Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HDTV: Picture worse with HDMI than with coaxial cable?

HDTV: Picture worse with HDMI than with coaxial cable?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 04:06 AM

Okay, here's a stumper for you. I'm at home visiting the parents for the holidays, and apparently since the last time I was here, they bought a new LCD high-definition TV (a Sony Bravia KDL-26M3000). Not being familiar with new TV technology, I decided to play with it a bit. It's connected to the cable box / DVR thing (a Motorola DCT6416 III) both via HDMI and by standard coaxial cable. In the TV's settings, I can choose whether it gets its signal from the coaxial cable or HDMI in a menu labeled "External Input". To set it to use the coaxial cable, I can choose "TV" in the External Input menu. With this setting, all the channels look pretty much okay. I can also set External Input to HDMI, and then the picture looks fantastic if it's viewing an HD channel. However, if it's on a standard-def channel, the picture looks horrible with HDMI. Basically, it looks like it's suffering from really high JPEG compression, with artifacts everywhere. If I switch the input mode back to "TV" so it gets its signal from the ordinary coaxial cable, it looks normal again. What's going on here? Shouldn't HDMI have a higher quality in general than other connection types?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 05:07 AM

Never mind! The problem has been answered privately, by goMac. Turns out the issue was that the "4:3 Override" setting in the cable box's User Settings menu was set to 480p, whereas it should have been set to 480i. Changing this seems to have fixed the issue.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules