Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 3D Program For Rendering Buildings

3D Program For Rendering Buildings
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2010, 06:04 AM

Hello guys, for those of you with very good memories, i use to be an active member hear a few years ago (I think in my time hear i did manage to piss most people off) but ive just popped back to ask this question;

Since last time i was on the forums I have graduated and landed a cool job in Derby, UK, as a "Innovation Pioneer" should my email footer be believed, i mainly produce graphics for print and the web as well as being the brains behind web based technology innovation (some of which i hope to be able to come back and tell you about when we bring it to market)

But while the coders are busy coding I have been tasked with creating some 3D renders of an small estate of houses (7 at a glance). I have been given some time to learn a program to render these in and i do have experience in working in 3D, although the programs i learnt were a little more Engineering based (ProDesktop) than what is required now.

So what im looking for is a program (pref OS X based) that someone can pick up with basic knowledge of 3D and with the aid of tutorials be able to turn out 3D renderings that aren't exactly life like but maybe a little more life like than most of the stuff i have seen in google sketch up.

SO if anyone has any suggestions that would be brilliant, thanks :-)
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

-Q-
Jul 8, 2010, 08:12 AM

Probably overkill, but Maya will do the job and comes with some good tutorials to get started.

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2010, 08:21 AM

Maya is the first thing to come to my mind as well. You might be able to do a little faux 3d with Illustrator, I've seen people do it.

This looks interesting, and free. blender.org - Get Blender

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2010, 08:51 AM

Cheers guys, Blender was one i was interested in too. Anyone used it and comment on its user friendliness?

P.S. thanks for the messages guy, sig better now?

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2010, 08:53 AM

sorry re read the rules, better?

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2010, 09:27 AM

a-ok!

-Q-
Jul 8, 2010, 10:17 AM

Sig:

No experience with Blender, unfortunately.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 01:56 PM

Wow, I haven't been back here in a while either. But Blender may give you results but from my very limited experience it was not quite as intuitive of an interface as other 3d apps I tried (5 years ago).

For someone who has worked in Illustrator and doesn't need the animation I was partial to Cinema4D for renderings. It has a lot of great tools and value in its package. It can do animation and likely has improved, as I'm sure ALL have improved since I used them.

You could download their app demo to see if it fits your needs.
MAXON: CINEMA 4D

And a demo real emphasizing architectural 3D.
http://www.maxonpodcast.de/movies/ar..._reel_2010.mov

Forum Links
Forum Rules