Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Al or 15" Ti...decisions...decisions...

12" Al or 15" Ti...decisions...decisions...
TerryJ
Senior User
May 10, 2004, 05:53 PM

Hey everybody,

Just wanting to get some opinions of what everyone thinks about these two machines. I have been using a 12" aGHz Al SupeDrive for a few months, but for some reason got the bug for a larger screen. I came across a really nice 1GHz TiBook SuperDrive so I went ahead and bought it..it has 2 years of AppleCare which sold me. I put my 12" on a couple sites for sale and have more than anyone's share of flaky 'buyers' so I still have it. But after using the Ti for a couple weeks, I find myself kind of leaning toward selling the Ti and keeping the 12" and buying a larger display with the difference in money. I really don't do any heavy graphics or video but I do occasionally play some games like MoH but honestly, it seemed to run just as well on either. For all practical purposes the machines seem about equal performance-wise, only the larger screen and body construction which the Al wins hands down.

Anyway, if anyone has any good input, please let me know!

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 06:02 PM

hmmm, well personaly i prefer the 12" Powerbook simply because of its portability and all the attention it gets. By no means is the 15" a bad computer, but for me its just not portable enough to carry round etc, so i would be more than happy with the 12" for its easy useage, light weight and power to tackle most apps, plus the overall look is more appealing to me rather than to the 15" TiBooks! but then again the larger screen and superdrive is nothing to be sniffed at either. thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 07:05 PM

Yeah but his 12" has a SD as well, with that said boot the 15" unless you use lots of Photoshop or Final Express, the 12" is in my opinion the better computer. The only thing appealing about the 15" is the upgradeable HD without voiding your warranty, but I still would rather keep the 12".
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 05:48 AM

well, if the big screen is not a big deal, then you should definitely go with the 12" Powerbook. Especially comparing to a 15" machine that is equal in speed. now, if the comparison was between 12" 867 MHz and 15" 1.25 GHz machines, then I'd say that the performance difference definitely trumps the portability advantage...

12" Powerbook is a great machine, very tempting at 1.33 GHz. If only they'd put in a back-lit keyboard!

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 10:04 AM

Currently I own the latest rev of the TiBook...yes it is a great machine...and still way ahead of a lot of PC laptops...but I am in the means of selling it to my GF and buying a 12" which was what I wanted from the begining. The portability, the AL finish and tight construction of the 12" makes it a jewel of a computer...not to mention that it is up to speed and almost to that same level as its big brothers not as before when it was introduced.

The best combination I think of is the 12" and an external display say a 17 LCD or a 19 CRT which ever you like more...but you will get the best of both worlds...the big screen on the desk and the portability on the road.

I find my TiBook a bit to bulky and a bit to fragil when I take it on the road, the 12" every time I pick one up, it is just like a little tough sexy light brick!

Invest on a external display that it is a good investment and it would serve you well on the future with any computer.

my $0.02

TerryJ  (op)
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the replies everybody!

I have been using both side-by-side this morning and as gorgeous as the Ti screen is, I still love the 12" Al. I think I am just going to sell the Ti and maybe look into larger monitors for when I am using the Al at my desk, but I can still have that awesome portability when I am out and about...sort of the best of both worlds!

Forum Links
Forum Rules