Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Don't know what's going on but the web is broken

Don't know what's going on but the web is broken
lexapro
Baninated
Dec 28, 2008, 02:04 PM

Is anyone else having major issues right now? I am in MA and using Comcast. The web is broken and friends from all over are saying they cannot get to many sites and it's super slow.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 02:20 PM

Are your friends all on Comcast? Are they all on some type of cable? I'm not having any problem at all, but my tubz are way far away from yours.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 28, 2008, 02:21 PM

Yes I am on Comcast. So are my friends as I have asked them. Can it be specific to them?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 02:28 PM

Sounds like a Comcast problem. The "web" is not going to broken everywhere at once if that is what you are asking.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 28, 2008, 02:37 PM

Not sure what I am asking! Not really a tech person. Is this happening for anyone else?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2008, 02:52 PM

I'm in southern New England also but use Cox Cable internet service. Some sites have been slow for me also. It took me three tries to get to Amazon's front page today. The first attempts just displayed a blank white screen and never loaded the page. This also happened with other sites over the past week or so.

I tend to think it's due to heavy internet traffic, but I don't know.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2008, 02:58 PM

Having some problems on Comcast here in MI as well. Seems a lot slower than usual.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2008, 03:35 PM

I know that during the big storm last week Comcast's offices in Chelmsford, MA lost power and they had to bring in generators to keep things going. Probably not the same issue now, but with the way the weather's been, there could easily be other problems liked downed lines and such.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 03:48 PM

I suspect terrorism. I'm pretty sure that Comcast would be a high priority target for the worlds evil-doers.

My DSL is flying fine... but I'm ever vigilant.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

RhymesWithOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2008, 04:04 PM

They must be changing the tubes.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 04:21 PM

Instead of relying on the anecdotes of others, why not test this for yourself? Find some sites that accept ICMP (ping) traffic, and conduct a ping test to see if there is packet loss. Find some sites that you can traceroute as well, try these tests. Google for a ping tool to test pinging these same sites from different parts of the world if you can. Find out whether the problem only involves websites (it probably doesn't), and if it does try accessing these sites from a different account on your computer to make sure the problem isn't local. See if you can access other network services other than websites. If the problem is with network connectivity, don't tell Comcast that you are having problems accessing websites or else their hourly paid phone drones (if they have any) will probably fixate on that as being a local issue. Make sure you aren't being assigned a 169 IP address. Try power cycling your modem and router.

There are lots of things that you can do to test and troubleshoot. It is better to invest your energy researching how to do this than to simply ask other people for their anecdotal experiences - many of which will end up being unreliable and/or irrelevant anyway. There are many variables to account for, troubleshooting involves looking at these one at a time.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 04:29 PM

My verizon DSL is down. At least I have my iPhone
~Mike

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 04:30 PM

^^ *ahem*

Originally Posted by lexapro
Not sure what I am asking! Not really a tech person.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
^^ *ahem*
I'm just trying to help her formulate her troubleshooting tactics so that she can be productive in solving this issue, I thought I would start by throwing out a whole bunch of ideas so that we can figure out a starting place.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm just trying to help her formulate her troubleshooting tactics so that she can be productive in solving this issue, I thought I would start by throwing out a whole bunch of ideas so that we can figure out a starting place.
Oh, I got that.

I just think perhaps shooting off terms like ICMP/ping traffic, packet losses, traceroutes, and such things might not be the best way to start out to someone who claims not to be a ‘tech person’.

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2008, 10:16 PM

'Nother round o' DNS poisoning mayhaps?

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Instead of relying on the anecdotes of others
Oh, yeah, sure... why don't we just shut down the lounge, get real jobs, quite smoking, cut back on the meth and go watch the latest Disney flick. Geez, man, think about what you are saying.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 01:29 AM

Perhaps this might be related to your problems today?

Did the Midwest kill the Internet today?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 29, 2008, 02:01 AM

Ctrl + alt + delete ^_^

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 02:37 PM

I always suspect Comcast, even if I am away from home on another ISP.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 03:31 PM

Well it appears my internet outage is over. I'll not know for sure until I get home but so far (based on what my wife told me) its promising. The Verizon dude had to repair something up on the pole. The high winds I suspect broke something free and caused the problem.

I hope its repaired, it took an hour on the phone to india to get a person sent out to repair it, I really don't want to go through that again if I can help it.
~Mike

-Q-
Dec 30, 2008, 09:13 AM

Having the same issue in Western MA while visiting family (and they're comcast customers). Page load times are sucktacular, with Amazon being unusable at times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules