Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Recording TV on Powerbook

Recording TV on Powerbook
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 12:22 PM

I have a Dish Network satellite TV set up with an S-Video output. How do I watch and record TV on my 17" 1.33 Powerbook. Do I need to purchase an external TV box as the ones sold by Dr. Bott or Formac. Will I be able to record using iDVD or Quicktime. Thanks

nagromme
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 04:31 PM

I've heard of problems with Formac, so I'd go with El Gato EyeTV or something else. But I'm waiting for an internal Cardbus solution. Unless that happens, an external box is your only option.

BUT, if you don't need tuner, just input and manual recording, you can feed TV through a Firewire camcorder as another option. You might even be able to time a recording with AppleScript or some shareware.
nagromme

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 04:41 PM

Personally i think TV is a destructive thing in this country, there are more TV's than households, and its the main source of information, information that is controlled by the government, and has a very addictive quality to it, it is the ultimate drug by par, and it provides the government the ability to control what people think. What control's your eyes controls your perception. Perception is Reality, and Reality is an opinion.

Windows has the media center, however Mac does not have this built in, and when CNet asked Job's this question, this is what he responded with:

"We're not going to go that direction," Jobs said. Jobs said there are several problems with the Media Center concept, in particular the wide divergence in the way people want to watch television as compared with how they use a computer. "Generally what they want to view on television has to do with turning their mind off," he said.

And he could NOT be more correct. That is a counter-cultural statement and its great. So if your going to go that route dont expect Apple to supply you with the direct capability ; )
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 06:15 PM

The XLR8 Interview is probably the cheapest way to get TV into your powerbook...though not necessarily the best quality...still it's Ok. Can probably get it for under $40 on Ebay...new is $90.

It's more like a cable than a "box" that plugs into the USB port and accepts Composite and S-Video. I believe the resolution is the same as for the EyeTV (also a USB gizmo)...something like 352x240.

You can record the video and have it compress on the fly with a 3ivx codec or MPEG4. There are lots of software solutions that will do this for you (ie. BTV Pro, etc.). I think it may come with some software that will do this also.

I have used it on my Powerbook to watch TV patched in from a VCR and it's pretty good.

ibook_steve
Dec 8, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by krux`:
Personally i think TV is a destructive thing in this country, there are more TV's than households, and its the main source of information, information that is controlled by the government, and has a very addictive quality to it, it is the ultimate drug by par, and it provides the government the ability to control what people think. What control's your eyes controls your perception. Perception is Reality, and Reality is an opinion.

Windows has the media center, however Mac does not have this built in, and when CNet asked Job's this question, this is what he responded with:

"We're not going to go that direction," Jobs said. Jobs said there are several problems with the Media Center concept, in particular the wide divergence in the way people want to watch television as compared with how they use a computer. "Generally what they want to view on television has to do with turning their mind off," he said.

And he could NOT be more correct. That is a counter-cultural statement and its great. So if your going to go that route dont expect Apple to supply you with the direct capability ; )

I'm sure PJ G4 truly appreciates your diatribe against television. You've definitely helped him out...not. If people want to watch television, let them. It's not yours, Steve Jobs, or anybody's place to say they can't. If you don't have anything useful to say to somebody who is just looking for ideas about something else he or she can do with their Mac, just don't reply.

Steve

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 07:52 PM

That response was a waste of time since your point of argument was hollow, i never said anyone couldnt ; )
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by krux`:
That response was a waste of time since your point of argument was hollow, i never said anyone couldnt ; )
And your response was simply off topic. I'm sure your response would be better received in the Lounge. So the next time you wish to grandstand on the soap box in an thread when a simple answer would suffice, just remember:

I WILL STAY ON TOPIC : ...

So with that out of my system, let me follow my own advice. I was looking at the new El Gato Eye TV 400; i believe it comes with a firewire connection and is more geared towards the Powerbooks. Not sure of the prices since the just released it recently. I talked myself out of getting a card since I already own a ATI All-in-Wonder on a PC downstairs connected to my 32-inch TV. Plus I barely watch enough TV for the expenditure... I'll use what I have already, but as I move towards doing everything on with OS X, maybe I'll revisit it...

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 12:37 AM

The new Eye TV's are not for the US market. For now, we are stuck with the USB version.

-- Jason

bigben1024
Dec 9, 2003, 04:02 AM

I read this thread and had to reply that television is no more of turning your mind off than literature. Before there were books, people had to imagine their stories on their own. But that also had the problem of spreading ideas. Although it is true that there is some control over television, there is still a lot of good available in this medium. Loads of informative programming as well as the things that let us "turn our minds off" for a while. The same thing was true for plays and operas, things like that. Television is less of an influence on us as we are on it.

Also, has anyone heard of the copy protection that might be coming to high definition tv? I've read some of the documentation, and it looks like a big pain.
<fancy signature here>

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
I have a Dish Network satellite TV set up with an S-Video output. How do I watch and record TV on my 17" 1.33 Powerbook. Do I need to purchase an external TV box as the ones sold by Dr. Bott or Formac. Will I be able to record using iDVD or Quicktime. Thanks
http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/index.html

Works perfect!

Forum Links
Forum Rules