Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac better to upgrade than PC

Mac better to upgrade than PC
climber
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 11:29 PM

I have heard many times from others that Windows PC�s are more expandable than my Mac, But consider the following:

I currently have a B&W G3-350. It has been upgraded to a 500mhz G4 and currently runs IDVD2 and burns DVD�s without problems to an internally installed Superdrive. It also runs OSX. It even plays DVD�s with the PCI ATI Rage card.

I also have a PC that I built well after I bought the powermac. It used a PII or PIII in the slot configuration from that era. The fastest CPU I could buy for the board would be 600mhz (the board is a Micronics M400) It does have AGP graphics and the FSB is at 100mhz. It uses the same PC100 as in my B&W.

I guess my point comes down to this, There is no way that I could get this system to run Windows XP and burn DVD�s using any available software, short of replacing the Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and even the case.
climber

starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 12:24 AM

Wrong.

First off, you can't use a multichannel digital audio card in a Mac. Right there the Mac loses in the digital audio for DVD content creation and gaming arena.

Second, you don't need a PIV to burn DVDs. Who told you that? My 600MHz PIII can burn DVDs.

Third, I have XP running on a 233MHz PII test machine at work as an "extreme case" for a minimum requirements test. Runs fine. Runs SLOW, but runs fine.

Try some real world test before cheerleading the Mac.

"Replacing the case"? Please. A simple ATX case will handle things fine. How do I know? Been there, done that. Went from a PIII to a PIV and had to replace what was IN the case, but not the case itself.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by climber:
<STRONG>I have heard many times from others that Windows PC�s are more expandable than my Mac, But consider the following:

I currently have a B&W G3-350. It has been upgraded to a 500mhz G4 and currently runs IDVD2 and burns DVD�s without problems to an internally installed Superdrive. It also runs OSX. It even plays DVD�s with the PCI ATI Rage card.

I also have a PC that I built well after I bought the powermac. It used a PII or PIII in the slot configuration from that era. The fastest CPU I could buy for the board would be 600mhz (the board is a Micronics M400) It does have AGP graphics and the FSB is at 100mhz. It uses the same PC100 as in my B&W.

I guess my point comes down to this, There is no way that I could get this system to run Windows XP and burn DVD�s using any available software, short of replacing the Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and even the case.</STRONG>
You can burn CDs with a Pentium233 - which seems to be the minimum system requirement of the most popular CD burning software.

Your motherboard can be upgraded to a 1GHz Pentium3 if you flash the BIOS with the newest version and use a $20 socket adapter w/onboard voltage regulator to convert a FCPGA P3 to fit the 'slot1' motherboard.
*empty space*

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2002, 01:56 AM

I can play DVDs with a Pentium II 333MHz.

Don't bother with WinXP, stay with Win2000.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 22, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
<STRONG>I can play DVDs with a Pentium II 333MHz.

Don't bother with WinXP, stay with Win2000.</STRONG>
Why exactly?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>Why exactly?</STRONG>
Why not? Win2K is more stable, it's faster, and perhaps most important of all, it lacks Windows Product Activation. And it's compatible enough (being based off the same codebase) that there isn't much in the way of support issues over XP.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KellyHogan
Banned
May 22, 2002, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>
Why not? Win2K is more stable, it's faster, and perhaps most important of all, it lacks Windows Product Activation. And it's compatible enough (being based off the same codebase) that there isn't much in the way of support issues over XP.</STRONG>
Erm, that was all the misinformation I heard until I decided I needed some backward compatibility with some games. XP is just as stable. It is only slightly less faster but then that depends on your graphics cards 2D performance. Win XP also gives you plenty of control over the interface that no other OS does. You can turn off every single effect until you basically have a Windows 95 shell with no shadows, no transparency, no sliding effects, etc. So there is no speed problem. It's faster in 3D easily.

As for Product Activation, the only downpoints about it is that 1. You can't install the same disc on multiple computers. And we know how people like to do that. 2. If you change five pieces of hardware you then have to activate again. But activation takes about 5 seconds so I can't understand the problem.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by starman:
<STRONG>First off, you can't use a multichannel digital audio card in a Mac. Right there the Mac loses in the digital audio for DVD content creation and gaming arena.</STRONG>
Emagic EMI 2|6 USB audio interface works. I'm not sure how the channel distribution works under 9, but OS X definitely supports this (unlimited channels, freely assignable across interfaces).
"though i haven't tried it myself."

-s*

starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 10:01 AM

SH,
That's nice, but it doesn't solve the problem I have with Final Cut Pro not allowing me to use more than 2 channels in a project. If I wanted to work with Dolby Digital, I'd have to use the stereo tracks in the FCP project, but build a whole DVD just to see if the audio synchs properly with the video. I want FCP to output 6-channel DD and/or DTS while I'm working on it.

Mike

climber  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 02:50 PM

Starman, Apparantly you are correct about the system requirements for windows DVD software, but I am not sure how long it would take you to encode the Mpeg2 files. When I tried it a year or so ago it took more than a day. If this is still the case it hardly compares to the couple of hours it takes on my mac.

As far as XP on this old motherboard, not worth the time to figure it out. I tried a couple months back and could not even get it to boot. And with win 2000, It's being used by my son for games so there is no point.

My reference to the case, actually refers to the Power Supply and the missing conections for that board.
climber

KellyHogan
Banned
May 22, 2002, 02:55 PM

<STRONG>Starman, Apparantly you are correct about the system requirements for windows DVD software, but I am not sure how long it would take you to encode the Mpeg2 files. When I tried it a year or so ago it took more than a day. If this is still the case it hardly compares to the couple of hours it takes on my mac.
</STRONG>
The speed of mpeg 2 decoding has nothing to do with the OS. iDVD has very fast encoding because it has a great codec. If that same codec was running on XP with a 2Ghz CPU it would just be incredibly fast. Too fast.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 22, 2002, 06:13 PM

<STRONG>

The speed of mpeg 2 decoding has nothing to do with the OS. iDVD has very fast encoding because it has a great codec. If that same codec was running on XP with a 2Ghz CPU it would just be incredibly fast. Too fast.</STRONG>
PC Coders are too ignorant to know how to add that 'codec' into a PC program.

Why don't you? You always have your head up bill gate's rear end so much anyway.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

KellyHogan
Banned
May 22, 2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>

PC Coders are too ignorant to know how to add that 'codec' into a PC program.

Why don't you? You always have your head up bill gate's rear end so much anyway.</STRONG>
Yawn. Someone has to have the best codec don't they? Good for Apple that they have a very good speedy mpeg2 encoder. However most of the best codecs are from other companies and mostly available on the Windows platform and not OSX. They will be available after a while.

And stop being a childish computer worshipping nitwit.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2002, 07:16 PM

<STRONG>
I guess my point comes down to this, There is no way that I could get this system to run Windows XP and burn DVD�s using any available software, short of replacing the Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and even the case.</STRONG>
It should be pointed out that you can replace the MB, CPU and RAM on a PC for a very small amount of money. From what you said you can proably keep the RAM you have too (not that RAM costs enough to worry about). You could probably do the upgrade for about the same price you paid for your G4 upgrade card to rice out your G3.

Cheap interchangable parts are the hallmark of the x86 platform. It has it's disadvantages, but price and choice are not amoung them.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
<STRONG>

It should be pointed out that you can replace the MB, CPU and RAM on a PC for a very small amount of money. From what you said you can proably keep the RAM you have too (not that RAM costs enough to worry about). You could probably do the upgrade for about the same price you paid for your G4 upgrade card to rice out your G3.

Cheap interchangable parts are the hallmark of the x86 platform. It has it's disadvantages, but price and choice are not amoung them.</STRONG>
Cheap interchangable parts is definitly a drawback of the x86 platform. Because of the sheer volume, x86 operating systems (Windows, Linux, *BSD) have become bloated due to having to support varying hardware. From my experiences, buying the best you can afford usually saves you money in the long run. My Linux machine needed 3 NIC cards, 2 power supplies, and 2 floppy drives before it was "stable." After that, it ran like a dream, but I should have shelled the money out up front to buy quality products.

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 09:41 PM

Of course, "burning" a DVD doesn't necessarily mean making a DVD-Video. I made many DVD-R and DVD-RW data discs, so MPEG-2 is irrelevant.

Mike

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2002, 11:13 PM

<STRONG>I have heard many times from others that Windows PC’s are more expandable than my Mac, But consider the following:

I currently have a B&W G3-350. It has been upgraded to a 500mhz G4 and currently runs IDVD2 and burns DVD’s without problems to an internally installed Superdrive. It also runs OSX. It even plays DVD’s with the PCI ATI Rage card.

I guess my point comes down to this, There is no way that I could get this system to run Windows XP and burn DVD’s using any available software, short of replacing the Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and even the case.</STRONG>
You are comparing a best-case Mac upgrade (because there's no way that you will add more CD drives to it) and a worst-case PC upgrade (WinXP is essentially a downgrade from Win2000 ).

How much did you pay for the G4-500 upgrade back then? Maybe you can buy an entire new, competitive PC for that money.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 22, 2002, 11:14 PM

PCs are superior to macs in every way. Or at least if you want to be cool.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2002, 11:22 PM

<STRONG>PCs are superior to macs in every way. Or at least if you want to be cool.</STRONG>
Whoever said that there's a correlation between one's computer and personal coolness?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 12:36 AM

Ok.. so macs are far superior to PCs in every way

Seriously, I'm pleased with my mac, and am not worrying at all about what my next computer will be, etc, *shrug*

climber  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 12:38 AM

<STRONG>

You are comparing a best-case Mac upgrade (because there's no way that you will add more CD drives to it) and a worst-case PC upgrade (WinXP is essentially a downgrade from Win2000 ).

How much did you pay for the G4-500 upgrade back then? Maybe you can buy an entire new, competitive PC for that money.</STRONG>
I only paid 300 bucks last month for the CPU upgrade. So unless I looked at a very cheap PC.

I actually already upgraded the PC. What I wound up with was mostly a new PC. Just putting in a 1.8 PIV resulted in a new enclosure and Power Supply, Motherboard, Rambus Memory, Network card (old one was old style bus EISA??) , Copy of XP, and a bigger HD, And I figured a new GF3 should top it off. I think I kept the floppy drive and the old cd drive. Maybe 50 bucks worth..

I guess that qualifies as a new PC. The problem was what to do with all the old junk from the original PC, hence it's current location in my son's room.

As far as adding more CD drives to my Mac, you are wrong. It also has an external SCSI CDRW drive as well as a SCSI DAT backup tape drive. It also has in internal SCSI hard drive as well. I also use a firewire hard drive.

Now do you really think you can get a four year old PC to run all of that stuff using XP?

I still want to know how long it would take a 600mhz windows box to encode an hour long MPEG2 for DVD burning.
climber

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 12:40 AM

When I think of 'upgrading' my old PC i usually ditch the idea because for about the same price of an upgrade.. maybe a few bucks more, I can grab a case, power box, and have a whole 'nother machine to toy with....

Prefer it that way, have another great machine and heck, a computer is a computer

(I have 4 on my desk, ALL MINE! )

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 01:39 AM

When I think of 'upgrading' my old PC i usually ditch the idea because for about the same price of an upgrade.. maybe a few bucks more, I can grab a case, power box, and have a whole 'nother machine to toy with....

Prefer it that way, have another great machine and heck, a computer is a computer

(I have 4 on my desk, ALL MINE! )

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2002, 05:00 PM

All I know is to upgrade my Gateway w/ 1 GHz PIII to a P4 involves a new motherboard. 1k + right now in total for processor and board.

My G3 can upgrade to a G4 by simply changing the processor. And speeds are coming up to par soon with MWNY.

So I think macs have it better.

KellyHogan
Banned
May 23, 2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
[QB]All I know is to upgrade my Gateway w/ 1 GHz PIII to a P4 involves a new motherboard. 1k + right now in total for processor and board.

My G3 can upgrade to a G4 by simply changing the processor. And speeds are coming up to par soon with MWNY.

QB]
But why upgrade a 1Ghz P3 when it is faster than 90% of the current Mac range (the only faster ones are the 933 and Dual gig Power Macs)? And if you want a speedy upgrade then why not consider an Athlon XP 2000+ and motherboard for about $300?

finboy
May 23, 2002, 07:05 PM

<STRONG>

Whoever said that there's a correlation between one's computer and personal coolness?</STRONG>
Me.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2002, 07:18 PM

<STRONG>All I know is to upgrade my Gateway w/ 1 GHz PIII to a P4 involves a new motherboard. 1k + right now in total for processor and board.

So I think macs have it better.</STRONG>
Why upgrade a PIII 1Ghz? Great processor. Don't believe the hype, P4 may have ludicrously high clock rates, but as a Mac fan i'm sure you know that Mhz isn't everything. Throw some RAM in it and your PIII will do just about anything you need.

However, if you were to upgrade your MB and CPU, you could do so far MUCH less than $1000. I'm not sure where you're shopping, but parts are cheap. Hell, you could buy an entire new P4 machine for less than that.

Also, it should be noted that slapping a G4 upgrade card on a G3 doesn't give you all the benefits of a new G4 machine. Replacing the MB gives you a lot of new features and benefits in I/O, cache, bus speeds, plus whatever new imbedded stuff you might get like gigait ethernet or something. In other words, comparing a G4 upgrade card to replacing a MB and CPU is NOT an equal comparison and the price difference means something.

Macs rock and it's not necessary to skew our comparisons to demonstrate that.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: thunderous_funker ]
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 11:54 PM

<STRONG>

But why upgrade a 1Ghz P3 when it is faster than 90% of the current Mac range (the only faster ones are the 933 and Dual gig Power Macs)? And if you want a speedy upgrade then why not consider an Athlon XP 2000+ and motherboard for about $300?</STRONG>
I can confirm right now that my dp800 ran circles, many many circles around my p3 933.

Way too many circles, kelly, you are really kidding yourself this time. Even web browsing is faster on the mac.

Oh yeah, make it better yet, I used an 'elitegroup' board on my p3.. piece of crap it was, I had to get it replaced by ECS 5 times and the last one croaked on me the worst of ways. Heck, they even had my whole machine redone with 'compatible' parts though mine were more expensive and the fugger still croaked.

Come to think of it, my p3 wasn't really that much faster in anything compared with my cyrix 600mhz machine. Of course it was probably the fact I used a better board (ePox).

When I bought this computer, I tried all of the alternatives including an athlon 1.4, the dp800 I took because it didn't show the hourglass on every damned thing I did (not even the watch).

As far as personal value is, consider this:
I just found the p166 in the back of my garage, jacked up and needing a bit of repair, and a hard drive.
The p3 no longer exists, since the only working part is the cpu and heatsink, which I keep in my desk drawer (they've been sitting there well over 7 months.)

I rarely use my two PC laptops becuase I am sick of windows, tired of seeing blue screens and having to F around because I have to hit ALT+CTRL+DEL and close half a dozen programs.

And on OEM PCs? The first thing I always did was format and install a clean OS off one of my OEM cds (of course the license was covered). Why? OEM's always load the machines up with proprietary crap that slugs down the machine.

The one reason I love my mac? It just works. I go to web sites, play quake3, rtcw, everything, and no lag accross the system. I edit stuff, and not worry that word is going to crash when I click save, etc (this happened too many times on my PC)

About the only thing that's pissed me off with apple computers is how they gave me a lemon, and try to deny it like the blood suckers they are. Now it's overheating and crashing like a litlte b*tch. That's about my only complaint, unbelievably half the time my brother's imac feels snappier (because this machine is so Fed up)

Heck, it was even damaged by the repair people, but did apple fix it no!!!!!!!!!!! They sit there explaining how it isn't their problem.

I'm soooo tempted to ruin the stupid company's reputation.. Grrrrrrrrr. So many people dislike apple computers it wouldn't be hard. "15 year old gets ripped off with lemon computer.. manufacturer denies the defects"

KellyHogan
Banned
May 24, 2002, 03:04 AM

<STRONG>

I can confirm right now that my dp800 ran circles, many many circles around my p3 933.

Way too many circles, kelly, you are really kidding yourself this time. Even web browsing is faster on the mac.

</STRONG>
The DP800 isn't in the current range. It is also not faster than a P3-933 (which I didn't even mention) in web browsing. There is not Mac in existence faster at web broswing unless you have faster connection than any Windows box you have seen.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 03:23 AM

<STRONG>

The DP800 isn't in the current range. It is also not faster than a P3-933 (which I didn't even mention) in web browsing. There is not Mac in existence faster at web broswing unless you have faster connection than any Windows box you have seen.</STRONG>
That's because your brain is the size of a peanut and you don't know how to use a mac

I learned how to tweak a PC really damn good, and the same with OS X, yes X browses fast (especially if you use chimera)

KellyHogan
Banned
May 24, 2002, 03:27 AM

<STRONG>

That's because your brain is the size of a peanut and you don't know how to use a mac

I learned how to tweak a PC really damn good, and the same with OS X, yes X browses fast (especially if you use chimera)</STRONG>

Can you give me the 'tweak' that makes Macs fast at web browsing?

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2002, 03:53 AM

<STRONG>The speed of mpeg 2 decoding has nothing to do with the OS. iDVD has very fast encoding because it has a great codec. If that same codec was running on XP with a 2Ghz CPU it would just be incredibly fast. Too fast.</STRONG>
It's not the codec. It's the "encoder" encoding to a codec that's really fast.

<STRONG>All I know is to upgrade my Gateway w/ 1 GHz PIII to a P4 involves a new motherboard. 1k + right now in total for processor and board.

So I think macs have it better.</STRONG>
Ok, this is really bad rhetoric. Can you upgrade your "G3" to the newest G4? No? Then don't give this kind of BS. You can upgrade a PII to a PIII pretty readily most of the time...

<STRONG>I actually already upgraded the PC. What I wound up with was mostly a new PC. Just putting in a 1.8 PIV resulted in a new enclosure and Power Supply, Motherboard, Rambus Memory, Network card (old one was old style bus EISA??) , Copy of XP, and a bigger HD, And I figured a new GF3 should top it off. I think I kept the floppy drive and the old cd drive. Maybe 50 bucks worth..</STRONG>
Then either
A) this is your bad for not doing your research. Upgrading to a PIV is stupid since it wound up costing you a lot of cash.
B) you could have saved yourself a lot of money going with a Athlon/PIII 1.0Ghz+ proc and a ATX motherboard to fit your case (or just a motherboard that would fit your case). You would not have needed to spend money on:
RAM, HDD, Network Card (get an integrated motherboard), Power Supply, new enclosure, floppy or CD drive.

Please. Trying to brag how the Mac is better by displaying your stupidity is not a good thing.

<STRONG>As far as adding more CD drives to my Mac, you are wrong. It also has an external SCSI CDRW drive as well as a SCSI DAT backup tape drive. It also has in internal SCSI hard drive as well. I also use a firewire hard drive.

Now do you really think you can get a four year old PC to run all of that stuff using XP?
</STRONG>
You can, but that seems beyond the point. It's up to the vendor to provide support.

<STRONG>The DP800 isn't in the current range. It is also not faster than a P3-933 (which I didn't even mention) in web browsing. There is not Mac in existence faster at web broswing unless you have faster connection than any Windows box you have seen.
</STRONG>
Webbrowsing!?!? WTF? Should we bring out Photoshop/MediaCleaner comparisons too?

Obviously, some platforms are better at somethings than others. Sun's may make great servers, but not home office machines. Windows might be good for web browsing, but it sucks for content creation. Mac's may be good at content creation, but they lack in web browsing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2002, 03:57 AM

<STRONG>Can you give me the 'tweak' that makes Macs fast at web browsing?</STRONG>
This coming from someone who can write a driver to make QE work on a Rage 128? Kelly, you should be able to write the fastest browswer out there. Compared to writing device drivers, this should be trivial...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 04:01 AM

<STRONG>

Can you give me the 'tweak' that makes Macs fast at web browsing?</STRONG>
Get chimera 0.2.7, and use it.

KellyHogan
Banned
May 24, 2002, 04:16 AM

<STRONG>

Get chimera 0.2.7, and use it.

</STRONG>
Bwahahaha

KellyHogan
Banned
May 24, 2002, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Metzen:
<STRONG>

This coming from someone who can write a driver to make QE work on a Rage 128? Kelly, you should be able to write the fastest browswer out there. Compared to writing device drivers, this should be trivial...</STRONG>
If Microsoft can map apps to polygons four years ago then surely the great and wonderfully amazing Mac engineers could have supported their recent machines by accelerating their interfaces and making them a bit more usable. But then, considering that sorry excuse of a file manager that comes with OSX I can understand the reasons. )

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 04:19 AM

<STRONG>

Bwahahaha</STRONG>
I'm serious.. besides why would I take a serious *uckhead like you seriously?

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2002, 05:06 PM

<STRONG>If Microsoft can map apps to polygons four years ago then surely the great and wonderfully amazing Mac engineers could have supported their recent machines by accelerating their interfaces and making them a bit more usable. But then, considering that sorry excuse of a file manager that comes with OSX I can understand the reasons. )</STRONG>
Oh? Where is this mythical MS interface that maps apps to polygons? In a research lab? Give me a break! Show me a product.

Not that they are bad UI's mind you...

Ok... They are actually pretty pathetic...

*shudder*

Thank god we're getting Quartz Extreme and not the MS "3D Hardware accelerated" interfaces Kelly wants...
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules