Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Reason to buy a MacPro

Reason to buy a MacPro
utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2007, 07:27 PM

Just wondering what your reason was or will be to buy / bought a MacPro ..

I don't own one yet and although I don't have a professional need for it (video editing for example) I know I will get one in the near future ..

My reason : I want to have a PC where all the components work together as designed .. without bluescreens etc. etc.

Since my PC died and I needed rather a laptop I bought a MacBook .. The reason was simply I couldn't decide if I get an IBM or Sony and neither were delivering to Gibraltar (where I live) - their fault, my luck since I found on accident a shop here which sells Mac ...

Since I now enjoyed the most stable system I have had for years I decided to get a Mac Pro regardless the high price .. So I don't have a professional use, but I want to enjoy a stable perfect system. The good thing : I have already 16 GB here from previous server

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 07:44 PM

I bought my Mac Pro after having owned a Mac Book because I wanted the most upgradeable Mac I could buy. I can easily upgrade the RAM,HD, GPU, Optical drive.... even the cpus with a bit of effort. The Mac Book was great, but for my non-professional use it just wasn't cutting it.. If I could have both a Mac Pro and a Mac Book, that would be the ideal setup.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 09:44 AM

I bought a macpro for a number of reasons.
1. The PowerPC could not boot windows, but with parallels and bootcamp I have that ability. I need to use windows to connect to my company, this saves me having a pc.
2. Expansion, 4 bays, allows plenty of storage capability
3. Better GPU alternatives then an imac and mini
4. Longevity - by getting such a fast machine I hope to stretch the time of needing a new machine
5. Aperture, Photoshop - I want a machine with some horsepower to handle those apps.
6. SPEED - this baby is FAST.

To be honest, I purchased my Macpro before the 24" iMac came out, and other then reason #2 & #3, I would have been pleased to get that. Now don't get me wrong, I've had no buyers remorse but the 24" iMac is no slouch.
Michael

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2007, 06:17 PM

Another reason for me : Clean PC .. what I mean : Look inside of a normal PC with 4 HDD ... those cable ... horrible Look inside of a Mac Pro : beautiful

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I bought a macpro for a number of reasons.
1. The PowerPC could not boot windows, but with parallels and bootcamp I have that ability. I need to use windows to connect to my company, this saves me having a pc.
2. Expansion, 4 bays, allows plenty of storage capability
3. Better GPU alternatives then an imac and mini
4. Longevity - by getting such a fast machine I hope to stretch the time of needing a new machine
5. Aperture, Photoshop - I want a machine with some horsepower to handle those apps.
6. SPEED - this baby is FAST.

To be honest, I purchased my Macpro before the 24" iMac came out, and other then reason #2 & #3, I would have been pleased to get that. Now don't get me wrong, I've had no buyers remorse but the 24" iMac is no slouch.
That's the reason I want a Mac Pro, and the first reason of Boot Camp plus Intel was the reason I went back to using Mac's (cost was a bit of a downer)

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post

I don't own one yet and although I don't have a professional need for it (video editing for example) I know I will get one in the near future ..

My reason : I want to have a PC where all the components work together as designed .. without bluescreens etc. etc.

Since my PC died and I needed rather a laptop I bought a MacBook .. The reason was simply I couldn't decide if I get an IBM or Sony and neither were delivering to Gibraltar (where I live) - their fault, my luck since I found on accident a shop here which sells Mac ...

Since I now enjoyed the most stable system I have had for years I decided to get a Mac Pro regardless the high price .. So I don't have a professional use, but I want to enjoy a stable perfect system. The good thing : I have already 16 GB here from previous server
That RAM better be FB-DIMM's.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

They are FB-DIMMs but with a smaller heatsink ..

hotdogsoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 12:51 AM

I was torn between the 24 inch Imac and the Mac Pro, and I have no buyers remorse either, I do not do anything professional with it, but I have hours of DV tape of my children, and tons of photos, I but the Pro for the upgradeable storage space, and it should be fast enough for me for several years. This is my first Mac and I am blown away.
Mac Pro
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
2 GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
LG 22" Wide Screen Monitor: Model# L226WT

Altered_Ego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 03:13 PM

As a current PC user, looking to Macs, I've gone two ways:

1.) The iMacs look great because they take up little desk space. Oh, but they really can't be upgraded the way a PC can.

2.) The Mac Pro appeals to my "macho techno geek" instincts. Hey, I can upgrade those!

I'm very pleased by the apparent ease of installing new hard drives. But the pictures and description of upgrading RAM leave me whimpering.

I'm "retired," and don't make any money from my hobby-pursuits. (Mainly "creating art" with Poser, etc.)

I'd like to eventually try to make videos for amusement. I want a computer that will handle my ambitious desires.

Perhaps a 24" iMac might handle my desires, but a Mac Pro surely would offer more power than I'd ever need, even if it's the "base" model with 2 GB of RAM.

And, boy, does that Mac Pro look sexy!

I could easily afford to buy a Mac Pro, "just this once."

So now I keep waiting till I get some anticipated money, and drooling.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 14, 2007, 05:14 PM

I bought the 24 inch iMac and love it. I use iMovie and make movies from camcording family events. With 2gb ram, does pretty good. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab a refub 2ghz macpro for 1899.00 so ordered that. Looking for faster rendering of my videos and plan on upgrading to FCP and know the iMac will probably bog down with only 3gb ram max. I drool for 8-16gb ram for processing. Cant wait until it arrives next week.
Randy

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2007, 05:34 PM

My first computer was a Mac Classic...and I've switched back and forth over the years, but had been on PC for the past 6-7. I had been wanting to switch back, and it was really time to upgrade...plus I wasn't comfortable with Vista. It was either Xeons from Dell/HP/Alienware or Apple, went with Apple (who incidentally were cheaper too)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 06:15 PM

I am going to teach Digital media at my work...so since I know Mac I put in for 4 MacPro's with 23" studio displays
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 08:19 PM

For a long time I had a Powerbook + A Desktop PC for gaming. The Mac Pros came out when my 1Ghz G4 powerbook was getting pretty old, and the gaming PC wasn't as quick as it once was. Really, they both needed replacement and the Mac Pro let me do that. Also, the powerbook starting feeling pretty slow after I got a DSLR camera, and I realized I could be looking at chewing through a lot of drive space over the next 2-3 years. I also had a pair of 20" dell monitors so I knew I wanted a Mac that I could run a multi monitor config.

I looked at maybe getting a new laptop + upgrading my PC but the cost of that easily hit the $2499 cost of the base Pro, so I told myself it made financial sense, too Now my desktop does everything in one case, my G4 powerbook does mail + im and I'll probably turn my old PC into a DVR.

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

voo
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2007, 05:46 PM

Another reason for me : Clean PC .. what I mean : Look inside of a normal PC with 4 HDD ... those cable ... horrible Look inside of a Mac Pro : beautiful
Like this?

Example with a lot of hard drives in a PC.

Though look at this for funkyness!

Though this is the cleanest PC I've seen to match the Mac Pro's insides, but you still see cables or a lot of them...

against the Mac Pro.

danviento
Apr 16, 2007, 03:02 AM

I don't have the money right now for a Mac Pro, but certainly do want one. I started using Logic Pro back on an old CRT eMac when I saw they had an educational price for only $325. Needless to say, that was not working out so well. @ years later, I got a 1.67 Ghz PowerBook. Finally, i thought, I can run all of my animation & design software and Logic without it hitting the speed & memory barrier. Sadly, it hits that all too soon. Once you have all of these fancy sound modeling tools, you want to have to option to use any of them at any time. I still have issues editting and mixing tracks to the point where my hobby sits by the wayside.

The MacPro should be the answer to my prayers. Anyone know where the wall is in terms of processing power and synths like Sculpture and ESX24? Even Ultrabeat has issues when I'm changing track/voice parameters. This kind of ability and interface is what makes the program so valuable, but I don't have the live editting experience toted by its ads .

Klipse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 05:46 AM

if the mac pro came with C2D processors and not xeon ones, i'm sure the prices will be much lower and more people will make the switch that's for sure.. for that price, it's a little steep for me I might have to be contented with my PC rig for games

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2007, 07:26 AM

My reasons:

1. My MDD was getting a bit long in the tooth.
2. I wanted something expandable. More than 2GB of RAM. Drives.
3. The CPUs in the Mac Pro were upgradable.
4. Parallels. Because I really wanted to get rid of the Windows laptop that occupied my desk. (This is kind of related to reason #2. Since my Windows setup requires quite a bit of RAM, the Mac Pro was the only alternative.)

I needed a new machine. I held off from buying a PowerMac G5 because I didn't like the water cooling. The fear of springing a leak would always be in the back of my mind. Also, I don't see any CPU upgrades coming for the PowerMac G5s anytime soon.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

nerd
Senior User
Apr 16, 2007, 05:45 PM

I just ordered a Mac Pro yesterday to replace my Dual 2ghz G5. My only true motivation is better Aperture performance. Well okay, and exporting HD EyeTV encodings won't take as long either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules