Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finder sidebar shared items (lion)

finder sidebar shared items (lion)
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011, 09:16 AM

I'd like to get rid of some of the junk in the "Shared" section of my Finder sidebar.

"Mac-Pro" seems to be a duplicate of my computer. It is utterly worthless (at least to me) as there's nothing there when you click on it. I'm guessing it's Bonjour-related because it disappears (sort of- more on that in a minute) when I uncheck "Bonjour computers" in the sidebar preferences.

I know "brn_981efe" is somehow related to my Brother printer (DCP 8065DN). It also disappears when I uncheck for it to show Bonjour stuff. I would like for it to disappear forever, as I never use it.

I want to keep my Mac mini on the list, since I access those files frequently.

Like I said, if I uncheck "Bonojour computers" in the sidebar preferences, the things go away from the sidebar, but not really, since it adds a new icon called "All..." that just lets you see the useless junk anyway:

Please help me clean up my Finder sidebar. I hate clutter!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2011, 06:25 PM

If you uncheck Back To My Mac, Connected Servers and Bonjour Computers then everything including "All" will disappear. If you leave any of those ticked, then "All" stays put.

Beyond that I suspect you're out of luck.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules