Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone having trouble with IE5 stalls?

Anyone having trouble with IE5 stalls?
jhersco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 11:59 PM

Only recently, I have been having problems with IE 5 stalling when trying to load some web pages. The biggest problem appears to be on http://www.excite.com . It can take anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds to load fully. The problem does not happen with Netscape Communicator 4.7.6.

I would like to know whether others are now experiencing this problem, since it is a new one. I have been able to duplicate it on another Mac, so I know my computer is not to blame.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2001, 12:17 AM

Actually, my IE5 has been running like a champ. I have Compuserve for my main, log on software, but switch to IE5 regularly (Compuserve sucks, but I'm locked in to a three year contract at the moment). I haven't experienced any problems so far.
You said these problems have been happening only recently, so I assume that it HAD BEEN running ok to start with. That would point more towards some sort of software conflict, maybe of something that was installed AFTER IE 5. As for you being able to duplicate the problem on another Mac, I'm not sure.

------------------
FireMac
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. -Yoda

Sebastien
Feb 27, 2001, 01:46 AM

I've noticed that IE 5 stalls also when loading up some web pages (when other browsers don't on the same page)

I've also noticed it won't happen when a http proxy is set. Strange.

Seb

bleen
Senior User
Feb 27, 2001, 06:55 AM

I switched to IE 5 from the beginning, yes it has it's bugs (it might be from the MBU, but it's from Microsoft). Tazman rendering engine doesn't seem to withstand some sites tests. I'm on a Cable Modem and some HTML sites can take upto a minute to load.

Sebastien
Feb 27, 2001, 04:13 PM

I'd have to agree, IE 5 is much slower at rendering content than say Mozilla or Opera (long Slashdot threads is a good example)

lakota85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 09:24 PM

I have just started using IE because I am running into the same problem with Netscape 4.76
stalling with some pages. What I have noticed when this happens is that when "adsever" is contacted,
then that seems to start the stall. It makes you think that the adserver may not be loading correctly
for MacIntosh. Friends that I have that have PC's don't have the problem with the pages that I have.

Could this be a java problem seeing how it happens with NS and IE?

lakota

jhersco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 10:06 PM

My problem with IE is not software related--It occurs even with only Mac OS 9.0.4 extensions loaded. The problem is not solved by switching to a proxy server. It is really evident on Excite, which is why I asked whether other people are having a problem with Excite.com specifically. I suspect that Excite changed something in their web page design or technology that caused this problem to suddenly start after months of trouble-free usage of IE 5.

Would those of you who read this please check the Excite.com pages and post your results. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by jhersco (edited 02-27-2001).]

bmedina
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 10:13 PM

http://www.excite.com/ loads in just a few seconds for me. Try reinstalling IE. Or better yet, switch to Mozilla or Opera.

Forum Links
Forum Rules