Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Good, Small Scanner anyone?

Good, Small Scanner anyone?
hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 01:11 PM

Hey all,

Anyone have any good suggestions for a small, slim (maybe sheet fed portable) scanner that is compatible with Intel Macs? I'm looking for something that doesn't occupy a lot of space, but that i can use to scan in sketches and diagrams.

thanks!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 01:37 PM

I'm a big fan of Canon's LiDE (or however it's capitalized) series of scanners. They're the size of a laptop, weigh little, get both power and data through the USB cable, and make nice scans. And they're pretty cheap.

I don't think I've seen a portable sheet-fed scanner for a Mac for years and years.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 11:10 PM

Two votes for the LiDE models. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's hasn't been rendered obsolete yet by Canon or OSX and their updating or lack thereof.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 11:39 PM

Another happy LiDe customer here. The included software is a bit clunky, in my opinion, but it's a great portable scanner.

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 8, 2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Two votes for the LiDE models. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's hasn't been rendered obsolete yet by Canon or OSX and their updating or lack thereof.
Mine has, but maybe it's a couple of years older than yours.

Another option is a compact all in one - The HP psc1200 series is excellent value for money.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2006, 04:33 PM

LiDE 60 for me.
To be determined later.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2006, 06:51 PM

LiDE 500f user right here. Love the thing to death! And the software with it is amazing.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 8, 2006, 08:26 PM

I've been using an inexpensive Canon scanner (CanoScan 650U) with my PC for YEARS. The thing is a workhorse. Canon builds stuff right; I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 04:10 AM

I'm considering the Canon LiDE 600, which seems ideal for photos and such, but then I also have a lot of papers to scan. The Canon Pixma MP530 is looking pretty nice with not a large drop in scan resolution plus a 30 page sheet feeder...

Forum Links
Forum Rules