Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice Needed:pb 12" sharing keyboard/mouse/monitor with pc

Advice Needed:pb 12" sharing keyboard/mouse/monitor with pc
PCswitcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 04:19 PM

Hello,

I am considering switch my digital darkroom from pc to Mac, but I have to keep pc for other purpose. I decide to buy powerbook 12".

I am not sure if it is feasible to sharing PC's keyboard, mouse and 19" CRT monitor with this powerbook?

Thanks

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2003, 04:29 PM

Sure it is - just go get a USB KVM switch. Don't know off the top of my head if your 12" has a vga or a dvi out, but you can easily convert to vga and then pump into the kvm. No problem.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 05:25 PM

I just bought one of the iogear extreme USB/PS2 KVMs. It's supposed to emulate the mac multimedia keys. I bought the 4 port KVM (May have more than 2 machines hooked up at anyone time) for 160 at Newegg.com. They also have the 2-port for $110 (I think). It comes with the usb cables, but the PS/2 cables are extra. I'm going to share my wireless keyboard and mouse, and 19 inch monitor with my 15.2 inch Powerbook, Corecrib and Athlon 1.5Gig PC. It should be on it's way here next week, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

PCswitcher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 08:54 PM

Thank you guys,

terrancew_hod, please let us know how it works.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 11:33 AM

I got my KVM in last night. Connected everything and so far so good. I'm able to switch between my powerbook and my Corecrib and use all the multimedia keys on my Logitech Cordless Duo MX. I also am doing the monitor spanning with the powerbook. It came in handy as I was working remotely on a customer site; I had that window open on my powerbook, music, email, ichat and watching a DVD on the other monitor. Then I was creating a DVD on the other machine. All I had to do is click a button to switch between the two. There's a hotkey combination to go between the two machines, but I was too lazy to pick up the manual .

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

PCswitcher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 01:28 PM

terrancew_hod:
Thanks for sharing information with us.

I took a look at iogear website, there is one small kit like this:
http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCS62
Do you know if this kit will work with powerbook? Do I need extra USB to PS2 splitter to hook up between powerbook and keyboard/mouse, since powerbook has no PS2 ports.

I am planing to buy Logitech Cordless Duo MX since my current keyboard is not Mac compatible.

Thanks

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 02:30 PM

They have a USB version of this, but I believe there were problems using the Multimedia keys on all of iogears KVM offerings (not supported at all). The Extreme line was the first (I believe) that was able to use all the eject keys as well as other mac media keys.

That was one of the reasons I held off on getting a KVM until now.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

PCswitcher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 02:32 PM

thanks for valuable information

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 4, 2003, 05:09 PM

(imho) the best solution is KM Remote - no need to buy that expensive KVM switch, no incompatibilities. and no, i'm not affiliated with the developer :-) just love the product. download the demo and check it out.

cheers,

eff

Forum Links
Forum Rules