Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook os x cds retail?

ibook os x cds retail?
sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 07:34 AM

hi

quick question for everyone who got a new ibook lately. what kind of software cds/dvds come with the ibook? are they real retail versions or only restore versions? is it possible to custom reinstall the software? thanx a lot!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2004, 03:04 PM

Here's what came with my wife's 800MHz G4 iBook (it arrived in February):
iBook G4 Software Restore Discs 1-5
iBook G4 Mac OS X Install Discs 1-3
World Book 2003 Edition
Apple Hardware Test iBook G4

It looks like the software is all on restore discs, but the OS is a full version.

Now, what sort of "custom install" are you planing to do, and more importantly, why?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sgb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 03:20 PM

hi

thank you for your answer. since you are wondering why is asked....
the ibook will be my first mac of my own (used them a few years back at university though) after working with pcs for the last years. with most pcs i bought, i only got restore cds that set up a preconfigured system, including a lot of stuff that i really don#t want on my system. i'd rather put only the software on my computer that i want/need and not what my pc system builder thinks i should use. it's just so much nicer to start from scratch and customize your computer the way you like it.
so in case i ever have to reinstall the ibook, i'd rather have full install cds and no restore stuff. but maybe thats just because i am still thinking in the pc world.

rooskee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 11:48 PM

My iBook(i got it in september) came with 2 dvd's, which have all software and OS X on them. And you can install some of it, or all of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2004, 08:35 PM

I'd say that you should first see what comes on the machine and what you think of each app before you think about wiping the disk and starting fresh.

My wife's iBook has a 30GB drive that's still pretty roomy, even though we have never used the World Book, nor Tony Hawk, nor several of the other items that came with it.

I've always done what you're thinking of with Windows machines, because so many Windows apps don't play nice, but that's not the case with Macs. Try the whole thing out for a while before you think about messing with it. Macs are different; get the feel of 'em before you start modifying anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2004, 11:53 PM

I know what you mean there where some things that I didn't want as well. Mostly the more than 1gig tonyhawk game that I will never play. With the new disks I think I was able to select what files I didn't want. This was when I put my hard drive in and reinstalled all the software. Besides that if there is something that you know you don't want you can just move it to the trash, empty it, and you are done.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules