still a nice utility for compressing a DVD image on your Powerbook's HD. Watching from the image takes less power with less to carry and with DVD2One it takes up 3 less GB on your HD.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 01:41 PM

Alright....
I have it so the VCD will play using another utility...But DVDBackup will not copy it still
How do I copy a VCD to my drive?

T9000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 02:02 PM

I was just playing around last night and I all I want to do is rip a dvd onto my HD for later watching. How do I do that?

popstand
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by T9000:
I was just playing around last night and I all I want to do is rip a dvd onto my HD for later watching. How do I do that?
Use the DVDBackup utility which should be located in your utilities folder. It's a simple drag and drop process and it creates an exact decoded replica on your HD in a fairly short period of time. To play just start up DVD-Player choose open from the file menu and select the video_ts folder that was created on your hard drive. The last thing you do is hit the play button and the movie should play.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

Arkham, have you tried burning Reloaded? My roommate tried to make a copy of his disc and it failed...twice. He just popped the VIDEO_TS folder into a Toast session and it never managed to burn. Know if there's some new kind of protection on it? Or are we just messing up?

popstand, the DVDBackup Utility does not come preinstalled on you machine. One must download it (unless they've started adding it to Panther) Go to VersionTracker and run a search on it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Daracle: Go HERE for the direct link and instructions. I think you can skip Step #3 since you're not interested in burning it. Hope that helps.
from the instructions you provided ... in step 1, what's the point of making the apple DVD player read the DVD ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
from the instructions you provided ... in step 1, what's the point of making the apple DVD player read the DVD ?
So it can authenticate the DVD. Otherwise DVDBackup can't decrypt the disk...

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Alright....
I have it so the VCD will play using another utility...But DVDBackup will not copy it still
How do I copy a VCD to my drive?
Because a VCD is NOT a DVD. If you want to get the mpg (the video file) from the VCD properly get VCDGearX from Version Tracker or the link I posted near the top of this thread. That should copy the file to your disk for viewing.

I used to use the PC version of this program to extract the video to correct errors in the video then reburn it.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:
So it can authenticate the DVD. Otherwise DVDBackup can't decrypt the disk...

Terrance
authenticate it against what ? It's zone ?
register it somewhere ?

how come VLC can decrypt DVD's without even changing the drive zone ?

thx
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8

Tildenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 10:16 AM

Can you rip a dvd to the hard drive if you only have a combo drive, or do have to have a superdrive. I do not want to make copy of my DVDs but would like one or two on the computer to watch while away from the house.

Thanks

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 11:33 AM

authenticate it against what ? It's zone ?
register it somewhere ?

how come VLC can decrypt DVD's without even changing the drive zone ?

thx
No...

In order for DVDBackup to work the DVD basically has to "unlock" the video to the operating system. This is done by running the DVD in the DVD Player. This program checks to see if its a valid DVD (macrovision protection here) and once it see that it's valid then you can run DVDBackup. Don't know all the particulars but then DVDBACkup can scan for the "key" that the DVD Player used to unlock the program. When it's decrypting the DVD you'll see the key that it found...

If this doesn't make sense, just do it anyway... otherwise it won't work...

VLC does not decrypt DVDs, it's just a media player. It one of three programs (I believe) that can also read VCD and SuperVCDs.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Tildenw:
Can you rip a dvd to the hard drive if you only have a combo drive, or do have to have a superdrive. I do not want to make copy of my DVDs but would like one or two on the computer to watch while away from the house.

Thanks
The combo drive will work... you just need a DVD drive to read the disk...

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 11:51 AM

No...

In order for DVDBackup to work the DVD basically has to "unlock" the video to the operating system. This is done by running the DVD in the DVD Player. This program checks to see if its a valid DVD (macrovision protection here) and once it see that it's valid then you can run DVDBackup. Don't know all the particulars but then DVDBACkup can scan for the "key" that the DVD Player used to unlock the program. When it's decrypting the DVD you'll see the key that it found...

VLC does not decrypt DVDs, it's just a media player. It one of three programs (I believe) that can also read VCD and SuperVCDs.

Terrance
But launching Apple's DVD Player will make me change the zone, won't it ? (I have DVD's from many different countries).

btw. VLC can read DVD's without you changing the zone ... just insert a DVD and in the CDs & DVDs preference pane, change the setting for Video DVD to open VLC ...
then in VLC go to File > Open Disc ... that's it ... multi-zone entertainment.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 05:57 PM

But launching Apple's DVD Player will make me change the zone, won't it ? (I have DVD's from many different countries).

btw. VLC can read DVD's without you changing the zone ... just insert a DVD and in the CDs & DVDs preference pane, change the setting for Video DVD to open VLC ...
then in VLC go to File > Open Disc ... that's it ... multi-zone entertainment.
Then try to use VLC to authenticate the disk. Then try to run DVDBackup. If you don't get key to appear when backing up a DVD then it didn't work (not entirely true, some titles may not have the macrovision protection--but if it's a major movie then it's probably there). You can always try it anyway and see if you can view the movie on your hard disk.

If you are running Jaguar, there is a patch around that can make the DVD player multi-regional. Not sure if it work with Panther though.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 07:53 AM

I tried burning a DVD with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders produced by DVD2One, but it failed to play after burning them under the DVD option in Toast 6.0.3. Should the DVD be UDF format, or am I in the wrong pane in Toast?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2003, 09:22 AM

VLC does not decrypt DVDs, it's just a media player.
what.

How the hell does it display the video if it doesn't decrypt the CSS coding?

Of COURSE it decrypts DVDs.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
I tried burning a DVD with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders produced by DVD2One, but it failed to play after burning them under the DVD option in Toast 6.0.3. Should the DVD be UDF format, or am I in the wrong pane in Toast?
Did you allow Toast to verify the burned disk?

What kind of medium did you use?

Before I upgraded the drive firmware on my Rev. A 12" Powerbook's Superdrive, DVDs burned on cheap media wouldn't verify or play properly.

-s*

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 10:45 AM

Yes, and I'm using Pioneer DVD-RW media :-P

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2003, 01:37 PM

Yes, and I'm using Pioneer DVD-RW media :-P
DVD-RW won't play in stand-alone DVD players at all. (There may be a few exceptions by now.)

-s*

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
what.

How the hell does it display the video if it doesn't decrypt the CSS coding?

Of COURSE it decrypts DVDs.

-s*
Not to disk... that's what's DVDBackup is for...

Pay attention...

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 02:05 PM

Use the DVD-ROM (UDF) option to burn the disk. Click the 'New Disk' button at the bottom then drag the folders under it. I think this keeps the desktop files from being copied onto the DVD-R.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 02:14 PM

DVD-RW won't play in stand-alone DVD players at all. (There may be a few exceptions by now.)

-s*
My JVC dvd player accepts this format. But if you're burning a disc for someone else, it's best to use a DVD-R. And if you're buying a new DVD player, make sure it explictly says what formats it can play (DVD-R, VCD, SVCD, etc.) before you buy it; saves an headache... and tell your friends exactly. They can be hardheaded. I told one of my friends what to look for and she just bought one of the more expensive ones and it STILL didn't play the formats... Then they get mad and look at you like you're supposed to fix it... I just tell them how stupid they are and walk away...

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2003, 03:10 PM

Not to disk... that's what's DVDBackup is for...

Pay attention...

Terrance

If this doesn't make sense, just do it anyway... otherwise it won't work...

VLC does not decrypt DVDs, it's just a media player.
[/b]Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this post, you state that DVD Player has to "unlock" the DVD's encryption to the system.

Then you state that VLC does not decrypt DVDs, when it must in order to play them.

So I'm confused:
Is VLC able or not to "unlock" DVDs to the system?

Also, I seem to recall VLC having command-line options for decrypting to disk, no? (Could be well off on that)

-s*

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 03:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this post, you state that DVD Player has to "unlock" the DVD's encryption to the system.

Then you state that VLC does not decrypt DVDs, when it must in order to play them.

So I'm confused:
Is VLC able or not to "unlock" DVDs to the system?

Also, I seem to recall VLC having command-line options for decrypting to disk, no? (Could be well off on that)

-s* [/B]
For the purpose of using DVDbackup, I suggested using the DVD Player. I haven't tried VLC to authorize a DVD. I suggest trying it for multi-region setups, since I don't have that situation (and no current DVD to try). If it works that's great, otherwise they would have to find another option for authorizing the dvd (via patch for instance for Jaguar OS).

Also decrypt in this instance means copying the files to the hard disk without the macrovision protection and also without the region info. VLC does not have that, at least in the GUI. In order to decrypt a DVD, you have to play it first so DVDBackup can get the "key" to decrypt.

And your guess is as good as mine as far as the -s* option. DVDBackup has the interface and easier to use for a person new to backing up DVDs than dropping to the command line. Also just looking at the command line options I didn't see that parameter on their webpage.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by xylon:
Arkham, have you tried burning Reloaded? My roommate tried to make a copy of his disc and it failed...twice. He just popped the VIDEO_TS folder into a Toast session and it never managed to burn. Know if there's some new kind of protection on it? Or are we just messing up?
I had no problems burning it (the first and only DVD I have "backed up"), so I suspect you're just "messing up" in some way. I burned the DVD as a data disk rather than as a video disk at the suggestion of a friend. I added only the VIDEO_TS folder created by DVDtoOneX from the one created by DVDBackup. It played fine in my iBook's DVD player as well as the real DVD player at my in-laws house.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules