Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Mirroring in Illustrator

Mirroring in Illustrator
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

Hey guys, i know this isnt the most advanced graphic design forum in the world, but im not a member atm with anyothers and i thought some of u might know the answer to my one bug bare with illustrator.

is there a way to set up a reflection/ mirroring line/mode in illustrator where everthing you draw to the left of a line/guide is automatically repeated on the right of the line/guide in the matching location, it would just be a really nice feature to have. any ideas/solutions?

Matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Thorzdad
Dec 16, 2008, 02:00 PM

No, there isn't any function that does that live, as you draw. There is a Reflect tool, though, that will do the mirroring of your selection (after drawing, of course)

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 07:33 PM

yer thats the way i do things atm, thats really annoying, someone should make a plugin, such a simple feature, you would think it would take the guys at adobe 2 mins to add it

Thorzdad
Dec 16, 2008, 09:11 PM

I can't imagine it's much of a need, really. I frankly can't think of an instance where I would need to have items mirrored live, as I draw them. It's just easier to draw something, get it the way I want it, and then use the Reflect tool.

Live mirroring would, I think, effectively double the buffering involved. I could see where that would slow things down substantially.
Also, remember, if you enable live mirroring, you would also have to include live erasure.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 17, 2008, 07:14 AM

well personally i draw a lot of objects that are symmetrical with the pen tool, and sometimes its easier just to draw one side because its symmetrical, at the end of the day whats the buffering time for a vector, nothing. to me it would have just been a nice basic feature, for when im drawing crest pieces,

bluedog
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2008, 11:00 AM

Here's a possible solution that may work. I put together a screen capture to demonstrate.

http://www.vimeo.com/2564210

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 18, 2008, 04:30 PM

fantastic, i stumbled across that way of creating reflections but didnt realise it was live, thanks for taking the time out to create the video

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the tip bluedog.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 12:32 PM

No problem. I've used the reflect and other distortions but didn't realize the impact of them becoming effects until just list past year. I think effect/filters have been available since CS2 and it might have been in CS but I don't remember. They are so useful because you can edit the attributes of the effect and see the results immediately after making the change (without having to rebuild or copy multiple objects).

JasonAlexander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2009, 07:07 PM

CMD + T. try that a few times. Than mirror whats needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules