Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Basic PowerPoint Question

Basic PowerPoint Question
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 12:56 PM

So I just finished a 44 page dinner program for a charity awards dinner, and they want to know if I can convert all the pages of the program into PowerPoint slides so they can use 'em at the dinner...

OK... I have PowerPoint for Mac from 2001... the Word Office Suite?

I have already PDF'd the entire job (from Quark 6.5, if that matters)... can I pop PDF files into PowerPoint to make a slide? Is it a pain in the a** or what? (I know I could read the instructions, but before I even look, is it possible?)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 01:04 PM

It will be a pain to do what you want to do.
Can you talk to their tech people? They should be able to play the PDF as a slideshow for the dinner - the person arranging the invite may not know this.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2008, 01:34 PM

What peeb said. Surprisingly many people are completely unaware that there is such a thing as full-screen mode in Acrobat Reader, and that you can use it just like a regular PowerPoint presentation then.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 02:18 PM

really? there's an Acrobat Reader "version" of PowerPoint presentation? i will investigate... thanks...

PS: They do not have tech people, believe me...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 02:24 PM

No, regular Acrobat Reader has a fullscreen view option that will look exactly like powerpoint.
Are you going to be operating your own slideshow?

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 02:27 PM

No... I am supposed to hand them a file to use...

And I understand what you mean, I misstated in my previous post... it's already IN the Reader software...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
really? there's an Acrobat Reader "version" of PowerPoint presentation? i will investigate... thanks...

PS: They do not have tech people, believe me...
Not an Acrobat Reader ‘version’ of PowerPoint, but a full-screen mode in Acrobat Reader. Short cut is Cmd/Ctrl + L.

When you open the PDF file, just press Cmd/Ctrl + L and the PDF is maximised to full screen (if it’s portrait, the left and right sides of the screen will just be black, otherwise it usually fits pretty okay), and you can use remotes or left/right/up/down keys to flip through individual slides in the PDF file just like you would normally flip through individual slides in a PowerPoint presentation.

Edit: Bah, too slow, no less than two replies in while I was typing.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 02:29 PM

OK, so you need to talk to the person who will actually run the slide show, and explain to them that they need to use acrobat reader, and put it into full screen mode.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 02:32 PM

wow... less pointless work for me! yay...

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2008, 07:09 PM

unless of course your program is completely unreadable onscreen, in which case it is preferable to actually set up a slideshow (pdf still is fine of course) in 7/10 aspect ratio etc etc etc.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 09:33 PM

Here's an even better deal. Do you have the Adobe Acrobat software? Not just the Adobe Reader? If so, open your resulting export of a PDF in the Adobe Acrobat software, then from the FILE->Properties... you can assign the PDF when opened to be FULL-SCREEN automatically. You can assign the inital view to look something like the following screenshot which will open the PDF automatically as full screen. When they are done presenting (pressing spacebar or arrows to navigate forward and back, pressing escape will exit the presentation.

For the presenter's benefit you can even have a black screen that says 'press esc to exit presentation' on your last page.

There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to PDF than people realize!

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2008, 10:02 PM

Yeah... sounds good... I have Acrobat... and I know Acrobat does a lot more, but I use it so rarely... I only investigate when my back is up against the wall...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2008, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
Here's an even better deal. Do you have the Adobe Acrobat software? Not just the Adobe Reader? If so, open your resulting export of a PDF in the Adobe Acrobat software, then from the FILE->Properties... you can assign the PDF when opened to be FULL-SCREEN automatically. You can assign the inital view to look something like the following screenshot which will open the PDF automatically as full screen. When they are done presenting (pressing spacebar or arrows to navigate forward and back, pressing escape will exit the presentation.

For the presenter's benefit you can even have a black screen that says 'press esc to exit presentation' on your last page.

There is a WHOLE LOT MORE to PDF than people realize!
Wow, I never knew about that. Cool tip, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules