Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > need help with airport extreme, mac pro, mini, and iphone

need help with airport extreme, mac pro, mini, and iphone
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010, 03:28 PM

I need help getting my iPhone to connect to my Mac mini. I use an iPhone app called Air Mouse to control my mini, which is currently just a media server.

Here's what I've got:

Basement:
- Cable modem
- Airport Extreme (plugged directly into cable modem and broadcasting secure wireless network)

Main floor:
- Mac Pro (connected to Airport via ethernet)
-Mac mini (connected to Mac Pro via ethernet using internet sharing)

Anywhere:
-iPhone (connects to wireless network)

My problem is that AIr Mouse won't connect to its server running on the mini. I think this is because the mini is plugged into my Mac Pro and not directly into the Airport, since it works with the latter configuration.

Since my Mac Pro contains the bulk of my media, I need to plug the mini directly into the Pro so that I can achieve gigabit ethernet speeds.

Is there some way to get this to work without having to run another ethernet cable from the mini down to the cable modem?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 17, 2010, 07:39 PM

What device controls IP addresses for your network? it sounds like you have multiple DHCP servers-the AEBS and the MP's Internet Sharing-running at the same time. This causes a problem; you will have two (or more) different networks that do not directly communicate. I don't know how you might turn off DHCP in Internet Sharing...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What device controls IP addresses for your network?
It should be (I want it to be) my AEBS in the basement.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
it sounds like you have multiple DHCP servers-the AEBS and the MP's Internet Sharing-running at the same time. This causes a problem; you will have two (or more) different networks that do not directly communicate. I don't know how you might turn off DHCP in Internet Sharing...
I see what you're saying. Suppose I try to avoid the internet sharing on the Mac Pro altogether. If I were to hook up a switch (I don't have one "handy," but I can order one) to the end of the ethernet line coming from the AEBS in the basement, and then connect the MP and the mini to the switch... will that work?

BTW, I need to have the router in the basement because I have two printers and, occasionally, a MacBook hard-wired to it.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:53 PM. )
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 17, 2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
If I were to hook up a switch (I don't have one "handy," but I can order one) to the end of the ethernet line coming from the AEBS in the basement, and then connect the MP and the mini to the switch... will that work?
It'll work fine.

ibook_steve
Mar 17, 2010, 09:10 PM

Yes, a switch is probably the best way to go.

But you could try something else I sometimes do when I'm using hotel Internet. A lot of times, Air Mouse or the Logitech mouse app (Touchmouse) can't find my MBP on the hotel network. Manually entering the IP address doesn't work either (may be because of a firewall or something else they have installed). So if the hotel has a wired Internet connection, I set up Internet Sharing on my MBP and set my iPod Touch to access the Internet through the shared connection instead of the hotel's wireless. The mouse app can then easily control my MBP when I connect it to the hotel TV for watching Hulu!

In other words, do this with your mini. Enable Internet sharing, sharing the ethernet connection over Airport, and use the wifi from your mini to connect on the iPhone. Not as easy as a switch, but it will work in a pinch.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2010, 03:09 AM

If I were to hook up a switch (I don't have one "handy," but I can order one) to the end of the ethernet line coming from the AEBS in the basement, and then connect the MP and the mini to the switch... will that work?
That will work if you set up the router in bridge mode. IOW you have to make sure the router does not do any DHCP/NAT stuff of its own.

But if you can (that is if 802.11n speed is sufficient on the Mac mini), I'd try Steve's suggestion first. I use that same trick in hotel rooms too and it usually works just fine.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2010, 08:28 AM

With the router (AEBS) in bridge mode, will I not be able to use my printers, etc. that are connected to it in the basement?

EDIT: Also.. what about my wireless networking? Excuse my inexperience if this is a stupid question.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2010, 08:39 AM

If it's in bridge mode you should be able to keep on using everything else as usual.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2010, 08:45 AM

Ok... so that I understand... the switch will be my router and my AEBS in bridge mode will act as a hub simply to provide extra ports (both wired and wireless) through the switch will distribute IP addresses, right?

BTW, this is the switch I ordered.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 18, 2010, 11:49 AM

Ok... so that I understand... the switch will be my router and my AEBS in bridge mode will act as a hub simply to provide extra ports (both wired and wireless) through the switch will distribute IP addresses, right?
No that is all way too complicated. Just turn off internet sharing, connect the switch to the ethernet cable the Mac Pro is currently using, connect both the Pro and the Mini to the switch, and don't change anything else, and it will all work.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2010, 11:59 AM

Heh, ok. That's what I'll do. Will report tomorrow when switch arrives.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010, 12:45 AM

Plugged it up..no changes to any settings.. working perfectly.

BTW, that switch I ordered (Trendnet TEG-S50g) must have a lead weight inside of it, because it is the first networking switch I've seen that has enough weight to not be pulled around and about by stiff wires. Not bad for $15.

Thanks again for the help!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules