Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Deleting temporary internet files

Deleting temporary internet files
paul55555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2011, 02:34 PM

Other than browser history, is there any place in my MacPro-10.6.8 that Temp Internet files (or equivalent) are stored. If so, how can they be deleted please?

Thank You

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2011, 02:54 PM

The browser's cache. Which browser are you running ?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2011, 03:19 PM

Desperate post in the wrong forum... have you been naughty, Paul?

Or since your last post was a hit and run too, should we wait for a spammer to show up in this thread?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2011, 03:21 PM

Assuming it is Safari:
Safari menu > Empty Cache…

( Last edited by angelmb; Jul 9, 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: to add an image for clarification purposes)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2011, 03:32 PM

Also, there is the bunch of cookies stores in your computer.

Safari > Preferences… Security pane > 'Show Cookies' button. Delete those you "don't like" being stored there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Assuming it is Safari:
Safari menu > Empty Cache…

If you know in advance that you're going to be surfing sites you don't want traceable on the machine, then use the "Private Browsing" function in that menu there.

If you intend to do something illegal, or wish to erase traces of where you've been to external scrutiny, be advised that your ISP knows who you are and when you log in under what IP address..

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2011, 04:01 PM

There are a lot of cache cleaning utilities out there, many of them are free. Onyx is highly regarded.

paul55555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks much for all the replies. I use Firefox and do clean the cache often. However, in my ignorance, I assumed there were records or files similar to PC Temp Internet Files somewhere in my Mac. My principal interest is keeping the machine as clean as possible. This is what I should have been more clear about. I'll check out Onyx.

BTW, other than posting in wrong forum, I do not understand the following: "Desperate post in the wrong forum... have you been naughty, Paul?

Or since your last post was a hit and run too, should we wait for a spammer to show up in this thread?"

i mean no harm, intentional or otherwise. What is "hit and run" and how does spamming apply to my past or future post?

Worried-Paul

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 02:31 AM

I use Intego's Washing Machine. Not free though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by paul55555 View Post
BTW, other than posting in wrong forum, I do not understand the following: "Desperate post in the wrong forum... have you been naughty, Paul?
Well, you've obviously been doing some surfing that you feel you need to remove all traces of…

Originally Posted by paul55555 View Post
Or since your last post was a hit and run too, should we wait for a spammer to show up in this thread?"

i mean no harm, intentional or otherwise. What is "hit and run" and how does spamming apply to my past or future post?
It is common spamming technique to post a query that a second henchman will respond to a few days later, recommending a commercial product. Both will be newly registered members with no previous posting history. "Hit and run" because both will post their call-and-response, and never be heard from again.

Since your last post was just a query as well, and you never actually responded to any of the feedback posted, your MO could have fit with a spammer's.

I think we can safely rule out that possibility, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2011, 06:23 AM

Spheric Harlot is correct in pointing out the "plea for help" spamming technique, and that your post looked a lot like that sort of thing. Don't tell the spammers, but we see this all the time, and we're onto them.

Anyway, unlike Windows browsers, just about every Mac browser keeps browser cache stuff ... In the browser cache. One flush does it all for Safari, Firefox, etc in Mac OS browsers. Getting all the remnants takes a little more work, which the third-party apps take care of.

Yes, we're a suspicious bunch, but you'll notice we don't have much spam laying about either...

Oh, and welcome to our forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

paul55555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2011, 11:45 AM

Again, Thank you all for the very informative posts. I have tried to respond to past posts out of technical necessity and common courtesy. There have been a few occasions when it was impossible to do so in a timely manner. My sincere apology is offered. Thank you for the welcome.

Paul

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 01:53 PM

Weird, there was a reply below mine that is not longer there, has it 'volatilized' ??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 04:11 PM

Weird, there was a reply below mine that is not longer there, has it 'volatilized' ??
Yeah, I remember somebody commenting on that Intego thing being "very powerful".

Odd.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2011, 07:11 PM

May want to delete flash cookies as well. I made my Macromedia folder read only so it can't save any flash cookies. Think the folder is
/User’s Home Folder/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/
but I just locked the Macromedia level. There are plenty of Flash cookie removers out there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
May want to delete flash cookies as well. I made my Macromedia folder read only so it can't save any flash cookies. Think the folder is
but I just locked the Macromedia level. There are plenty of Flash cookie removers out there.
Or, just use the Flash Player preference pane in the System Preferences to block Cookies entirely.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 02:31 AM

That's why I like Washing Machine, I just create a given Smart Cleanlist for a given software or kind of items o even by size and I just have to clic over Clean… and it is gone. Sure there are other apps that do something similar but this is very convenient.

Thorzdad
Jul 12, 2011, 07:32 AM

Spammers have a way of disappearing like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules