Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac not until 2013???

New iMac not until 2013??? (Page 4)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM

il se pourrait maintenant que toute la gamme rate les fêtes de fin d'année.

Its possible that all models miss the end of year 'festivals' (like Xmas and New Years).

Why announce them so early then? Feels like I'm getting ****ed.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 PM

IT's not like they are delaying them on purpose, it seems to be an issue with the new stir welding process. That said it's pretty dumb that they didn't resolve these issues before announcing the product.

I can't imagine the damage to the brand that no iMacs over the holiday season will do, it's a major stuff up and a weird one too as Cook is supposed to be master of his supply chain. Maybe it's someone else's job now he's CEO. I can't see wall street being happy with Apple leaving all those holiday $$ on the table.

I must say I'm starting to get a wee bit worried. Maps was a stuff up. The whole Bob Mansfield in/out thing was idiotically handled, iPhone 5's aren't exactly flying out of the factories, now the iMac joins the list.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2012, 08:38 AM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/19/super_thin_imac_not_late/

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2012, 09:30 AM

Schweeeet
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2012, 04:29 AM

i hope i'm wrong but i'm afraid that the new imac has the potential to become a road apple. here's why:
1. too much emphasis has been placed on what this thing can't do. and with the lack of firewire and an optical drive there's a lot that it can't do. i don't really wish to start that debate all over again but it's a fact that there's been a lot of griping. a lot more griping than people licking their chops over what it can do.
2. price. i suspect that shortly after its release that apple will have to reduce its price a bit to move these things. and we all know how much that will piss off the early adoptees.
3. there have been all sorts of rumors pertaining to how difficult this thing is to build. i hope these rumors are not true because if they are it's not outside the realm of possibility to imagine there may be reliability problems. and can you imagine the nightmare of obtaining the repairs? i know that apple stands by their products and has a good warranty but it is inconvenient to take these things to a store for them to repair or ship it back.
i hope i'm wrong on all this. it does look nice but that didn't help the cube sell. and i see the possibility of this becoming another cube.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 AM

The cube was a form factor ahead of its time with some major fundamental, incurable common faults. This new iMac is an evolution of its predecessor. You can still add all the missing parts like firewire and an optical drive via Thunderbolt if you wish to do so, so thats pretty much a non0issue. One would hope that Apple is withholding these things to ensure they aren't going to get major reliability issues. Difficult to build does not necessarily mean unreliable.

If anything, combining the LCD and the glass panel is going to make it easier to work on these Macs. Half the problem with the last few versions is keeping the dust out of the damn things when you put them back together.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules