Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SOS- OS X shuts machine down right after power on

SOS- OS X shuts machine down right after power on
lexapro
Baninated
Aug 23, 2008, 11:42 PM

Please help me. The strangest thing is happening moments after I turn on my MacBook. This is the same MacBook which I am writing you on which has BootCamp and Windows XP on. I hate the fact that I am on XP now and have to write you about this but here it goes....

the other day I powered on my MacBook but a moment later as the Apple logo appeared and the little spinning thing showed up I accidently turned it off. Don't ask how or why, but it happened. Since then whenever the Apple logo shows up and the spinning thing appears my MacBook automatically shuts off. It just goes dead. I tried booting into single user mode and running the check but it comes back with some weird error. I tried the zap P_RAM but that didnt seem to help. Can anyone offer ideas? I am running the latest version of 10.5, all the updates installed, etc etc. No special hacks. Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2008, 11:49 PM

Boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility from there. Choose Repair Disk.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 12:13 AM

Problem is that the DVD is with a family member who is many miles away. We purchased the family DVD of Leopard. I do not have immediate access to the DVD for at least a week or three.

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2008, 12:18 AM

Do you have another Intel Mac? You could put yours in Firewire target disk mode and hook it up to another Mac. From there run Disk Utility to repair your hard drive.

If single user mode won't take and you don't have another Mac, a third-party disk repair utility, or the Leopard disc (and I assume you don't have the Leopard DVD imaged to a separate partition on an external drive), then there aren't any more troubleshooting options open to you.

What I think happened, based off your narrative and the symptoms, is that your Mac incurred directory or other filesystem damage to OS X when you powered it off during boot.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 12:25 AM

Yes, file system damage makes sense, but I thought ext3 was supposed to remedy this? Do you think that Disk Warrior should help? Perhaps I should just get myself a copy of Leopard.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2008, 12:39 AM

DiskWarrior is always a good bet. Another thing you can try is Single-User Mode. If you hold down Command-S at startup until you get a command line, then type the following commands, it will do the same thing as running Disk Utility from the install DVD:

/sbin/fsck -fy

(repeat until you get a message saying the disk is OK)

/sbin/reboot

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
DiskWarrior is always a good bet. Another thing you can try is Single-User Mode. If you hold down Command-S at startup until you get a command line, then type the following commands, it will do the same thing as running Disk Utility from the install DVD:

/sbin/fsck -fy

(repeat until you get a message saying the disk is OK)

/sbin/reboot
Right. See above, no matter how many time I run fsck -fy it gives me the same error over and over and over no matter how many times I run it. I even used the mount command and it didn't help. Any other ideas? I think I'll have to find another Mac or get Disk Warrior.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Right. See above, no matter how many time I run fsck -fy it gives me the same error over and over and over no matter how many times I run it. I even used the mount command and it didn't help. Any other ideas? I think I'll have to find another Mac or get Disk Warrior.
If you have said that in this thread, I can't see it...

What error does it give you? What did you try to mount?

Edit: OK I found it, 'the check' and 'weird error'.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 06:10 PM

Going to reboot now and copy down the "weird error msg". Be back in a few minutes.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 06:47 PM

Here is the exact error message. This same one appears no matter how many times I run the fsck.

** CHECKING CATALOG FILE
INVALID SIBLING LINK
(4, 20617)
** VOLUME CHECK FAILED.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
If this is enlightening to anyone and allows for a solution without the use of another Mac or any other CD/DVDs then I will be forever grateful. Thank you.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 06:51 PM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2008, 06:53 PM

Fair enough, I was just about to link you to the same thing on Mac OS X hints.

It might not work in single user mode but it's worth a try.

zykron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2008, 06:55 PM

Apple's discussion forums suggest doing the same thing, at least for internal drives.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Aug 24, 2008, 07:05 PM

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took about 10 minutes, but I followed the process there and I am now posting from my working OS X volume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heart OS X!

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2008, 09:07 PM

Great. Thanks for posting back with your fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules