Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moving to the UK with a US Macbook...

Moving to the UK with a US Macbook...
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2008, 05:14 AM

... do I need to buy a UK specific power adapter? If not, is there a way to just get a UK version of the wall-to-adapter cord that pops off without buying a whole new adapter?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 06:13 AM

You could buy a UK MacBook adapter. You need a transformer for US electrical goods in the UK (unless the US has changed voltage recently that is).

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2008, 06:56 AM

Your US adapter will work fine, but you'll need a plug adapter since the UK uses 3 large prongs. They can be bought at any Tesco in the UK (Tesco is a bit like K-Mart or a big US grocery store).

The Apple Store also has a kit that gives you 4 or so new "Duck Head" pieces to attach to the MacBook adapter in place of the 2-pronged US one.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 10:59 AM

You should be able to get the duck head pieces off of eBay easily enough. The MacBooks power adaptor will switch between voltages so it'll work fine over here.

If you get a radio cable, you can stick that into the connector where the duck head connector would go because they're the same shape, the only downside is that it wouldn't be grounded like it would if you used the long cable. As far as the long cable is concerned, you can just chop the old plug off and put a new UK plug on assuming you're comfortable with that.

moofman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks a bunch!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You need a transformer for US electrical goods in the UK
Not for most modern computer/electronics equipment where the power supply tends to be auto voltage sensing.

Don't buy the Apple adapter, unless you want the aesthetics, any old converter will do.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 06:10 AM

This is what the cable looks like if you want to go for the cheap option.

It's called UK Mains Plug to IEC C7 Figure 8 Connector Socket

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 08:24 AM

The plug adapters that specifically fit the MacBook power adapter are something like $5 on eBay.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The plug adapters that specifically fit the MacBook power adapter are something like $5 on eBay.

But the long lead or a replacement is better if you want to avoaid that tingling, not earthed sensation from your machine.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 01:26 PM

I have never had that "tingly, not earthed sensation" from my MacBook. I use only the non-grounded adapter.

I note also the MacBook shell is plastic.

If it makes any difference, I live in Canada which is 120 V (not 240).

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2008, 02:09 PM

I think the tingle is more common on metal based laptops such as Powerbooks and MacBook Pros, I know I noticed it on my 12" Powerbook.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 11:22 PM

Most of the "tingle advice" I see is voodoo. As any physicist or EE will tell you in reality it's quite simple.

The only difference that matters is the case material. Eug's MB is plastic so not grounding it works ok because his case is not a conductor anyway. A MBP OTOH has a metal case that is connected to the ground terminal. I you use a duckbill plug or ungrounded adapter you can feel that tingle because the case (together with the entire MBP's "ground") isn't connected to an actual ground and there are DC trickle currents running through the case (in some cases up to 50V DC have been measured). You could also feel the tingle with a grounded connection if your ground wiring is faulty which unfortunately is the case in many places (especially outside western Europe).

The easiest is a new duckbill (learn to live with the tingle). The safest (and more comfortable) is an adapter from grounded US to grounded UK. But obviously if you have an ungrounded socket or faulty ground wiring none of this will matter and chances are high you'll get that tingle. [I have it right now actually since I'm on a business trip in China and I'm using a US duckbill like the one Eug posted above. It's lame, but I can handle it for a few days.]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 08:53 AM

Also the reason I mentioned my MacBook is because the original poster has a MacBook (unless he's just using the term "MacBook" generically). And not surprisingly, my iBooks never have had that tingle either, since they're plastic too.

P.S. Why isn't the adapter designed to be always grounded (esp. for the MBP)?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
P.S. Why isn't the adapter designed to be always grounded (esp. for the MBP)?
My guess is the duckbill is designed for all those ungrounded sockets out there. I just spent a week in Japan. I didn't see a single grounded socket in any one of the four hotels I stayed at.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 16, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You could buy a UK MacBook adapter. You need a transformer for US electrical goods in the UK (unless the US has changed voltage recently that is).
Not necessary. Every single Apple computer made since about 2003 is world voltage (and for the 15 years before that, only a handful of products were not world voltage).

All you need is the aforementioned duckhead (that's Apple's name for them), cord, or plug adapter.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 16, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trygve View Post
The Apple Store also has a kit that gives you 4 or so new "Duck Head" pieces to attach to the MacBook adapter in place of the 2-pronged US one.
It's called the "World Travel Adapter" kit, and it's 6 duckheads that cover the entire globe. It's super elegant, but wildly overpriced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules