Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best video format across all Apple software/devices?

Best video format across all Apple software/devices?
willed
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2011, 11:06 AM

I'm currently getting rid of a load of video rushes that are taking up hundreds of gigs, and am exporting the final edits to a more efficient format.

So far I've used .mp4, H.264 at 720p (or lower).

That plays fine in iTunes on the desktop, and on my Apple TV.

However, videos don't show up on my (first gen) iPod Touch. I have to use the iTunes 'convert video for iPod / iPhone' option.

There's also an option 'convert video for iPad / Apple TV'.

Obviously I don't want separate versions for every media playing device that I own (as Apple seems to imply is needed).

What would be the format that best fills these criteria?:
1) The higher the quality, the better
2) Plays across all modern Apple devices (going to get the next iPhone so iPod Touch 1G support not essential if things have moved on since then)
3) Can be exported directly by Final Cut Express

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 11:34 AM

The problem here is there are a few pieces of the h.264 codec which some portable devices can't deal with.

It's been awhile since I've done experiments, but yanking those make it look like crap on anything other than a tiny screen.

You should check out Handbrake which is free, lets you tweak all the h.264 settings, and explains what they all do (actually it's x.264, the open source version). At the least you can play with it until you find the best compromise settings, and then try to implement them in h.264 with FC.

Edit: just to be clear though, I'm not sure what the h.264 capabilities of current iPhones are. This just may not be an issue any more.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 01:25 PM

I'm using Handbrake's "High Profile" setting.

Works with iTunes, ATV, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4G and iPad1.
I think it's pretty universal.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's funny. I use Handbrake's Apple Universal. Is it "more" universal?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
That's funny. I use Handbrake's Apple Universal. Is it "more" universal?
Both are pretty much identical.

"High Profile" adds two filters: Detelecine and Decomb.
I've ripped videos that looked like crap without it. I think it's often older DVDs.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 04:44 PM

Oddly, I've had stuff that looks the same whether DT/DC is on or not, but try and upload it to YouTube, and the one without DC/DT is unwatchable at the 380p default. The one with looks smashing.

Totally counter intuitive. Took me a week to figure it out and then it was only by accident.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2011, 05:20 PM

I'm using Handbrake's "High Profile" setting.

Works with iTunes, ATV, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4G and iPad1.
The High Profile preset may not work with anything you listed (except iTunes) depending on the source. The Apple family of presets imposes the limitations needed for Apple device compatibility.

The OP's problem is the 1st gen iTouch, which is really limited in playback capability - no HD, no high profile, etc.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The High Profile preset may not work with anything you listed (except iTunes) depending on the source. The Apple family of presets imposes the limitations needed for Apple device compatibility.
What determines if it works?

It worked for me so far

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2011, 09:55 PM

What determines if it works?

It worked for me so far
Any source over 30fps will produce unplayable results (on Apple devices) with the HP preset, because it will produce >30fps output.

Similarly the HP preset doesn't enforce any of the resolution limits Apple's various devices have.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2011, 10:46 PM

Ah, ok. But ripping from DVDs, I shouldn't run into any issues. That's all I'm doing.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 09:42 AM

@willed

I think the chorus is in agreement: use Handbrake.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 11:36 AM

If you go the HandBrake route and drop 1st gen iTouch compatibility, the "AppleTV 2" preset is the best option for your devices/usage.

Ah, ok. But ripping from DVDs, I shouldn't run into any issues. That's all I'm doing.
Except for devices that don't support H.264 High Profile at any resolution/framerate, like the OP's 1st gen iTouch...

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

As it turns out, Handbrake High Profile is pretty much the same settings as I've been using (and doesn't work either on my iTouch 1G). I'm going to assume (hope) that the setting I'm using does work on newer iDevices.

I would use Handbrake, but it adds another step to the process (Export project from FCE
PLUS Convert using HandBrake). When each export / convert takes 10-20 minutes, that's not something I'm keen on doing for a couple of dozen videos.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 12:55 PM

Try using QT or Compressor to convert your file formats then say Handbrake is annoyingly slow.

For ripping SD DVDs, I tend not to bother with h264. I find it takes a lot longer to do and ends up with the same sort of file size as a straight mp4.
I save h264 for 720p or above (I don't usually bother with anything higher as my TV is only 720p though I do have a copy of Wall-E in 1080p).

Does a first gen Touch ever playback 720p? MacTracker says it only does 640 by 480 which matches my recollection.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Try using QT or Compressor to convert your file formats then say Handbrake is annoyingly slow.

For ripping SD DVDs, I tend not to bother with h264. I find it takes a lot longer to do and ends up with the same sort of file size as a straight mp4.
I save h264 for 720p or above (I don't usually bother with anything higher as my TV is only 720p though I do have a copy of Wall-E in 1080p).

Does a first gen Touch ever playback 720p? MacTracker says it only does 640 by 480 which matches my recollection.
Yeah I doubt the 1G Touch plays 720p... I just wish Apple wasn't so vague about it all. Videos quite happily appear in iTunes, and nothing implies that they won't work on your device, except for the fact they don't show up. There should be a little warning triangle or something, with an option to convert to another format.

And while they're at it, they should allow several resolutions to be stored in one video listing - one listing could contain portable, iPad and full HD versions.

Anyway, thanks again all!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
And while they're at it, they should allow several resolutions to be stored in one video listing - one listing could contain portable, iPad and full HD versions.
I'm reasonably certain I've seen that done. If only I could remember how.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules