Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook quick repair at Apple Store?

iBook quick repair at Apple Store?
mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2004, 01:32 AM

I just got an iBook from Amazon, but the keyboard is already having keys pop off after three days (and the space bar intermittently works). Can I take the laptop to a local Apple Store to get a new keyboard replacement. How long does it take and do I have to have AppleCare to get anything done at the Apple Store?

Please note, I'm buying AppleCare in a few days from the Campus Store next week because this freaks me out.

Thanks.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2004, 07:49 AM

That sucks that that happened, sorry to hear it. I don't think you should have a problem taking it to an apple store to get it fixed, and more than likely they will put a new keyboard on it. I would also guess at a week tops for an issue like that. There was another person on here that I think said he got his back in like 3 days for a logic board swap. I would recommend the apple care just for the fact that you have piece of mind, and if you do have something go wrong it is free to get it fixed. You should have the standard year to buy the warranty as well. Good luck, and I hope that every thing works out for you.

Hey I found that post.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=235471
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

rooskee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 11:41 PM

Replacing a keyboard doesnt take any time at all, at least not at the apple store near me. Just call ahead and tell them your situation. And if you can, get applecare or some sort of coverage before you go in there, because keyboards are like $100 or more... correct me if i'm wrong

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 11:55 PM

If you just recieved you ibook, you have an entire year under warranty. You can purchase AppleCare anytime within that year to extend it. If you do get a replacement keyboard you shouldn't be charged since you are well within the first free year of warranty.

mrpuddles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 02:27 AM

I called Apple Support and they are mailing me a new keyboard for me to install myself. In addition, they said I could keep my old keyboard for spare parts. Sweet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules